Our New ARs - Perfect Function!

For almost a year, my wife and I have been building a couple of ARs. We finally got the new Douglas stainless barrels from Compass Lake Engineering, mounted on the CMMG uppers we sent them. Finally got them assembled yesterday afternoon, so today we took them to the range.

I had some trepidation about whether either would function OK, since I've read dozens of threads about "Help-my AR doesn't work!" Anyway, we bought a 100-rd box of Federal 55-gr FMJs at the Mall Wart ($39.95 FWIW) and headed for the range. I loaded one round in mine, and squeezed it off at the target. Hit almost perfectly 1" low at 10 yds, ejected fine, and bolt stayed open. Loaded three rounds, fired them, perfect function. Went through a total of 20 rds, weapon functioned perfectly!

SWMBO loaded up a single round, and hers worked perfectly, too, except that it threw 3" to the left. Checked the sights, and discovered she had just slightly misaligned the gas block containing the front sight. Realigned it, and it also shot perfectly.

In short, put 20 rds through each weapon with not a hint of a malfunction. Really pretty amazing when you consider the bolt, bolt carrier, barrel, upper, and recoil spring assembly were all from different companies. Nor did the fact that mine has a carbine-length gas port and hers is mid-length appear to make one bit of difference!

Can now add "Successful Gunmaker" to my resume!!! :D

As can my wife! :D:D:D

bcarver

my projects

I have 7 lowers and plan to build 4 in the next two months.
one needs only the stock(ordered)
one needs trigger and complete stock(ordered)
the rest are stripped lowers.
I hope mine goes as well as yours.

Now I need a bigger safe.

It is a little amazing isn't it? I mean I can't hang a cabinet and I had to call in a professional last time I tried to change out a shower curtain rod because I am so untalented with tools/innate handiness.

But I can assemble an AR that will run all day as long as I use good parts and some tiny bit of common sense... :D