options

bcarver

My department requires:
12 gauge pump with a cross bolt safety, 18 or 20" cylinder bore barrel.

I desire a 3.5" capability.

Other than a Remington 870, what are my options?

ebutler462

Every law enforcement agency that I am familiar with is required by their liability insurance carriers to issue cruiser shotguns. Personally I would not work for an agency too cheap to issue necessary equipment. Small towns, large cities, and in between sized departments normally will not allow an officer to have a gun in his cruiser that is not dept. issue and that you have already qualified with.

Having been in law enforcement for most of my life, now retired, I doubt that you will be able to recommend your own shotgun. I have known officers and supervisors to get suspended and fired for having in their cruiser shotguns that were non-issued. Suprise inspections caught them.

I recommend that you check with your chief about this. If he tells you to get your own shotgun, have him put it in writing. Maybe write him a memo requesting that you select your own shotgun and ask that he write you a memo approving it.

liliysdad

We have shotguns, but no one carries them. Those who do carry a shotgun in their car carry their personal guns. All officers supply their own sidearms, magazines, ammunition, cuffs, etc...the only thing we are issued is a uniform, brass, and a Taser.

The only other viable option i the Nova. However, I strongly urge you to get an 870. They work, and they work well. As for your 3.5" desire, I don't grasp that one. My personal 870 wears a 2.75" only barrel, and that has never been a requirement. I can not think of a SINGLE scenario where a 3", let alone a 3.5", shell would be required, or even desired.

Mike U.

While bigger is better a lot of times, I don't believe this is such a case.
3" shells are plenty to even take down Grizzly's given the right slugs. Alaska's Fish and Wildlife officers carry them for bear protection and dealing with problem bears, from what I understand. A 12 gauge, whether toting 2 3/4" or 3" shells is a formidable close range weapon.

Now, if your planning on goose or turkey hunting while on duty, well... :eek: :D :D :D

bcarver

reason for 3.5"

Yes, Our department has shotguns and I picked one out to use.
When I found out it had a broke firing pin and that our department had no procedure for any kind of periodic check I decided to get my own as our General Orders allow. We are limited to the specific I outlined above.
(no tang saftey, no semi-auto or 20 gauge mostly). We are limited in that we can only shoot Department issue ammo which is 2.75" #1 Buck.
There was a shooting many years ago (the sixties)that involved multiple agencies all using oo buck. Our department decided to be different so they could be sure this did not reoccur.

I desire the 3.5" strickly for a turkey hunting option.
I'll look into the nova but am leaning toward the Reminton.
I was just wanting to consider all options.
Thanks everyone.

jhgreasemonkey

The mossberg 835 pump handles 3 1/2 and they have a 24" barrel though I dont think they go shorter on that model. They offer it in woodland camo also.

Mike U.

Whichever you decide on, it's a win/win scenario, and you'll be good to go.
So, at this point, it's all a matter of personal preference really.