Ordinance Grade Sperm Oil?

highvel

I have found a number of cans of what is marked Sperm Oil. They are pint cans OD green with brass or bronze fine threaded caps.
The guy I got them from years and years ago said the came from the armory.
Anyone know anything about this oil "besides from a whale"?
I feels like it may be a good lubricating and protectant oil.

TheManHimself

It's California DoJ-approved weapons lubricant. ;)

But seriously though... It should work fine on manually-operated repeaters. Just about any fluid providing any lubricity whatsoever will. Don't know if I'd use it on a semi-auto though. Non-synthetic oils have a tendency to harden or gum up over time.

rbernie

I seem to recall that Sperm Oil was highly (and I mean HIGHLY) valued by those that did case color hardening.

longranger

You have something there, Sperm Oil is considered the finest oils ever for lubrication of fine machinery and guns.If you shoot B/P it is the best patch lube on the planet.It is nearly impossible to buy here in the states,(No whaling)It is so good they have been trying to synthesize the stuff for years and have yet to come up with anything as good.
Don't let no one talk you out of it,just keep it use it on your guns.
Sperm oil is largely responsible for alot of the beautiful really old guns that are still around.

MADISON

Sperm Oil?

Go to Google and type in "Ed's Red.
There are references made to Sperm Oil and other "outdated compounds" used during WW-II.

wogpotter

It was also the preferred lube/cleaner for Black powder percussion pistols because it would not gum up like petroleum-based lubes would.:D

I'm guessing that "Ordinance Grade" may actually be a slightly Lower (thicker?) grade than that used for lamps, oil lamps were one of the major consumers of whale oil. In the case of lamps it was the fuel, not a lubricant though so I'd guess it was lighter to allow for better wicking?

apr1775

It's about the only oil known to man that never dries up or hardens. Very rare now due to no more whale hunting. Just a tiny bit will lubricate gun parts. This is what I've read about it. You have something valuable.

LukeA

It's about the only oil known to man that never dries up or hardens.

Maybe 150 years ago it was. There are plenty of near-zero vapor pressure lubricants like that now.

Pahoo

Well, I am lucky to have one of those original cans but not lucky enough to have any oil in it. Pretty neat cans aren't they. However, I do have some Narwal oil that comes about as close to Sperm oil as i will ever get. Besides some selective lubrications, I just apply it over a gun to dress dress it up a bit and it just stays shiny without harming a thing. It's great for lubricating fishing reels, small bearing and electro/mechanical devices. Your supply will last you a lifetime and it many applications. Enjoy !!! :)

Be Safe !!!

highvel

Thanks for all the info, I didnt know anything about it and was worried about some detrimental conditions it might cause.

The guy that gave them to me didnt know what he had either, heck he gave me about 15 cans!

Thanks again!:D

olyinaz

There are plenty of modern lubes that will work just fine for you (and I suspect you're getting along just fine) but this stuff is valuable, so if it were me I'd sell them on fleaBay and make some nice money - perhaps even enough to buy a gun I'd been wanting.

Hmmm, some interesting oil vs. a nice new gun...you do the math. :p

Cheers,
Oly

Dfariswheel

Sperm whale oil was the top quality fine lubricant for delicate machinery like watches, guns, and other machines back then, mostly because that was the only fine lube available.

However, modern synthetic lubricants have surpassed it in performance, and much of its qualities are more a legend than fact.
These days any hardware or gun store sells lubricants that are much better.

One neat little "feature" of Sperm whale oil was that it rots, or turns rancid.
You haven't lived until you've opened an old watch or clock that had been lubricated with whale oil and got that first whiff.

highvel

Great book, loved it.
But, I don't think a one legged man in a wooden boat had anything to do with this oil!

tINY

I have a small bottle that was squirreled away inside a wall clock years ago. There is a parchment inside describing how fine the oil is and all that - and a wood-carving print of processing whales on the beach...

-tINY

handlerer

There is a difference in Sperm oil and whale oil. Whale oil was made by rendering the body blubber of any number of great whales, including sperm whales. Sperm oil or spermiceti was found in the echolocation chamber of sperm whales and was the most valued and expensive of any whale oil, it was never as far as I have ever read used as fuel. A large sperm whale may have rendered 40 gallens of sperm oil from this chamber in it's head. These whales were hunted nearly to extinction for this product and ambergris used in perfumery.

BillCA

Prior to the ban on whale products, the better automatic transmission shops used to use sperm oil to lubricate the parts during assembly. The properties of the oil allowed it to stay on the parts for thousands of miles and it accentuated the ability of ATF to cling to the parts too.

The uses of Sperm oil is a long one, especially where fine tolerances are found. It does creep into small places and it tends to cling to surfaces well.

Modern synthetics and special-purpose oils can do some of the same things, but none can do all of the things Sperm Oil can. We can live quite well without killing the whale for it. But the whale(s) were already killed long ago to make the cans you have.

44 AMP

Staff
According to an old gunsmith I used to know...

Now long gone to his reward, Sperm oil has an even better use than mere lubrication, as good as it is for that. He used to say that it was absolutely the finest for oil quenching parts for tempering.

It might be that some modern inheritor of the skill sets of these fine old craftsmen might be looking for just such a rare product, and willing to pay a premium. I know my old gunsmith friend whined for years when he could no longer get more, and jealously guarded and preserved his remaining supply for the last decades he worked. I wouldn't "waste" it using it for lube, as modern chemicals will do as good a job as needed.

Consider contacting one of the smiths that specialize in restoring vintage arms. They might just name one of their children after you!