Optimizing for lead Bullets

GP100man

Drove to Wake Forest this wknd & spent a nice but cool day with DougGuy(CastBoolit Forum) & we fixed my cyls. & throats on 5 revolvers all had uneven throats (different sizes)& the usual ruff throats, not no more.

I disassembled & DougGuy worked his magic !! not really as he has a bench full of the correct tools to do the job with!!

All came home with matching throats & smooth forcing cones!!!

Here`s a pic of my blued GP100 throat, he cleaned it up nicely with a few turns of a 5degree cutter.
The throats he cut then polished to exactly the same thing (the best I could feel with the pin gage)enuff typing , I`ll let the pic say the rest !

Ifin ya thinkin of doing it yourself like I was there`s no way to afford all the pin gages,bushings & pilots to do it RIGHT.

Looking forward to range day!!!!!

GP100man

Vance

Did that increase the gap between the cylinder and the barrel? Or are you just saying you uniformed the diameter of the cylinder throats and the opening of the barrel? Not sure I understand.

GP100man

No it did nothing to the cyl. gap . Uniformed the throats of the cyl. The part of the cyl the case doesn't reach & the bullet goes thru to the forcing cone . This forcing cone is 5 degrees & all the 38/357s responded well to the 5degree cutter ,the 44 Redhawk required an eleven degree cutter to clean up all the chatter marks or grooves cut from not clearing the cutter or just plain chipped/worn cutter.

Actually ,I don`t know if the angle on the factory cutter was worn down or what ,but we did very little to lessen the fire ring surface on all the cones we cleaned up & that`s a good thing.