Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Trijicon ACOG TA11E

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other; Please Explain

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amprecon

I've been wondering what would be the better option for my RRA LAR-8.

I've been looking pretty hard at Leupolds new line of VX-R scopes, they're illuminated dot and the model I've been considering is the 4-12X50 with 30mm tubes, they're running about $650 on SWFA.

The other option, which I keep looking at then turning away from due to cost and also its percieved lack of versatility, is the Trijicon TA11E or TA31F ACOG.

I like the idea of being able to see at distance with the VX-R, but also like the rugged trouble-free no batteries ACOGs. I imagine the ACOG would be a lighter and smaller setup.

I'd just hate to go with the low-power ACOG and then realize I need the magnification of a variable powered scope.

I plan to use this rifle for hunting mostly, but would also use it for any "name your own eotwayki" scenario.

I already have a RRA LAR-6 with CompC3 which would cover my close-in needs. Just need to know if the ACOG would be enough for distances you'd use a .308 for.

LAWDEAN

LAWDEAN

AMPRECON,

A bit later --from your first post, as am new here. But saw your request on optics for RRA 7.62/.308, which I have in hand as 20 inch barrel Standard.

Since have ARMS fast detach levers, can mount up choices, such as the Trijicon RX30 reflex red dot, Meota 4x16x44 Meostar R-1 Mil Dot, Trijicon 5x20x50 G2 green dot duplex, and can change out and does maintain zero with all.

Using RX30 inside 300 M, Meota to 500 M, and Trijicon 5x20 clears out all moving targets inside and out to 1,000 M. As soon as new Meopta 6x24 or 8x32 comes out --will be trying it.

RRA heavy is a fabulously accurate stock barrel, as getting half minute groups all the way to 300 (which after that--- it is my shooter's own fault, as bad eyes even with a good scope...). Try the new FNs or SIGs or outrageously accurate SAKO TRG 42, as these are getting right out of box accuracy. Remember the saying, "only accurate rifles are interesting"...

I try to do fast detach on all my Picatinny rails semi-autos (except rimfires).

Good luck, and go shooting every opportunity, my friend.

LAWDEAN

TimW77

Not a Leupold!

Regardless of how big of a tantrum the scope snobs throw, Leupold is NOT the best scope for every one and all needs!

I have 4 RRA LAR-8 rifles and not a single one has a Leupold on it. Scope range from a $1400 Valdada, to a $700 Shepherd down to a $300 Nikon BuckMaster and $200 Millett 1-4X DMS scope.

Each and every one of these scopes regardless of the price fill MY needs for the application.

"I'd just hate to go with the low-power ACOG and then realize I need the magnification of a variable powered scope."

That's the way I am, sometimes need a lot of magnification but also want low power for close/fast shots.

The Millett fills the need for me in a inexpensive scope.

Valdada, though more expensive has 1-4X, 1.5-8X and 2-12X scope.

Weaver has very inexpensive 1-3X and 2-10X scopes.

I have all of these on various rifles but not a single Leupold!

"Just need to know if the ACOG would be enough for distances you'd use a .308 for."

Personally, at least for MY needs, the Valdada 2-12X scope is perfect for all of my needs on a longer barreled (20"+) .308W M-1A or "AR-10 type" rifle.

T.

Artie

There's no way I would go with an ACOG on a hunting rifle unless I expected very close range shots as the norm. If you plan on any shooting at distance, you should rule the ACOG out IMO. That's not to say that they aren't nice, I just think people get more caught up with all the other aspects of the ACOG and forget what the intended use of the rifle will be. It's kinda like buying a Porsche when you have a family of 5.

I really like the VX-R, and I think it would be a wise choice. There are better scopes, and there are worse, but I think that scope would serve you well.

I just completed an AR build (6.8SPC), and I had trouble deciding on optics as well. I still haven't decided what the final result will be, so in the meantime I topped it with a VX-II 3-9x50. It is fine for hunting purposes with that round, as I won't likely see a shot over 200 yards where I hunt, but I still want the magnification you don't get with the ACOG.

I want to see the guys shoot that are getting 1/2 MOA with a RRA AR at 300+ yards! That is some impressive shooting in my book, but then again I've never fired that setup, so it might not be that impressive to those in the know.

amprecon

Thanks fellas, I'm kind of leaning towards the Leupold, but why the anti-Leupold sentiments TimW77? You have bad experiences with them? I saw their new illuminated line, the VX-Rs and haven't been able to find another competitive option for the price.

The more I think about it the more I'm liking the ability to magnify to 12 power whereas you'd be stuck at 3.5x or 4x with the ACOG, leaving you wanting in some situations. Leaving the variable power scope on 4x setting and you'd essentially have a ACOG of sorts.

Palmetto-Pride

I also like magnification on a long range set up, but did just recently buy a ACOG for my AR15 5.56/.223 it was brand new and I got it for $500.00, so I couldn't pass it up. I will say this about it the optics are amazing, its very light weight, has a very rugged feel about it and once zeroed at 100meters I just couldn't miss this little 4" steel target I was shooting at. I would like to take out to longer ranges, but I haven't had the chance yet. I don't think I would have a problem hitting MOD (minuet of deer) with it at 300 meters.

madcratebuilder

Take a look at the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50, two models, one with FFP. Lot of users at the Snipershide are comparing them to Nightforce and they are half the cost.

sailskidrive

SWFA

Have you considered SWFA's Super Sniper? I have a fixed 10x on my Fulton Armory varmint AR; it's very rugged and good quality glass for the price.

If I had an AR10 flatop; I would probably go with the ACOG 4x32 with backup iron sites.

SmokyBaer

I'm running a VX-R on my M1A and it ain't half bad looking at dusk with a red dot inside a scope. Different but no regrets.

alloy

Just trying to follow along with the various reasonings from the cheap seats...what length barrel?

My ar-10 carbine has a Nightforce 1x4, and for that rifle it's just about perfect.

KChen986

I think a 6x .308 ACOG would work fine.

I personally went with a Leupold Mk4 and a red dot in a dual optic set up for my LAR-8.

DSC_0226.JPG

Dana C

I put a Weaver Grand Slam Varmint on my AR. It is a 6-20x40. I don't blow off ammo just to do it. I am a slow fire paper guy and like varmints as well. I went with higher power to allow for my crappy eyes and to bring small critters and bulls eyes on long shots up close. The scope makes using the charging handle a little tricky but the inconvenience is worth it.

MOshooter65202

I have a DPMS LR308AP4 308 carbine 16" barrel,I use this rifle for a brush gun,so I wanted low to medium magnification scope in a small and lightweight package.I found a Burris Signature series illuminated reticle(Electro Dot) in a 11/2-6 power which seems to work very well in close range as well as out to 300+ yards on deer size game.
bdb028ef.jpg

amprecon

That is one nice looking rig MOshooter65202.

I like to keep things as simple as possible. The more I find to read about optics on AR-10's the more I like the idea of a TA11E on it. Plenty of eye relief, simple, robust, nothing to muck with. Just sight it in and its always ready to go.

I've been reading about those that have that combination and they have no problems hitting targets at 300 yards. That's about all I needed to hear :)

amprecon

KChen986,
Is that a 50mm objective? If I went with the Leupold I was wondering what size rings I should get, medium or high?

Nice looking setup btw.

As cool as a TA11 ACOG would be, I think the variable power Leupold would be more versatile.

Here's mine, in the ruff:

RRALAR-8.jpg

MOshooter65202

Thanks ampercon I really like the RRA LAR-8's very nice rifles :cool:
I really like the Trijicon ACOG's rugged illuminated w/o batteries.When I first purchased my .308 6 years ago I was going to purchase a model similar to the current TA11J308,I ended up finding the Burris used for a really good buy and for a whitetail brushgun it works pretty good.
All of my bolt actions have Leupold VXII & III's I have been very satisfied with the reliability and service from my Leupolds. I have 2 VXIII's with the Illuminated crosshairs a 4.5-14x50mm with a 30mm tube and a 3.5-10x50mm 1 inch tube,the 30mm tube does gather more light early dawn and late dusk hours for those monster bucks :D

Zak Smith

It depends wholly on the intended application of the rifle. In this article I break down 3 applications and corresponding optic categories:

D100_5378_img.jpg

article | Fighting Carbine Optics

It was written mostly around .223 but it applies to .308 as well.

tobnpr

I'll add my voice to the above posters that recommend sticking with a hunting style scope, rather than an ACOG or the like...whole different ballgame.

I gotta say I'm a Vortex fanboy now, own a couple of their Vipers, had a problem with one and had the opportunity to use their outstanding customer service...Lifetime warranty on all their scopes...that's a pretty big deal, particularly when they do back it up...

If you've never owned/looked through a Viper (there's several models with the "top" being the PST), you really should give them a try. For any given price point, I've not seen anyone else's glass top them.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-Rifle-Scopes-C1408.aspx