Optics for .300 acc BLK pistol

Doc Intrepid

Guys, I'm working with a Daniel Defense M-4 upper in .300 acc Blackout, 10.5" bbl on an AR pistol Lower, and am having issues settling on an optic.

I like an electronic element for low-light environments; however, this build should effectively reach out to 200-300 meters.

I'm used to either open iron sights or an EOTech 552. For the .300 acc cartridge at ranges between 200-300 meters, however, I'd rather have an optic that offers magnification. Because of the size of the AR pistol, I don't want to add a flip-over magnifier to a red dot.

For the moment I'm just not willing to drop $1400.00 on an ACOG.

Anyone have recommendations for a relatively durable, relatively compact telescopic sight that offers an electrical component?? Not a red dot, so much as an illuminated reticle? (I've seen some nice illuminated reticle rifle scopes, however, they're as long as my entire AR pistol! Not what I'm after...)

One I've thought might meet my needs is this Burris AR-332, which offers 3x magnification and an effective electronics component:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sights/ar-sights-series/ar-332

Anyone else have any ideas? All suggestions are appreciated...

Sharkbite

Well heres my set up

9" AAC SBR with a micro dot. With that set up ive got things covered to 300 yards easily.

Ive run a Leupold 1-4 VX-R on the gun as well. I much prefer the light/small micro dots for close range/low light work.

Additionally, since your gun is a "pistol" obtaining a proper eye relief on a magnified scope may be problematic. Even when set on 1X you still have a small eyebox to get into with any magnified optic.

For me at least, getting COM hits out to 300 is not a prob with a straight Red Dot. Headshots out to 100 are not difficult either. I dont think you can ask much more out of a short rifle or pistol in this caliber.

Doc Intrepid

That sounds reasonable, however, I suspect you're a few years younger than I am. You've probably got better eyesight.

Reason I'm looking for at least *some* magnification is because my eyesight is just not sharp enough to pick out targets at 300 meters, particularly if the target is proned out or behind light cover, etc.

I'm not looking for a sniper scope, but I suspect a 3x or 4x (approximately) image would make it easier to put the round where I want it to go. (At least that's the case with my other rifles!)

waveslayer

get a magnifier or be stoked on just the standard EO Tech that you have. I have a 512 on a 8" and we blast steel at 300 with subs all day long, non issues. use the extra cash and get another fun upper or the magnifier, g33

Sharkbite

Understood...

In that case look hard at the Vortex 1-4 or 1-6 scopes. Lots of glass for the money and one heck of a warranty.

I put one of the 1-4s on a 300blk bolt gun and i REALLY like the combo. The reticle gives lots of hold over points for subs

Houndog

1x4 Vortex is a very nice scope and might work for you. I have a Super Sniper 1x4 that I also really like, although it is on an AR rifle. Optics of the Super Sniper are not quite as nice as the Vortex, but are a good deal cheaper and are still well made, sturdy scopes with pretty nice glass.

The one thing I would worry about with most of these magnified scopes is eye relief. The Vortex and Super Sniper aren't really going to work if you're more than 4-5 inches behind the scope. In my experience the ACOG's have even shorter eye relief. That's what nice about the Aimpoints, and Eotechs, they work regardless of how far behind them you are.

Doc Intrepid

Thanks guys - I'll do some more checking and some range work with my current EOTech. I hadn't considered the eye relief issue, although on this build it may not be a problem (the 'brace' is adjustable along the buffer tube).

Worth a try before a buy. Thanks again for the suggestions.

rugerdawg

I picked up Primary Arms new 1 x 6, the illuminated reticle takes a little getting used to, but its day time bright and pretty true on 1x. I can shoot both eyes open. Its clear out to the edges even on 6x. I have much more expensive scopes and yes I can tell a difference but for the coin it is a nice scope.

Houndog

Primary Arms also makes a very nice copy of a micro-Aimpoint red dot for a lot less money. Probably not as rugged as a real Aimpoint, but you can sometimes pick them up on sale for a couple of hundred dollars, so a lot cheaper. I have one on a 10.5" Bravo Company upper that I really like and is probably my favorite gun for shooting anything between 10-100 yards.

Mobuck

I'm going hunt deer with an AR pistol this fall. Most likely will use a 2X Aimpoint since I have a lot of confidence in them.

nomad636

Holosun HS515C

I know I'm posting late in the game, and you may very well have already made an optics decision.... but I figured I would interject anyways.

I have recently acquired a Holosun HS515C red dot sight and I am going to highly recommend it for your application. Holosun has taken all of the good points from Aimpoint and EoTech and combined them into one optic... and added a few new features of their own.

This optic has the option of using a basic 2moa red dot, or an eotech like circle dot. It has a solar panel on the top so that it doesn't have to run on its 50,000hr battery (although it can and does just fine).

I have an aimpoint T1, Vortex Sparc II and this Holosun. This holosun has replaced my vortex sparc II on my 10.5" AR Pistol in .223wylde. This is my truck gun and pig hunting partner. I appreciate the clean lines on this optic and unlike some other big name brand optics... it doesn't have a bunch of stuff hanging off of the side to cloud your two eye open view.

The price point on Holosun's website is $305 but it can be found other places for the mid $250's. I believe that Primary Arms has it listed on their sight, and as some of us know... Marshall over there has outstanding customer service.

Take a moment to look up some reviews on it.

Thanks for your time.

Austin

Sharkbite

Nomad,

Thst is the exact optic i am running on my 9" SBR. I took a chance and picked it up at SHOT last year. So far...so good

rickyrick

No help on which optic, but I suggest a dot mounted at absolute cowitness height. Anything higher on a pistol AR would be more difficult to get a good eye alignment if you choose to use the tube for a cheek weld

MarkCO

Variable power rifle optics on a pistol are going to be a waste of your money. Anything decent is going to be well over what you want to spend. Cheek weld, eye relief inconsistencies will make the parallax eat your lunch, especially on cheaper optics.

The Burris you mentioned is a decent choice, or a 1x reflex type of sight. I have a Burris FFII on my 300BO pistol, along with a green and IR laser. I can get good groups out to 200, but even in a rifle, the 300 BO is not what I would choose for reliable hits out past 200.

nomad636

Shark bite I'm glad to hear that you've liked the optic. Has the battery held out for you? It seems that they've taken all of the good things from Eotech and Aimpoint and put them in a solid optic. Especially having the QD mount, flip caps and kill flash integrated into the package.

I'm with MarkCO - a magnified rifle optic is a bad choice for an AR pistol due to eye relief and cheek weld consistency issues. Not to mention the size/weight/balance problems. I'd go with a red dot, or if you really must have magnification, then a scope specifically designed for pistol use.

Sharkbite

Shark bite I'm glad to hear that you've liked the optic. Has the battery held out for you? It seems that they've taken all of the good things from Eotech and Aimpoint and put them in a solid optic. Especially having the QD mount, flip caps and kill flash integrated into the package.

So far, so good. It has held zero even under fairly heavy abuse. Ive never ditched the gun onto the deck, but its bounced around on a sling quite a bit.

The scope came with 2 mounts. A high (AR hight) and a low (AK hight).

Ive only had it since last SHOT show, so mid Jan. Even if it had been on constantly since then the batt would still be good. With the solar cell on top, it should last a LONG time