Out of state resident needs a PA driver's license for a non-resident permit???

I went to the Mifflin County Sheriff's office today to renew my out-of-state permit. I'm a resident of Virginia, and have a permit that expires today.

I was informed that some of the operators at the state's hotline for permits are denying out-of-state applications if the non-resident does not have a Pennsylvania driver's license!

Has anyone else run into this? As far as I know, this is not required by the Pennsylvania law, and may be, in fact, illegal for an out-of-state resident to try to acquire a Pennsylvania license.

I have to call back at 2:30 today to see if my permit was processed (leaving to go back to Virginia tonight).

Trip20

Was this trip to PA specifically for renewal (I'm assuming it must be done in person in lieu of by mail)?

If so I'd be angry as hell! :eek:

Hope it works out for you.

In what county are you trying to renewal your permit?

No, it was for Christmas. My parents live in the county seat.

I've known the sheriff for 15 years, and he's known my family for almost 40.

I also just found that it's illegal for a non-PA resident to attempt to obtain a PA driver's license. State law passed in 2002 apparently in reponse to 9/11.

If I'm denied, the sheriff's office has to send me a certified letter stating why I was denied, and if the reason is I don't have a PA driver's license, my next call will be to the state attorney general's office.

USP45usp

IIRC, it's federal law that you can't have more than one DL anyway, that you get a license in the state you reside and only that state :confused:

If I am correct (unless the laws have changed), it's illegal for you to get a DL in a state that you don't reside and if they are making it mandatory then they are trying to make you break the law :mad: .

Wayne

*edited: Got to learn how to spell so Tyme doesn't make fun of me anymore :p

alan

Mike Irwin:

Glad to hear things worked out for you. Part of what you mentioned sounds like more Patriot Act Rubbish.

I was going to suggest that you contact the State Police or the Statre AG's office, but neither of those are necessary now.

Seasons greetings to you and yours.