Optical Sights

XD Gunner

Looking for a economical Holographic Sight. Maximum price is around $450-475. Realistically speaking, a reliable, durable sight that will be used almost exclusively for range shooting and close range hunting, what would be the best buy in that price range.

Redbullitt

That should be able to get you an eotech, especially a used one.
Bushnell makes a notable one that looks just like the eotech as well.

for a dot sight, vortex sparc is pretty nice.

10mmAuto

I'd recommend the Eotech brand over the sights they produced for Bushnell. The ones produced for Bushnell lack the metal "armor" on the sight. I like rugged sights for hunting, but I'm a very physical guy. Still, given the option of plastic over metal I feel like most would agree regardless.

Tomac

512 uses AA batteries and provides an absolute cowitness w/BUIS. 516 uses CR123 batteries, has side control buttons and a raised 7mm base for a 1/3 cowitness. 517 (my fav) is identical to the 516 but uses AA batteries.
Tomac

shanzlik

I like the compact XPS model.

EOTechLaRuemount.jpg

I would recommend Holosight(personal experience). The reason military grade EOTech have side armour is due to side drop test but odds of hitting it on side hard is not high.

I've used both Holosight and military grade EOTech, and reticle looked the same to me.

Holosight was smaller/lighter than EOTech due to lithium battery and lack of side armour. When I called L3 Communication/EOTech, they told me that they make the Holosight for Bushnell and that it's basically regular EOTech w/o side armour, taking lithium battery, and no NVD switch, and Bushnell marking on it.

You can probably get used Holosight for $200 or less.

The other sight I would recommend, based on other people's recommendation, is Lucid HD7(no personal experience, just recommendation from people I know). HD7 combines features from both LED Aimpoint and EOTech(LED reticle on holographic display).

HD7 goes for around $200 new. It's made in Asia by a startup(former manager of Brunton Optics) and according to the founder, designed/engineered in US and made in Asia to cut down the cost.

just an obsevation

if people bought cars based on the way many on this forum recommend optics(milspec EOTech, Aimpoint, ACOG, etc. only), then vehicles other than military grade Land Rover, Jeep, Humvee, Nissan Patrol, etc. are less than reliable and not as capable off-road, LOL.

Statistically speaking, greatest everyday risk that most people, including people in high risk occupation like police, face is driving but most people don't drive in milspec vehicle or even name brand vehicles like BMW.

FWIW, while I've driven Land Rover/Jeep/etc., I happen to think other non-milspec vehicles that face intense commercial market competition like Toyota/Hyundai(yes, they are getting more and more reliable)/etc. give HIGHER BANG FOR BUCK and is more than adequate for most needs.

Just a thought.

Gehrhard

Which is why I went with a Vortex SPARC for that $200. Besides, I just don't want to spend hundreds more for a red dot (call me cheap -- it is OK). I like real sights but appreciate the optical sights too.
Gehr