Orlando Sentinel magazine ban poll

FTG-05

What do you think?

Should Florida ban high-capacity ammunition clips like the one used by the suspect in the Arizona shootings?

Yes. They were also used in the mass shootings at Virginia Tech and Fort Hood. Banning clips of more than 15 bullets would limit the mayhem that a single shooter can cause. (23 responses)

5%

No. Only law-abiding gun owners would be affected by a ban. Criminals never pay any attention to gun-control laws anyway. (250 responses)

58%

Yes. No one who owns a gun for protection or sport needs an ammunition clip that holds more than 15 bullets. A half dozen other states have banned high-capacity clips – why not Florida? (76 responses)

18%

No. What part of the Second Amendment don't you understand? (82 responses)

19%

431 total responses

(Results not scientific)

chasep255

I like option 4, but option 2 is true.
+1
I live in CA. I would love to have a 15-round magazine for some of my firearms.
I live in a 15 round state. Everyone makes special CA 10 rounders and not NJ 15 rounders so we are often still stuck with the CA stuff. I honestly have to say though that there really isn't that much of a difference between 10 and 15 rounds. Either way it really sucks.

RETG

Number 3 has the most ludicrous statement of all - "A half dozen other states have banned high-capacity clips – why not Florida? (76 responses)"

Well FL residents, a few states allow oil drilling off-shore, so why not FL.:D

And even though it will not affect me until I retire (and then, not sure), I voted for Number 2. I cannot see how banning mags over 15 rounds would be a violation of the 2nd Amendment since they are not banning weapons.

chasep255

I cannot see how banning mags over 15 rounds would be a violation of the 2nd Amendment since they are not banning weapons.

Well then why don't they just ban everything but the recivers of guns since that part is technically considered to be the weapon. By your logic that would be completely constitutional.

FTG-05

What do you think?

Should Florida ban high-capacity ammunition clips like the one used by the suspect in the Arizona shootings?

Yes. They were also used in the mass shootings at Virginia Tech and Fort Hood. Banning clips of more than 15 bullets would limit the mayhem that a single shooter can cause. (28 responses)

5%

No. Only law-abiding gun owners would be affected by a ban. Criminals never pay any attention to gun-control laws anyway. (328 responses)

60%

Yes. No one who owns a gun for protection or sport needs an ammunition clip that holds more than 15 bullets. A half dozen other states have banned high-capacity clips – why not Florida? (92 responses)

17%

No. What part of the Second Amendment don't you understand? (102 responses)

19%

550 total responses

(Results not scientific)

GoOfY-FoOt

Yes. They were also used in the mass shootings at Virginia Tech and Fort Hood. Banning clips of more than 15 bullets would limit the mayhem that a single shooter can cause. (28 responses)

4%

No. Only law-abiding gun owners would be affected by a ban. Criminals never pay any attention to gun-control laws anyway. (419 responses)

61%

Yes. No one who owns a gun for protection or sport needs an ammunition clip that holds more than 15 bullets. A half dozen other states have banned high-capacity clips – why not Florida? (94 responses)

14%

No. What part of the Second Amendment don't you understand? (149 responses)

22%

690 total responses

I cannot see how banning mags over 15 rounds would be a violation of the 2nd Amendment since they are not banning weapons.
At the moment, it wouldn't be a violation. The issue came up in the Washington DC District court roughly a year ago, and they found that the District's ban on high-capacity magazines passed constitutional muster. There's still some work to be done on that front, to say the least.

The way it works these days, it's not a "right" until the courts say so. Just food for thought.

Back on topic, I don't think an online poll really indicates anything concrete, nor is it likely to change anything. I did some work in Florida in the early 90's, and unless the political landscape has changed dramatically, I don't see a magazine ban passing.

Even if it had a chance, our time and efforts are much better spent contacting relevant legislators than worrying over op-eds and polls.