"Other" semi's"

Seedy Character

This seems to be an AR section. There are several fine semi's out there, that are not those evil, death machines.

3 of my favorites, which I don't own, but am searching for, are;
1. Browning BAR. prefer a .30-06, but 7RemMag would be good, too.
2 Rem 742, 7400, Model 4. .30-06, but have considered .308. A nice .243, I would rebarrel to .260Rem. This would make an awesome rifle.
3. Just for grins, giggles and fun. .30 Carbine. To go along with Ruger Blackhawk and terrorize hogs.

Anybody have, love the non-ARs?

jmhyer

I have a Remington Model Four in 243Win that belonged to my dad. It's a beautiful rifle that has killed more deer than I could count through the years. It's mostly a safe queen these days but I will keep it mostly due to the sentimental value.

44 AMP

Staff
This seems to be an AR section. There are several fine semi's out there, that are not those evil, death machines.

Its not an AR section, its just that AR owners post the most....:D

And, sad to say, but those "fine semi autos" you're talking about ARE "evil death machines" to the anti gun crowd. and they will be banned/restricted as soon as those people can get the law passed.

Looking like a sporting rifle and not a military rifle is, sadly, no longer any protection.

The Remington 740 design series are decent deer rifles. Some shoot tolerably well, others, not so much, Don't be looking for Sub MOA from one and you won't be disappointed.

What they aren't, is military rugged, and they were never meant to be. They need proper care to last and work properly. Shot a few boxes a year and living in the closet between deer seasons they generally last decades and longer.

Treat them like an M1 or an AK or even an AR and they wear out, often sooner than you might expect. Chambers need to be clean!!! (among other things).

They made a lot of them over the years, and parts can be had, for now, but Remington is out of the gun making business, for now, at least, so roll your dice,

hps1

Other Semi's

Other than a few rifles with which I have a sentimental attachment, only accurate rifles (or rifles which can be made accurate) are of interest to me. Therefore, when it comes to favorite rifles, the AR would get the #1 slot in my book since most shoot very well right out of the box, or at worst are easily tweaked to do so. Other than the AR, the following semi-autos are ranked:

1) M1 Garand; a bit heavy for a predator rifle, but manageable and superbly accurate. While this DCM service grade rifle shot as good as most service grade rifles of the era, probably 2moa or so, with a bit of accuracy work suggested in an old NRA brochure, I was able to get it tuned to shoot MOA with iron sights, as pictured.

43333447411_40fbc48b4e_o.jpg

When iron sights no longer worked for me, I mounted a 3x optic on it and learned what the true accuracy of the rifle actually is.
33965454328_eb95482782_q.jpg
46865227375_1991219886_o.jpg

2?) BAR had good reputation for accuracy so it caught my eye when all "military rifles" were banned from the ranches I hunt. Couldn't find one in .243, so settled on a .308. Out of box couldn't get anything to shoot sub 2 MOA. After several stock mods (shorten and add adjustable cheek riser) and lots of load development, got the rifle to shoot 4 out of 5 in sub MOA but always had a single spoiler opening group to 1.5 MOA. (Partially due to the 5.5-6# creepy trigger and a developing eye problem, but the jury is still out on this.) Still hopeful. :)
50328258401_47afc3d38f_z.jpg
49906216206_98e56be236_q.jpg

The only accurate bullet I have found so far in this rifle is a 110 gr. Nosler Varmageddon, but that's OK for my use, as ballistics are very close to the 243's.

3) M1 Carbine. Have to admit accuracy took a back seat to sentiments on this one, as I was armed with a carbine for a number of years (never had a really accurate one). Have a couple of ideas on helping accuracy a bit if and when I get around to it; mainly fitting the patent breech on mine, as it is a loose fit in stock. Carbines not known for their precision accuracy.

A few too many accuracy complaints on the 740's and Mini 14's for me to give them a try. Some report great accuracy after alterations, but.......

Regards,
hps

Last edited:

Houndog

Don't see them around all that much, but I've had an FAL for about 20 years that I'm pretty attached to. Built like a tank, 100% reliable and capable of about 2 MOA.

Used to own an AK but never really bonded with it and sold it years ago.

Same with a PTR91 (similar to an HK91). Nasty recoil, didn't really like the charging handle or ergonomics in general and it mangled brass. But it was reliable and accurate. Also sold years ago.

Never bonded with my only AR. A friend's "green box" '84 Colt, having decent sight distance (iron sights) because of the 20" barrel has a bit more appeal/

My Only centerfire rifles, after many changes: imported Maadi (A.R.M.), stamped MAK 90, AMD-65 (TGI: "SA 2000 M")....and in early 2019, an imported Czechpoint VZ-58, new-in-box.

I "bonded" quickly with each of these, which began about six years ago (at age 59 :eek:). The 'appeal glue' is as strong as ever.:D

Houndog:
A PTR, HK-91 owner demonstrates somewhere on Youtube that oil often gets into the rear of the receiver and worsens the recoil.

I don't remember how he explained it, except that rifles stored with extra oil (?) and muzzles upward allow this tendency.

The ergos seem strange to me also, as if the Germans produced the rifles for shorter people.

wachtelhund1

My favorite non AR's are HK 300, 22 mag; HK 630, 223 Rem; HK 770, 308 Win; and Winchester 100 carbine, 308 Win. All three of the HK rifles have great triggers and are sub-MOA. I've killed a lot of coyotes with the HK 300 and 630 and numerous deer with the HK 770. However the Winchester 100 carbine is my favorite for deer in Wisconsin woods. It shoots 1.5" groups after I bedded in a four step bedding process which I posted here years ago. It just has great lines and carrying aesthetics for a hunting rifle.

9x19

I don't have any other rifle caliber semis... but my checkered past includes about a half dozen M1 Carbines, a couple AK variants, and a few Rugers: .44 Carbine; 99/44; Mini 14 and Mini 30; PC9 and PC40.

The only non AR semis currently in the gun room are Ruger PC Carbines.

hps1

However the Winchester 100 carbine is my favorite for deer in Wisconsin woods. It shoots 1.5" groups after I bedded in a four step bedding process which I posted here years ago. It just has great lines and carrying aesthetics for a hunting rifle.

My FIL had a Mod. 100 back in the '60's. Very nice little rifle which was a great lightweight deer rifle and as I remember, shot pretty darn well out of the box. When forced to find an alternative for the AR, I looked for one unsuccessfully.....aren't very many on the market.

Regards,
hps

44 AMP

Staff
For "other" semi autos, I have, or have had a number. including several pistol caliber carbines.

Have had AR and AKs, as well as SKS, and SVT 40, FN FAL and FN 49, H&K 91, M1 Garand, M1A, M1 Carbine, Ruger Mini 14s, Rem 742, and some others I can't right now recall.

Also have experience with the select fire versions of some of those guns.

Many I have passed on to people who wanted them more than I do now, but I've hung on to my M1A (and am NOT letting it go) and I've kept my Mini-14, simply because its .223 and it works.

If you've got questions about these, I might have something to share...

Houndog

Ignition, never heard that about the PTR. But again, not a rifle I ever bonded to. When I was able to sell it for about what I paid for it I had no problem letting it go.

Thought of another ofter overlooked semi-auto. IWI Tavor. Well made. 100% reliable. And because it's a bull pup you get a 16" barrel in a package that's shorter than most SBR's. On the heavy side, but all the weight is to the rear, so pretty easy to shoot offhand. The gun is only moderately accurate, somewhat pricey and the stock trigger SUCKS. But after you've spent some time with it and adapted to its layout a fun gun to shoot. Would love to try their .308 version.

Plus, back when I was in MA it was one of the few semi-autos you could still buy without running afoul of our awful state AG - Maura Healey and her illegal and unconstitutional interpretation of state law. Hope that's still the case.

44caliberkid

If you get the Remington 742/7400 or Browning BAR you will be disappointed. There’s a reason these are common on gun shop, pawn shop, gun show racks and auctions. If you want the “other” auto, get a Garand, M1A, or FAL.

44 AMP

Staff
The ergos seem strange to me also, as if the Germans produced the rifles for shorter people.

IF you're talking about the HK 91 design, remember its a semi auto version of a military rifle. And its a long known fact that larger people can adapt and handle a rifle that's a little too short better then shorter people can manage a rifle that's a little too long.

Its a "one size fits all, well enough" thing. And, I think the average European is still a bit shorter than the average American overall, as well.

the other thing is that German designers often follow a slightly different school of thought than US designers. Generally speaking, US designers usually make it so all the major controls are operated by the shooting (trigger) hand (usually the right hand) and are within easy reach or can be reached with a slight shift of the hand.

Several European (primarily German) designs are apparently intended for the non trigger hand to operate some controls. Such as the safety or operating handle. Some of them have the safety where it simply cannot be reached with the shooting hand in the firing position.

One can see this idea in WWII holsters most easily. The US holster for the 1911A1 was a flap holster but still a fairly rapid draw. The German holsters were "luggage cases" some even had buckles keeping them securely closed.

A German once explained this to me, its the differnce in our "mindsets". An American soldier is a cowboy, who thinks he needs to draw his pistol rapidly at need and use it. A German soldier will draw his pistol before going into combat (so the speed and ease of the draw doesn't matter) and will have it in his hand when he needs it.

Different way of looking at it, we both thought the other side was crazy...Still, they think certain things are right, and proper and build their stuff to work, their way...

Does remind me of a "joke" that probably was a real situation....an American is looking over a high end German sports car, and makes a comment about the lack of cup holders...
to which the German engineer indignantly replies,
"das Auto is fur DRIVING, not fur Drinking!"
:D

stuckinthe60s

>>>>>A German soldier will draw his pistol before going into combat.............<<<<<

should have asked him, how could he use his rifle? he must have dropped it or hes running from the cowboys...........

Joe-ker

I’ve got an SKS. But now that I have an AR chambered in 7.62 it will get used even less. Sorry I turned this into an AR thread:D

highpower3006

Since I find sitting at a bench and shooting holes in paper to be as exciting as watching paint dry, my interest in semi auto rifles leans mostly towards guns that have a bit of military history.

I do own a few AR's, but the only one that I am looking for maximum accuracy out of is my 24" barreled AR in 6.5 Grendel.

Other than that one and a couple of other miscellaneous AR's, all the others I currently have a military connection of some sort or the other.

M1A, all GI except the receiver
Australian SLR (L1A1)
British L1A1
PSL
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
HK91
HK93
HK MP5
SKS-several
SVT40
AK-several
M16E1 clone
m16A1 clone
Xm177 clone
Galil ARM

GarandTd

My 2 non AR semis are a 42' SA M1 Garand and a Remington Apache 77 22lr. I like them plenty, but I'm much less concerned about beating on the AR.

MarkCO

Several semi-auto .22LRs. Had a few .30 Carbines and a Rem 7400. Just never warmed up to them. I tend to favor the MOR in the 6mm and up centerfires.

I'd kind of like a BAR or Benelli in .243 though.