Optimal barrel length for a .22 LR?

Dog Confetti

I've heard that the average .22LR reaches peak velocity with a 20" or 22" inch barrel...I'm trying to think of an excuse to put something other than a new 16" barrel on my 10/22.

Any info?

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've heard different numbers, but none as high as 20". The usual numbers being batted about are 16 to 18 inches.

LHB1

I agree. Seems like the quoted length for max velocity has always been around 18" or less.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Raymond Losli

Ya JohnSka & LHB1 are right . there is no Velocity gain after 16' on .22 Rimfire.
I use a 16' VQ Carbon and it shoots dimes all day @ 50 yrds. Quarter size groups @ 100 consistent with quality match ammo.
I don't think there is any reason to get any longer than a 16 or 18 inch unless it is a Anschutz or a Cooper or similar for Comp.
In my opinion it's extra length and weight you just dont need on a .22 rimfire barrel.

Dog Confetti

Good...It was going to be hard for me to stomach putting anything more than 16" or 18" inches on a varmint rifle.

How much to the VQ carbon barrels weigh? I've been looking at the GM fluted barrels, but if the weight difference is significant I may be willing to shell out an extra ~$100 for a carbon one.

Raymond Losli

DogConfetti:
How much to the VQ carbon barrels weigh? I've been looking at the GM fluted barrels, but if the weight difference is significant I may be willing to shell out an extra ~$100 for a carbon one.

I do like the extra weight of a short CM bull-barrel on High Vel. .22 and especially on .17 but
I chose to go ultra light with the VQ Carbon because I only shoot eley sub-sonic from it. It's only reamed on the chamber for Match. No high-vel. stingers and crap like that.
I have shot other guys short Carbons on High Vel. and it's not that bad- just a little muzzle jump.
With a short CM bull-barrel you will be more rock solid on the groups with the little extra weight it gives you with high-Vel .22.
Sub-sonic Match loads I would go Ultra light, Match-Grade Carbon. for High Velocity I would go with the CM 16-18 inch bull.
VQ are around 2 bills / another 40-50 $ for Muzzle brake. You can get good deals around on the Web. for CM or stainless short .22 bull-barrels . Some good package deals to
.edit to add:
Railroader has a good link also.
those whistle pigs are actually lighter in weight than the VQ's & I hear they are pretty accurate also.
But remember / Match Chamber / no stingers and junk.