Opinions wanted on remington centerfire pistol ammo

Soujurn

The Golden Saber has a good reputation, and has performed well in cloth covered gelatin tests I have read about.
I carry 180gr GS in my carry gun (a H&K, USP40C).

foghornl

The Golden Sabre rounds work flawlessly in my KP-90 Ruger. I am not a fan of Rem's "generic" UMC brand of ammo. The only FTF I have had with my KP-90 was with round 97 of 100 with UMC.

The UMC's were not consistant in terms felt recoil, report and muzzle flash. After I used up those 2 boxes and examined my weapon, I felt that the "powder" must have been 1 part pine tar, 1 part "kitty litter" and 2 parts black strap molasses, with a dash of asphalt driveway topcoat. Dirtiest I have ever seen any weapon after 100 rounds, blackpowder weapons excluded.

This is My Humble Opinion Only, your mileage will vary:

Golden Sabres work great in MY Ruger, I avoid UMC brand ammo.

Ben Shepherd

I carry 125gr golden sabers in my 357 SP101 every day. It shoots to point of aim with my fixed sights.

Have had 1 cylinerful of ammo submarined. Took gun home, cleaned it, marked that ammo, shot it a couple weeks later. All 5 went off.

Works for me.

hansolo

UMC

When I run out of S&B and have to re-fill my prescription at Wal-Mart, I use UMC in 9mm and .38 Sp.: Cycles fine for me and I always clean after shooting anyway...

stans

A few years ago I was working up some .357 Magnum loads using a couple of different 158gr JHP bullets. I worked up to maximum in two revolvers, then I chronographed some Remington 158gr JHP ammo. The Remington ammo was about 50 fps faster than my best handloads. I kind of gave up on hot loading the .357 at that point.

Onslaught

Golden Sabre - I use it in all our carry pistols...
124gr+p in the 9mm's, 165gr in .40s&w.

UMC - Target ammo... cheap... available at Wallyworld.

fastbolt

Everybody's bulk grade economy ammo is loaded differently than their better, more expensive lines ...

Usually, in the past, we'd only notice the ammo appeared "dirtier" when we'd order 15K-60K of this type of ammo for qualification, no matter the manufacturer. Then, we later started ordering the "standard" contract-type line in JHP, as the pricing was similar enough to make it worthwhile, so it could be used as both training & issue. Examples of this would be the Remington Express line, and the Winchester Subsonic & Personal Defense or USA lines.

This ammunition is still dirtier than the premium ammo produced by these same companies, but appears cleaner than their bulk grade ammo.

Something else we noticed was that no matter the manufacturer, or whether it was bulk FMJ or the slightly higher priced standard line of JHP, we experienced occasional failures to ignite with good hits on primers. One day I counted two out of something like three cases used, and it was a mix of two different manufacturers ... These things happen, and that's why we pay more for premium ammo when we can afford it.

At the moment we're stocked with a combination of Winchester standard contract & Personal Defense in one caliber, and Remington Express in two other calibers. Both seem equally accurate.

But we issue Ranger "T" Series ... and before we did that, I bought my own premium duty & off duty ammo ... generally Remington Golden Sabre, Winchester SXT or Speer Gold Dot ...

PsychoSword

I do not like the Golden Sabers as they are a somewhat weak round. I prefer Remington's full power factory loads for .357 and .41 mag. I've never had a misfire and they are fairly powerful, unlike their Golden Saber and Medium Velocity series.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I too, like Remington ammunition; including the UMC
made in Arkansas. Never had a problem with any of
their products; but I always clean my weapons
after each meal!:eek: :cool: :D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

KSFreeman

Don't care for the Yellow Knife load. The lots I shot had HUGE fireballs suitable only for gun rags.

Love the Arkansas UMC stuff for skul work when can't get Black Hills.

IMHO.

Cee-Zed

I prefer Winchester USA to Remington UMC in 9mm; otherwise I don't see much difference in their products, to be honest. This is probably because I prefer Speer!

One "bargain" ammo that I avoid like the plague is Federal American Eagle. Some of their 9mm looks like it was swept up off the factory floor. Not too cool, as it costs much more than USA and UMC. No joke, I wouldn't put some Fed AE that I have seen in my guns...

Snowdog

I'm a fan of 230gr Golden Saber for all my .45acp autos. The accuracy is consistant, as mentioned before, and the QC seems to be acceptable.

fd3507c2.jpg

fd3507c1.jpg

These (if they load) are comparisons between expanded 230gr Winchester SXTs (left) and 230gr Remington Golden Sabers (right).

Brian Newbill

I like the 165gr Golden Saber. It shoots to POA with my G23 and has been very consistent for me.

I feel the bullet is very well made. I have shot it at an old washing machine before and had it penetrate through the outer casing the drum the agitator and then back out the agitator again before putting a big dent in the drum. This was one of the all steel old timey washing machines.

I have had mixed experiences with UMC. I like it better and it is much cleaner than PMC but I feel that Win USA has been more consistent.