Optimum Charge Weight

Saint Dennis

Loaded up a test sample for Dan Newberry's OCW method for my .220 swift. Cant try them till Saturday. I'm looking for input from others who have tried this method. What range did you run the test at? I'm wondering if a heavy barreled .220 (Cooper) will change POI enough at 100 yrds to evaluate? Did the OCW load determinied by this method prove to be an outstanding load? Any stumbling blocks that I might avoid? Thank you.

m&p45acp10+1

I use the OCW when testing rifle rounds. I have used it for .221 Rem Fireball, and .223 Rem. I test at 100 yards. Follow his instructions. My tuned loads give inder quarter MOA at 100 yards. One of the loads developed I have used to drop coyotes at distances of up to 450 yards with the .223 Rem. All dropped dead when hit. 5 coyotes at 450 yards when the fifth one knew what was going on 4 other were dead, and he was not far behind them. (They were attacing goats hamstringging them, and leaving them to die.)

As long as you don't have much wind, the further out you shoot, the easier it is to segregate the group POI's for consistency. Where the old Audette ladder really needed 300 yards for best effect, the OCW round robin still works up close as long as you aren't shooting all bugholes. Of course, if you are, then what do you need a load development method for anyway?

swmike

I've used this method with great success but highly recommend that one use the longest distance available and practical. 100 yards is fine but as Unclenick pointed out it's hard to figure out anything when all you have is 5 sets of "bug holes". Get out to 200 or 300 yards and it's easier to see the spread(s).

For me, the big issue is to find days that the wind isn't swirling around at 5-10 MPH. That usually means nice cold winter mornings. Unfortunately the loads worked up under those conditions are often way different when shooting on an 80 degree summer day.

Got to find another powder besides Varget:(