Options for Airweight refinishing

Casimer

I've got a nice old S&W Model 38 J-Frame revolver w/ the black anodized aluminum frame, steel cylinder and barrel.

SWBodyguard.jpg

It's my understanding that refinishers prefer not to deal with these due to concerns that they'll crack the frame when removing or re-installing the barrel. And that you need to do this for other than paint-on finishes.

Is this accurate? - and if so, what are the options for refinishing?

Currently I'm thinking to have it chromed, otherwise to restore the anodizing and reblue the steel components.

Jerry45

This doesn’t answer your question but… I have/had an early 70’s model. My wife “stole” it. ;) Yep, she said. “I like it, it’s mine.” :eek: I’ve been loking for one ever since. I’ve seen a couple at gun shows but they wanted twice as much for the used/abused ones as I paid for mine new. :(

I say if you want it for carry don’t worry abbot refinishing it as it will just have to regain its character. Make sure it’s clean and functions properly and use it for its intended purpose. If you plan on using it as a shooter don’t use hot ammo as the frame will soon give up the ghost. Or so I’m told! Ours still works great. :D

Yours looks a lot better that the ones I’ve seen for sale. Acruall it looks better then the one the wife's been carring for 15 or so years.