Optimum Barrel Length?*

seeker_two

When it comes to carry pistol characteristics, things like caliber and capacity get talked about to death. One thing that rarely gets discussed is barrel length. Subcompact pistols offer the same capacities as their service-sized counterparts, but they offer more concealment options.....so they say. And modern ammunition seems to work as well in a 3" barrel as it does in a 4+" barrel.

Question: What barrel length do you consider optimal for a CCW?....4"?.....3.5"?....3"? Or do you have a different preference?

Thanks in advance.....

Metalboy

Some guns are much fatter than others, so not only the barrel length, but fatness plays a role too.
My CZ 75 is as comfortable to me as my Sig P239 under my belt at about 10 o'clock location.

Sig barrel is 3,6" .40
CZ is 4,5" 9mm.

Last edited:

jr24

I carry IWB at just in front of 3 O'clock, so longer barrels will either jab me in the hindquarters, or stick out by my back pocket (I'm sure I'm the only one who would notice).

I prefer the barrel of my CCW to be somewhere around 4-4.25", 4.5 works fine but I don't like to go too much under 4" for sight picture and controlability of the weapon.

Unless its a pocket gun, then it'll be small.

TunnelRat

When it comes to carry pistol characteristics, things like caliber and capacity get talked about to death. One thing that rarely gets discussed is barrel length. Subcompact pistols offer the same capacities as their service-sized counterparts, but they offer more concealment options.....so they say. And modern ammunition seems to work as well in a 3" barrel as it does in a 4+" barrel.

Question: What barrel length do you consider optimal for a CCW?....4"?.....3.5"?....3"? Or do you have a different preference?

Thanks in advance.....
Optimal will depend on the user. I carry pistols with barrels from 3.25" to 4.5". I barely notice barrel length but grip length is a bigger factor for me. However manufacturers typically tie barrel length into the overall size of the design so the two aren't mutually exclusive.

TBT

Good topic. For me, a 4" (or close enough to that) barrel is optimal. For the life of me I can't figure out what so many people see as advantages in a 3" barrel for carry. I carry every day and I have been unable to notice a tangible advantage. I know body types are vastly different etc and there are numerous carry methods and positions so it probably has to do with that. I can't help but wonder if marketing plays a roll too with "dedicated carry size guns" etc.

For me, I shoot my carry gun almost exclusively at the range. When I get time at the range it's spent training/practicing to become proficient with the weapon that I have chosen to be with me at all times. This practice has lead me to the conclusion that I'm vastly more proficient with a slightly larger weapon and have given up nothing meaningful in regards to concealability. As TunnelRat pointed out, the length of the grip means a lot more to how well a pistol conceals. Followed closely by width. A distant third would be barrel length. For me at least.

I find myself looking for that 5" height with 7" length and around 1.25" width to be the sweet spot for me.

Wreck-n-Crew

Optimal will depend on the user. I carry pistols with barrels from 3.25" to 4.5". I barely notice barrel length but grip length is a bigger factor for me.
Ditto.

Most printing I have noticed is from a longer, fatter grip. As far as comfort I can see a much longer barrel becoming a problem. Accuracy (from the user standpoint) is generally better with longer barrels. For me optimal would be a G19 or M&P compact 9mm grip with a full size G17 or M&P barrel and slide. Because of that many have cut down their G17,G21,G20, etc. and used the compact magazine for CCW. I don't know that they have did that in other guns with success but it is somewhat popular among some Glock users.

boondocker385

I am likely in the minority here, but I don't find barrel length or thickness to be an issue when carrying. I use OWB holsters (with retention) and don't really worry about printing, even in the people's Republic of Kalifornia. Most of my clothing is purchased and/or tailored to accommodate a sidearm and related gear. Amazing to me how many people see a coat and tie or a suit and never give a second look.