Optics for a Savage 10 FCP-K?

Laminator

Hello All,

I apologize for posting such a frequently asked question. But I am really having trouble justifying the right scope for my new rifle.

My original budget for a scope was $500, but after trying out a friend's rifle- sporting a Leupold VX-3L I was very impressed. However still being very new to rifles, I may have been swayed on looks alone.

Is the extra 1K really worth it, considering my lack of experience? I would not mind waiting longer, if it the extra cost would truly be worth it.

Rifle is a .308, I am hoping to shoot in the 200-300 yard range. But would love my options open if it was possible to reach out to 600+ range on the same scope.

Thanks!

Spending the money on good glass is always worth it... I would opt for one of the long range target or Mark 4 series leupolds for 1000 yard shooting..

nimbleVagrant

If you're just getting long range shooting, I'd suggest you start with something in the lower $200-400 range and then move up to excellent quality glass if you do get into shooting. Unless, of course, you got some money to blow. In which case, there's far better glass than Leupold. Leupold is by no means crap, but they are at the lower end of the high quality optics spectrum.

As far as what's necessary to really reach out with a rifle; I'd take a very clear optic with a low magnification over cheap glass with a high magnification any day. To shoot out to 1000 yards with a decent quality optic, I don't think more than 10X is necessary.

chaser_2332

with just 300 yard max for now try the bushnell elite 10x40 with mil/mil adjustments. you wont need anything over 10 power to shoot at that distance, and just getting started you will have decent glass to see how your gonna like it before you move on up to better (expensive) things.

Laminator

Thanks for the replies guys.

I know the Savage 10 is not too much above the Edge. But I still want the best scope I can afford on it. At the moment- it's not a big deal to wait a little longer for a better scope.

Starting with a lower quality scope- and later buying a really nice one would just make me spend more money in the end. So my goal was to start off with something on the higher end, but less then $1,500 including tax.

What would you guys suggest for something in the $1,500 range- with a 10x max zoom?

nimbleVagrant

In that price range, Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x 32mm zero stop . All the scope you'll ever need on a .308. It's the kind of scope you own for the rest of your life.

chad_g

nimbleVagrant is dead on in respect to some of the Leupold line of scopes. While some of their upper lines are very nice, you can find a cheaper scope with better glass.

This forum:

http://www.opticstalk.com/

has been very valuable to me in helping me find the right scope. With the amount of money you are talking about, the guys on this forum can help you find an excellent scope to suit your purpose.

Jimro

A quality 6x scope is a great option for a 308.

But for long range shooting, make sure you get target or "tactical" knobs.

Jimro

Kreyzhorse

Nikon Monarchs are nice for the price.

+1

My last scope purchase was going to be a Leupold or a Zeiss. After comparing those to the Monarch, I walked away with the Monarch.

Check one out and see what you think of one. There is nothing wrong with the Leupold mind you, but there are lots of great scope options out there.

Laminator

Thanks guys, I called SWFA and told them what I was looking for, and my needs. They suggested a few scopes far below my planned budget.

One of the scopes, that I have read great things about (although not the exact model) were the SWFA SS scopes.
There 3-9x42 model has me very interested.

A few people have told me that 3-9 will be fine up to 600 yards. And others have suggested up to 900+
Being a newb- I am leaning towards more is better.

There were also a few mentions of the Vortex Viper scopes.

Just jumped on Opticstalk.com yesterday, and read some great stuff. I'm kind of bouncing off the walls, with all this information at hand. However- so far I have not been able to narrow much down.

It would be fantastic to own a Nightforce or US Optics scope. But that's a far stretch and beyond.

Txhillbilly

You might want to take a look at Sightron. I have bought 2 of them for my long range rifles.Great scopes,and the glass rates right with my Swarovski PH for about a 1/3 of the price.

Laminator

My budget is about anything below $1000 right now. Got carried away with some new purchases involving a different hobby. lol

I will look into Sightron, as I've heard great things about them. Thanks for the suggestions.

nimbleVagrant

for around $1k, maybe a little more, your best bet would be a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x 40mm with a mil reticle. It's probably the best glass in that price range. But like I said before, you'd be better off buying something much less expensive like a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x 40mm with mil/mil turrets & reticle for $200. You can cut your teeth on a relatively inexpensive scope, figuring out what you like and dislike, what would suit you. All while saving up for something in at least the $1500 range. Trust me, that extra $500 will open up a much larger world in terms of quality and options.