Optimal round(s) for S&W 65 Lady Smith

gak

Optimal round(s) for a S&W Lady Smith 65 (yes - K frame) 3" ? (fully shrouded at that). The (s) part is 1) for SD for gf, and, perhaps a different round 2) general household or carry - unisex (meaning w/o regard to gender). Got primarily for gf, but will be accessible to me as well for purposes mentioned.

Perhaps shed some light, while you're at it, on the purported (regular use of) .357-shy K frame (I would assume most comments would also apply to this variant) re stout loads--or perhaps even "regular" loads?--and even S&W's supposed comment of why the discontinuance of the K - to paraphrase broadly one remark I recently saw here or elsewhere "reliability with 125 gr..."
Intent from the start in getting this--thanks to some good advice on TFL btw--is that most of the time the LS would be stoked with .38+Ps, but would like to know what it can handle--and how regularly--beyond that. Thanks in advance.

18DAI

I was told by S&W to run 158 grain 357's in my K-frames at a rate of one 357 for every nine 38's. The K-frames are not weak guns. I've got over 10,000 rounds through a 19-4 ,It's showing some wear ,but it locks up like a bank vault ,and to this day is my most accurate handgun. That includes my PC 586 L-comp and my HK's. The 19-4 probably has about 2500 or so 158 grain 357's through it. The problems with K-frames comes with 110 and 125 grain magnums. The lighter faster rounds hurt the forcing cone and pound the frame in recoil. The hot plasma gas cuts the top strap and contributes with the other effects to endshake and going out of time. I heard from another S&W employee years ago (Sorry I can't recall the name ,he worked in the performance center) that the stainless versions ,66 ,65 were in his opinion tougher than the carbon steel models. I raised this on the S&W forum ,and noone could remember seeing a cracked forcing cone on a 65 or 66. Keep in mind I'm referring to pre lock ,pre 2 piece barrel K-frames, not the new products which the try to pass off as "Traditional" S&W quality. Hope this helps ,Regards 18DAI.

Marko Kloos

I carry a three-inch K-frame as well. Magnums are by no means uncontrollable in that gun (which weighs in at 30-ish ounces), but I much prefer .38 Special +P loads. They are much more controllable and pleasant to shoot. The three-inch K and the .38 +P just seem to go very well together...those loads are very controllable, pleasant enough to shoot even for long range sessions, and easy on the gun. In addition, they offer plenty of power, and sufficient terminal performance, without excessive recoil or noise, and without overpenetration tendencies.

The new Speer "short barrel" 135-grain +P loads are great, and the old 158-grain LSWCHP "FBI load" is also an effective and time-tested option. You can get 100-round bulk boxes of Remington/UMC .38 Special +P at Wally World if you wish to practice with +P loads as well, and the weight of the 65LS will soak up the recoil very well. I can shoot hundreds of rounds of that load in a practice session without discomfort.

Your 65LS can handle plenty of .357 Magnums, though. If you do settle on Magnums, use heavier bullets, as the lightweight 125-grain loads tend to beat up the forcing cone, but even that would take more ammo through that gun than most people care to shoot in their lifetimes.

denfoote

I carry Federal 158gr HydroShoks in my 65-6.
I fired enough of them to insure they would function and hit to POA. For fun and practice I use .38spl, not because the magnum loads would hurt it, the specials are about $10 cheaper!!!!