Original Colt revolver on gunbroker

RodTheWrench

It's not like they had a laser engraver or a pneumatic number stamp back then. I don't see anything wrong with the serials.

DoubleDeuce 1

The cylinder does not appear to have the same amount, or any of the surface deterioration as the rest of the revolver. It could be lighting or camera angles, but that's what it looks like to me. Just thinking.:cool:

RJay

Look very close at pictures number 11 and 12. No# 12 looks to be over stamped or even altered, the 4 in picture 11 has two fonts. The long arm of the 4 is deep, how did that happen on a standard stamping, even a hand stamp. Could be correct, but with all the honest people selling on the internet I would want a very close look at the revolver before purchasing. Colt revolvers are one of the most counterfeited and altered guns.

Last edited:
Rebuilt gun with newer parts? The overstamping on serial numbers and the clean unpitted exterior of cylinder compared to the rest of the gun should raise eyebrows.

bedbugbilly

One thing to remember is that numbers were hand stamped - it's not unusual for the numbers to not be in a straight line, tilted, etc. As far as strike-overs - I wouldn't imagine that to be too uncommon either. That's not to say that things can't be "tampered with" in later years - just don't judge originals by what you see on reproductions - two different worlds.

maillemaker

I have no idea if the thing is really all "matching numbers" or not. I just thought it was neat to see a "real" old Colt in its box.

Steve

g.willikers

It looks inviting, but apparently no one is bidding.
Might be a clue, there.
Or maybe trying to judge whether a gun is a genuine antique just by internet pictures is a real bad idea.

Howdy

As has already been stated, guns were hand stamped back then. The different numbers and letters were mounted in a tool and the tool was struck with a hammer. This could easily result in the numbers being out of line. The idea was to smack the tool sharply with one blow. But if one didn't do it just right, the stamp and the hammer could bounce resulting in a double strike. That's what happened here, I do not suspect foul play.