Other than capacity, what can a new gun give me that my old Ruger can't?

vito

I don't have a large collection of guns, and the ones I have are for personal defense and/or fun at the range. The only large caliber semi that I have is a Ruger 97DC, which has never had a single malfunction or any other problem. I find I often look at other guns at various gun shops and think about buying them, but I always come back to thinking "what can this new gun do for me that the Ruger can't?" and other than larger capacity magazines, I can't really come up with a reason to lay down a goodly sum of cash. Maybe I am just missing something that someone can enlighten me about.

Microgunner

I consider firearms my favorite hobby and if for no other reason it would give my one more handgun to whet my lust.

Yankee Doodle

You're missing nothing.
There is a difference between "need", and "desire". If you are satisfied with what you already have, spend the money on ammo. We can all use more range time.
My Dad used to tell me, "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."
Like I said, if you are confident with what you have, there is no reason to change.

C0untZer0

You can take the money you've saved and buy a nice bullet-proof vest (with groin protector) and have it at your bedside ready to slip on in case of trouble!

cavediver27

Keep the Ruger P97DC!! It is one of the most reliable and best designed pistols ever manufactured. Ruger never should have discontinued it for the "politically correct" and prone to problems P345.

lamarw

It sounds as though you have good judgement and the ability to think things through. Are you bragging about it or complaining? LOL:)

sheepman

There is nothing wrong with the P97. Most of us just want an excuse to try some thing different. I had a P97 for a while but traded it for some thing else which was traded and so no. The gun you trust and shoot well is the best. Hi capacity come with the price of a larger grip in 45 and not every one likes the bigger grip.

CWKahrFan

"what can this new gun do for me that the Ruger can't?"

I dunno... Maybe it's kinda like relationships. Some guys can stay happily monogamous with the same woman for a lifetime... and other guys can't... Go figure!

18DAI

Other than malfunction drill practice, a new gun can't give you a damn thing that the nice P97 Ruger can't give. Regards 18DAI

AustinTX

"what can this new gun do for me that the Ruger can't?"

There are some other guns that won't break a mirror with their looks. ;)

Just kidding. I love the old P-series Rugers, and I'd like to add a P89DC and a P90DC to my collection at some point. It's a crying shame that Ruger has pared down the lineup so much.

I find I often look at other guns at various gun shops and think about buying them, but I always come back to thinking "what can this new gun do for me that the Ruger can't?" and other than larger capacity magazines, I can't really come up with a reason to lay down a goodly sum of cash. Maybe I am just missing something that someone can enlighten me about.

I wouldn't say you're necessarily "missing" anything. People have different hobbies and desires (and addictions). Like Yankee Doodle said, it sounds like you already have your needs met, so further accumulation would be principally about desire. I love buying, owning, and experiencing new and different handguns, even if nothing I'm buying serves any new practical purpose not already fulfilled by what I already own. If that's not a desire/compulsion that resonates with you, then I can't really say you're missing anything. Some people are crazy about collecting stamps or coins. Not my interests at all, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

10mm4ever

This is one of those questions that only you can answer. Do you have any needs that cant be answered by something you already own? If not, it all depends on your own wants, finances, etc.

lee n. field

don't have a large collection of guns, and the ones I have are for personal defense and/or fun at the range. The only large caliber semi that I have is a Ruger 97DC, which has never had a single malfunction or any other problem. I find I often look at other guns at various gun shops and think about buying them, but I always come back to thinking "what can this new gun do for me that the Ruger can't?" and other than larger capacity magazines, I can't really come up with a reason to lay down a goodly sum of cash. Maybe I am just missing something that someone can enlighten me about.

Higher capacity magazines, and a rail.

That's it.

There's a lot to be said for a piece of machinery that "has never had a single malfunction or any other problem." Keep the Ruger.

vito

As many of you have pointed out, there is a difference between "need" and "want". Having a good 22 for the range, a quality hammerless j-frame for pocket carry, and my Ruger 45 acp for home defense, I guess I really don't need anything else. That hasn't stopped me from buying several more guns, and I guess I should just accept that its fun to have new and different guns, and not look for a specfic "need". I do have my eye on a new Kimber.......

SW40F

vito said:
As many of you have pointed out, there is a difference between "need" and "want".
This, sir, is True Wisdom, not commonly dispensed nor widely accepted.

vito said:
Having a good 22 for the range, a quality hammerless j-frame for pocket carry, and my Ruger 45 acp for home defense, I guess I really don't need anything else.
You are truly well-equipped.

vito said:
...I do have my eye on a new Kimber.......
Yes, the "needs" have been met, so it's time to play.

Discern

I love the PXXDC series from Ruger. They are built like a tank, very reliable and were also reasonably priced. I also wish Ruger had continued production of them. I am not a fan of any external safeties or magazine disconnect safeties for a personal protection handgun. The best safety device is the matter between your two ears. I can always decock it after a shot if I want a longer trigger pull for safety sake.

If you do not have a short barrel 12 or 20 gauge pump shotgun this is what I would add next. If I found another P97DC I would also add that too.

dpetreikis

Just kidding. I love the old P-series Rugers, and I'd like to add a P89DC and a P90DC to my collection at some point. It's a crying shame that Ruger has pared down the lineup so much.

I TOTALLY agree. Have had - and unfortunately, sold P89's, P95's and P97's. Will definitely re-acquire them eventually, and will also get a P90 when I find one for under $500 (they're HIGH around here!)

postmaster

It's kinda like coin or stamp collection, I just happen to like pistols much more than coins. I have bought and sold probably about 50 pistols during my adult years, buy I have kept a G26 for carry, that I will not sell. I also keep a pocket mag. .22, and Sig 226 in the bedroom. Others will come and go.

Walt Sherrill

Some newer ones can give you a better trigger. That won't make the gun more accurate, but it might make it easier to shoot accurately.

Some newer ones might fit your hand better, or be lighter -- important for carry, but not at the range or for home defense. Another gun might offer a better choice of optional sights.

Other guns aren't likely to be more trouble free. The 97 is a good gun.