Optic for light weight AR -- Bushnell TR-25 vs. Zortex Sparc

KyJim

I'm in the process of getting a Colt 6720, a light weight carbine. I want to keep any optic light and am looking at the Bushnell TRS-25 and Zortex Sparc (The Aimpoint Micro is just too spendy for my needs.). This carbine would be for home defense and relatively short range plinking (100 yards max.). I won't be jumping out of airplanes but do want something that won't break or lose zero with a little bumping and handling.

I've looked at some reviews of each, including YouTube reviews by forum members plouffedaddy on the Bushnell and Sturmgewehre on the Sparc (BTW, thanks guys for the nice reviews).

Has anyone tried both? How do they compare?

Venom1956

Vortex if I could pick one. Vortex CS has been great. Bushnell 'lost' my old bushnell marked EoTech sight and while they gave me a replacement it was as nice.

Mrgunsngear

The advantage of the Vortex is that it'll give you more mounting options. That said the PA micro dot gives you the same mounting options and does so at a lower price with similar quality. I suggest taking a look at it if you're looking for budget micro dots.

picture11vl.png

picture12o.png

The TRS is great for applications where you mount it directly onto a rail IMO.....

img1525u.jpg

Quentin2

Haven't used the Sparc but have a couple TRS-25s and no complaints with 7.62x39 on down. I bought one as a test and no issues so bought another. Had them a couple years now and would buy another. For $80 it's hard to beat.

KyJim

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the PA micro.

Burris FastFire III
I looked at it. Looked a bit fragile to me. Like I said, I'm not jumping out of plains but do want something that will stand some abuse.

Uncle Malice

I weighed the same options and went with the PA micro. I also picked up the Bushnell when Botach was having a sale, so I have both and rather enjoy them.

At a slightly higher price point, I also have the Lucid HD-7 which is really nice. If there's any downside to it at all, it's just that it's slightly larger and heavier than the micros.

The vortex looks nice though, but for the money you can get 2 PA/Bushnell's.

Beentown71

I use both the SPARC and TRS 25. For the money the TRS has just plain worked for anyone I know who has used it.

The SPARC is what I would choose if money wasn't tight. Great options for mounting and very good build quality. Best warranty in the business too boot.

SVTCobra306

I have the TRS-25 on my Armalite. In Baghdad and at Bragg I used an Aimpoint and a Trijicon AcOG.. both are obviously better but also much more expensive. For the average shooter the TRS-25 is a more than adequate substitute, I like it enough I'll probably never be able to justify the expense of an Aimpoint over it.