Opinons on a new rifle

swampy308

Im thinking about buying another 22Hornet, and found a Winchester 1885 single shot, and love the looks of it.
Just wondering if anyone on here knows how they group, and how strong the action/reciever are.
Sorry if these sound like dumb questions, ive only owned Remington & Savage.

Scorch

The Winchester 1885 High Wall and the 1885 Low Wall are John Browning designs, and are considered one of the strongest rifle actions available, having been chambered for many high-pressure cartridges over the years. The 22 Hornet will not challenge that action at all. During the late 1800s, the 1885 High Wall dominated the target scene, so there is no doubt about their accuracy potential. Good choice all around.

PetahW

While I like both the 1885 action (VERY strong), and the Hornet (I have two), I think I'd rather have a Hornet in a smaller/lighter action (since I view/use a Hornet as a walk-around rifle) - and I can't recall many newer FB actions that are/were scaled-down to be more compatible with the Hornet's diminutive (comparatively) size.

"Grouping" is more a function of a good particular barrel, good sighting equipment, and a good shooter, than a particular different FB action, IMHO.

Pathfinder45

My brother.....

....has owned various 1885's, even one in .22 Hornet and currently .375 Dakota. There is no finer single-shot rifle than the 1885.

swampy308

Thanks for the information guys, im also thinking about one of the new model 70 super grade wish they had 308.