Out of box accuracy

BoogieMan

I am going to buy a rifle for accuracy. High budget $1100 but prefer to spend less. I expect in the furture I will upgrade it but I would like sub MOA to start. I had planned on building something but time just doesnt allow as of now. I would prefer to take the little time I have and use it to shoot.
Im thinking my best bet is a 700 SPS. Any better suggestions?

Wrought

Out of the box accuracy? I think youd want a howa or weatherby friend, theyre still customizable and would likely be the most accurate weapon In your arsenal. Especially the howa with a sporter stock.

4runnerman

Is this still for hunting or punching paper?. Take a look at the Savage F class rifles. Very much Sub MOA out of the box.

P71pilot

Savage, weatherby, certain rugers. Do you require iron sights? I would say almost any decent bore condition bolt action rifle is MOA capable as long as you match a load to the rifle, this is much easier if you reload compared to if you are forced to buy manufactured ammo

RC20

It sounds like you want target shooter but we need to know.

Also caliber or performance area that we can discuss.

That said Cabellas offers some very good priced Store Only rifles that may meet your needs.

They have a Heavy Barrel (HB, ak Varmint) in Rem 700, 30-06, 300WM, 25-30-06. $700 or so as I recall.

They also have a couple of Savage models, the 10T which is 308 and I forget what calibers it is in, HB, $600 on sale.

The other is a 12FV, 204 Ruger, 223, 25-250 and 308. That one has been $380 on sale.

The higher cost ones get better stocks. All the Savage come with the very good acu trigger. Rem 700 really needs a aftermarket trigger and not as smooth as the Savage but well done overall.

I have the 12FV, I would like a better stock but doing ok with what I have.

Pretty much sub MOA with most loads, a lot sub 5/8.

I have not tried any of the factory match ammo though if I can get some on sale I will do so. Hornady and Federal would be the two of most interest .

BoogieMan

This is a paper puncher and gong ringer only. I will scope it so not worried about irons at all. To be honest I could never judge a rifles ability with irons. My iron game isnt that good. I havent decided on caliber yet, but it will likely be a short action like a 243, 308. I want a heavy/varmint contour.
700xcr in 308 looks great at the high end, $1100
700sps in 308, $600
In the lesser expensive range is the Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard. Tikka T3 tactical is creeping back up in price but still less than the XCR. Not sue exactly what I can pay for that one. My dealer usually has some pretty good pricing.
Basically I want a rifle that will put a hole right where I point it at any range that I want and do it consistently. LOL
Out of the above is the XCR worth the extra money? Is there a better value that I can later upgrade the stock and get the same performance?
My 700adl 30-06 is accurate but not accurate enough, its time to upgrade. I considered re-barrel, tune and bed etc.. To be honest I dont want to spend the time at this point.

4runnerman

As I stated- Take a Look at the Savage F Class rifles. I stretch mine out to 1400 yards, If you don't like it, just buy a new barrel in another caliber and give it a shot, It takes about 20 minutes to change Calibers.

collector rob

Go to youtube and search the title below. He says it was bought at Big5 for $99.00 That leaves you $1000 for ammo:D. Well not really, K31's are upwards of $300 now.
Half the fun is finding the right load, and getting it to hit consistently.

World Record Open Sight Shot 2240 yards Ernest Jimenez Unmodified K31 Swiss - 7.5×55mm Swiss

ymmv

BoogieMan

I like the savage F class except for the fact that it's a single shot. I think I would rather be on the tactical side then the bench rest side. Prefer a removable mag.

RC20

Savage 10T at Cabellas has a rail, magazine, i.e. tactical type.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage-Arms-Model-T-Tactical-Bolt-Action-Rifle/1695199.uts

$600 not on sale, 5R rifling which may be a bit more accurate than the pure varmint contour 12FV. 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor whatever that is

supposedly the floating head bolt take away some of the issues of a squared up barrel to the action (though I don't think that's how it works with a Savage)

As noted its easy to change the barrel, a lot of the newer Savages have a smooth nut that takes cutting or a pipe wrench to get off but aftermarket nuts available and there is a host of people making screw in barrels from around $200 up to $350 or so.

ms6852

Nowadays with the advancement of metallurgy and technology in manufacturing most rifles are MOA shooters out of the box, the single variable that remains a constant is the shooter. Most shooters are not moa shooters. With the budget you have designated all the rifles mentioned will get you what you want now the only thing left is the scope, do not skimp on that as many shooters do, match the scope to your rifle capabilities, and you will be one happy camper...uhmm, shooter.

Another thing that will assist you in achieving your desired goal is to custom load bullets for that specific rifle. You can buy all the match bullets you want but the barrel harmonics will tell you what your rifle likes most, and the best way to find out is by reloading and performing a ladder test with with rifle.

BoogieMan

Hadn't considered the m70. Thanks, now the field widened. Lol
I'm going to try and put my hands on a tikka and a remington. I own a savage that I'm not thrilled with and I have to start somewhere to narrow the field.
Thanks for the sugestions.