Other than the answer "it won't work", what is the technical

the45er

reason that you cannot shoot a 45 ACP (with moon clips) in a revolver chambered for a 45 Long Colt? Is it because the bullet would have to travel too far in the cylinder before it reached the barrel, thereby causing a dangerous, as well as inaccurate condition?

Ricklin

Cuz they do not fit?

You won't be able to close the cylinder.

The stack up of the rim and the moon clip won't clear the recoil shield.

VoodooMountain

Off the top of my head here but I think a recessed cylinder for the 45acp head to rest on would be the only way. At that point you would have a 45 acp revolver that couldn't shoot 45 colt and with a loooong jump.

A second cylinder could be an option I think.

Dave T

You won't be able to close the cylinder.

The stack up of the rim and the moon clip won't clear the recoil shield.

First response. There's your answer.

Dave

HighValleyRanch

Couldn't you use .45 acp bullets loaded into auto rim (AR) cases?
I shot bullseye with auto rim for years in my 625. No need for moon clip.

T. O'Heir

"...45 Long Colt..." The .45 Colt uses a .454" bullet. The ACP a .452" bullet. And the rim/clip will be in the wrong place.
Your 625 is in ACP is it not? Auto Rim's rim is too thick. .090" vs .060" for the Colt. The Autorim is just a rimmed ACP. Has nothing to do with the Colt, size wise.

the45er

I guess there's a Ruger Redhawk that will shoot both 45 ACP and 45 LC without changing cylinders but you have to use special moon clips that fit in a machined recess in the back of the cylinder.

BillM

You can do it. TK Custom can machine a 45 Colt cylinder so it can use both 45 Colt
and 45 ACP in moon clips. They leave a rim at the perimeter to support the Colt rim,
center recessed to accommodate the 45 ACP/moon clip. You could probably use Auto Rim also--but really no reason to. Long bullet jump for the ACP.

HighValleyRanch

I've loaded .45 acp bullets into .45 colt cases without any problems. Used trail boss for a soft .45 colt load out of my Ruger Alaskan. Powder puff!LOL

Last edited:

tipoc

Bill M is correct.

Look into both that and a switch cylinder. See which makes most sense for your needs.

The jump in the cylinder is not as large an issue as it might look like. For years folks have shot 38/357, 44Spl/44 mag combos and others. Any loss in accuracy is so small that only the best handgunners will see any difference at 25 yards and what there is will be slight.

More important may be the barrel diameter and the cylinder where the rounds exit. jacketed ammo vs. lead, etc. These may be minor as well.

tipoc

Last edited:

pete2

S&W makes a .45 Colt, 45 ACP, .410 revolver that does shoot all 3, moon clip on the ACP. The S&W even holds 6 rounds. It's called the Governor. All .45 Colts now are .451 dia. .454 wen away a long time ago.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It is usually preferable to use .45 ACP in a chamber that allows the case to be supported on the case mouth rather than on a clip, as it would be if the chamber was originally made for .45 Colt and the cylinder modified for .45 ACP with a clip. The reason is that the solid support against the firing pin blow gives better consistency and better accuracy than the less solid support afforded by the moon clip.

Just to clarify one point. Revolvers like the 625 and the old Model 1917's have headspace made to accommodate the .45 ACP with clips OR the .45 AR, but the .45 ACP is supported on the case mouth, not on the clip. The rim on the .45 AR is extra thick so it measures the thickness of the .45 ACP rim plus the thickness of the moon clip. .45 AR cannot be used in a revolver chambered for .45 Colt since there is not enough headspace for the thick rim.

Jim

Slopemeno

A friend of mine altered his S&W N-frame's .45 Colt cylinder to accept both .45 Colt and .45 ACP with moon clips. Worked great.

Dave T

James K is absolutely correct. The purpose and primary function of Moonclips, or the original half-moon clips, is to make the extraction of the rimless 45 ACP cases possible in a swing-out cylinder revolver.

That the full-moon clips also make possible the fastest revolver reloads is a side benefit.

Dave

bedbugbilly

If they could be used, the distance that the bullet has to travel through the chamber through the throats into the bore is not a "show stopper". Think about it - there are many revolvers chambered in a caliber that can and are able tu utilize shorter cartridges.

357 - you can shoot 38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long and 38 Special. I reload and shoot all of those out of 357s on a regular basis.

45 Colt - the 45 Schofield is shorter - Starline is now making a 45 "Cowboy" passing that has the same rim and dimensions as both of the above but is the length of a 45 ACP basically.The only time you might run in to a problem with the 44 Colt and Schofield is due to the diameters of the rims being different and the particular diameter of the centerline that the chambers are bored on in a cylinder - if too small, you may have to load every other chamber or a total of three in a six shooter.

32 calibers - I don't load or have any but 32 S & W will shoot in revolvers such as a 327 Mag - only difference is length of casing.

22 - the cartridge that we all grew up with as kids - 22 short, long and long rifle - all will chamber and shoot in a 22 revolver chambered in 22 LR

tallball

I sure like my 45colt/45acp Ruger Blackhawk "convertible".

It takes just a few seconds to change cylinders.

It is equally accurate with either caliber.

It's one of my favorite handguns! :)

disseminator

It won't work.

;)

Seriously, all the above posters have nailed it. I have a Vaquero in 45 Colt and a 625JM in 45 AUTO/Auto Rim and if you try and chamber the 45 AR in the colt, it will slide into the cylinder but will not function since the rim is way too thick you won't even get the loading gate shut.

Same story in my 460 XVR, it will fit the cylinder but won't shut due to the rim thickness.

If you want both, the Ruger Convertible is the best option and is available for around $550 from Bud's.

the Black Spot

Well, in a pinch you could put a stiff rubber O-ring under the rim of the ACP to keep it from falling into the chamber. It has to be the right thickness and all that.
Like i said in a pinch

Don P

Is it because the bullet would have to travel too far in the cylinder before it reached the barrel, thereby causing a dangerous, as well as inaccurate condition?
Absolutely not I shoot short Colt ammo out of a 357 Mag cylinder