out of the shooting game for a while - ammo availability lately?

horseman308

We had our first kid almost a year ago and I was spending more time with other hobbies I'd let slide for a long time even before that, so I haven't fired a round in over a year. What's ammo availability like these days? I know it's been hard again since the '12 election. I stopped at my local walmart before Christmas and saw what I expected - mostly empty shelves of the common calibers (I'm mostly in need of 9mm and blackpowder - which ain't at Walmart anyway). So, I was just curious of the current state things.

Also, anyone have any experience with the remanufactured ammo from any of these places:

www.bitethebullet.co
www.freedommunitions.com
www.mastercast.net

I used to just get the 100rd winchester white boxes, but I figure they're hard to come by at the moment but it's time to shoot again, and I was just curious. Thanks!

B.N.Real

As bad as it's been.

Ammo is scarce and expensive.

I never thought I'd see a day when it would be like this.

And it's been like this for many years now.

You would think the ammo companies would be running at full tilt to feed the need but I think the raw materials are the choke point.

Everything is being used in other industries too now.

I don't expect this to end any time soon.

Really sad because it has definitely affected how much I shoot, what weapons I will buy and how many in the future too.

On the bright side, the price of new guns seems to have leveled off of insane to merely -o.k., I can buy but I'll have to save up a little while.

Used gun prices still give me a laugh.

I have a favorite hole in the wall type unfancy range I shoot at and they still have to ration the reloads they sell-eh, what can you do.

I am not a reloader.

Anyway, that's what I see here in Northern Virginia.

horseman308

Thanks, B.N. That's sort of what I thought. It's one of the reasons I always liked blackpowder guns. Cost per round is low, and so is the round count. But now I've got a nice 1911 and want to be able to shoot it some. It's in 9mm, so that's cheaper than .45, but it's still not really cheap, ya know?

I found 1000 round boxes of 115gr Remington UMC for $279 at Dick's Sporting Goods. This just a few weeks ago. The store I was at had multiple cases and no limit. I only bought one...

ammo

buy a pellet pistol or rifle! its that bad now or a blackpowder firearm. shotgun ammo is about only thing available without hunting for it in bulk buys.

Jo6pak

I'm seeing ample supplies of most cartridges, except .22
Prices are still a bit elevated and there are still often 2-3 box limits, but most shops have most ammo in stock.

Mannlicher

ammo is out there to buy, it's just spendy, and you may have to scrounge around a little.

components are in the same shape.

4runnerman

Can walmart ship it in for you?> I ask because here in Minn and ND,Walmart shelves are full to the rim with 9MM. In fact most all except 22lr is back in stock now.

Dragline45

You would think the ammo companies would be running at full tilt to feed the need but I think the raw materials are the choke point.

The ammo companies are running at full tilt, and there is no shortage of raw materials, that is far from the problem. Most ammo companies are dealing with a HUGE backlog and are just not able to meet the demand. Industry experts expect it wont level out for another 2 years or so.

Thing's have gotten better though, I can walk into my local shop most days and get anything in just about any caliber. There is no longer any limit on how much 9mm, .40, or .45acp you can buy at my local shop, and I just got an email that they have huge quantities of .223 that just came in. Prices have also come down a bit as far as what I can tell. Although .22lr is still hard to come by, but last time I was in the shop they had a bunch of 333 round federal bulk packs. I would have bought some but I had just bought a new gun and a bunch of 9mm.

Dc777

Ammo factories have brought in more equipment to up production andtheybare running 24 hours a day to produce .22 ammo. The problem with the .22 ammo isn't a shortage of it. The problem is the butt holes that don't even own a gun but buy up the ammo and sell it online to idiots that are willing to pay too much. If nobody in America bought .22 ammo for two days shelves would be full of it soon. The main culprit are the idiots that pay $60 or more per box to some piece of crap that bought it for $25. I've seen several people doing this. The same guys at the same walmarts at the same time.