Opinions wanted: H&K USP Compact LEM VS. Sig Saur P220 Equinox?

worldishis

Now this is going to be my CCW and I have been wanting and waiting to get an Equinox for a long while, but I must do the proper diligence and explore all options here so dont string me up just yet please.

The first question I have been asking myself when deciding what to get for a CCW was; would I bet my life on the dependency of the gun? I can answer yes with both of these guns just reading and hearing owners and their experiences. The reason I didnt say my personal experience is because honestly, I don't have ANY with the H&K at all. I dont recall ever holding one, although I very well could have a number of times.

So without too much babbling here, what are your thoughts on both of these weapons, right down to the finishes? Obviously, nobody can tell me with 100% accuracy which one is truly better. I realize when you get down to this kind of "caliber" of firearm it is all about personal preference. I mean, this is not Hi-Point and Sig here. :biggrin: The most I can wish for is honest, unbiased, educated, and informative opinions based on first hand experience.

So please help me find my CCW!

Thanks,
Robert

Heraclid

Well, I can't really comment on firing either, but it would be REALLY hard for me not to get the Equinox if it were me. I love the look (and have never been much for the HK's - no reason, just not into 'em). But apparently Sig's aren't real lefty friendly either, and I'm a southpaw. But yeah, the Equinox, to me at least, is one very attractive gun.

worldishis

Honestly, I wasnt into H&K's either. It took me a pretty open mind to even consider them. I didnt really like the look when I first started, but they have kind of grown on me since. I will NEVER like the h&k look over the equinox, thats just a fine gun!:)

But my number one goal in a CCW is to have the most reliable and accurate gun, because at the end of the day no matter how good looking that equinox is, looks dont kill.

EastSideRich

One time myself and a friend rented a USP and a 220 at the same time.
From what I remember both shot nicely. Slightly different ergonomics and feel, but both excellent pistols.
I think the USP was a full sized and not the compact.
(You could always go with the 220 compact or carry model.)

I can say I think the Sig is a much nicer looking pistol - but as has already been said : Looks don't kill.

I have a .40 229 equinox and LOVE it. I'm afraid to carry it though, for fear of scratching the finish.
I have mentioned before in another thread that the Nitron scratches easily, but thought about it and realized I was wrong. The frame is aluminum, which is where the scratches are. It's anodized, not Nitron. The Nitron finish is actually in really good shape.
Don't know about the finish on the HK, but the equinox will scratch.

Basically, go fondle both side by side, You'll know which is right for you.
When we got the 220 and USP side by side, I just knew the Sig was right for me; just felt better in the hand (looks didn't hurt either)
There is not a lot of difference in how they shoot in my opinion; The Sig may have been a little more "flippy" than the HK.
The HK was not the LEM either. That adds a whole new variable for which YOU will decide which feels better.

From what I've seen and read, both are ultra-reliable and extremely well made firearms.
For CCW both full sizes are pretty big. At least look at the Sig carry and compact if you can find one.
I am actually hoping to get a 220 compact in the next year or so.

Good luck
dbd

BanditSRT8

Here's my .02 cents....

I too was seduced by the attractive finish on the Equinox. To the point I called every dealer I could so that I could see one up close. But once I did I realized something... it's "just another Sig with a fancy finish" and that's that.

Now is "being a Sig" a bad thing? No. Sig's are wonderfully reliable, accurate, and easy to maintain. No complaints about it functionality-wise... but I'll get to the rest in a moment.

Now on to the HK. If I were you, I would SERIOUSLY consider looking into the next generation of HK, the P30 instead of the old USP. The USP is nice, but the P30 (along with the new HK45) are upgraded USP's for all practical purposes, and the grip is absolutely one of the most comfortable in the industry. Plus, it is fully adjustable to YOUR hand. The accuracy is downright astonishing, and in every way a "perfect" all-around 9mm. Great for lefties too if you have that need. Also terrific trigger on these.

dsc9082copysb8.jpg

The problems I have with Sig are:

1) HEAVY. In comparison to the HK, night and day

2) Smooth, but terrible triggers. LONG DA pull, and hard to detect where it will break.

3) The grip is SOOO thick, especially when they slap on the fancy Hogue wood grips (like on the Equinox) I have a hard time wrapping my average sized paws around them comfortably

4) HEAVY. Did I mention they are heavy?

5) Bore axis way too high causing more muzzle flip than most other like-pistols.

worldishis

dbl bbl daryl: You're right I do need to go and hold both of them to see which one feels the best in my hands. Ideally I would like to: A) Hold both, see how they feel. B) Holster them both, see how they would feel concealed C) Take them both to the range, see how they both shoot.

BanditSRT8: I didnt even know aboiut the P30 at all. Now thats a good looking H&K. H&K is such a strange company, they dont even have all the guns they make and sell on their website. ***? I like the modular handgun designs with their adjustable this and that, very customizable. Thats the first mod design Ive seen with two adjustable parts on the grip.

Heres the thing though, its a 9mm. Do you know of a .45 with this kind of design? I already have a custom CZ-75 SP01 in 9mm that I looove, but Im looking to carry a .45.

ChicagoTex

The USP is nice, but the P30 (along with the new HK45) are upgraded USP's for all practical purposes

The USP does have one thing the P30, HK45, and even P2000 series don't have, cocked and locked carryability.

vox rationis

Now on to the HK. If I were you, I would SERIOUSLY consider looking into the next generation of HK, the P30 instead of the old USP. The USP is nice, but the P30 (along with the new HK45) are upgraded USP's for all practical purposes, and the grip is absolutely one of the most comfortable in the industry. Plus, it is fully adjustable to YOUR hand. The accuracy is downright astonishing, and in every way a "perfect" all-around 9mm. Great for lefties too if you have that need. Also terrific trigger on these.

I like my USP and USPc, but based on my handling the P30 and HK45 I totally agree with the above.

The USP does have one thing the P30, HK45, and even P2000 series don't have, cocked and locked carryability.

But this is an important point. I CCW my USPc and I carry it cocked and locked. Of course you can also do this with the HK45 compact or otherwise.

HK123

BanditSRT8: I didnt even know aboiut the P30 at all. Now thats a good looking H&K. H&K is such a strange company, they dont even have all the guns they make and sell on their website. ***? I like the modular handgun designs with their adjustable this and that, very customizable. Thats the first mod design Ive seen with two adjustable parts on the grip.

They have everything on their website...if you even looked at it at all.

EastSideRich

worldishis:

BanditSRT8 is right (about the P30).
I must admit, there is something about Sigs I just love; but the P30 is probably the most comfortable gun I have ever handled - by far.
If you are set on getting a .45, the HK45 and 45c have very similar ergonomics to the P30, both also feel very nice but are a bit chunkier.
I would definitely pick either of these over the USP in a heartbeat.
These also feel completely different in the hand than a Sig.
Find one of these pistols - I can almost guarantee you will love them.
I haven't shot either the P30 or HK45/45c but am dying to.

If it were me, I wouldn't be too concerned about the cocked and locked feature on the USP; I would much rather just carry with one in the pipe and the hammer down. A double action first pull without a safety to disengage it better (for me) than having a SA first shot, but having to flip a safety off first.

BanditSRT8

Heres the thing though, its a 9mm. Do you know of a .45 with this kind of design? I already have a custom CZ-75 SP01 in 9mm that I looove, but Im looking to carry a .45.

Yes, the P30 is still pretty new, but it is in fact up on HKs webpage.

The HK45 is the full sized .45 version of the P30 but instead of a slide mounted decocker, it has a manual thumb safety, and can be carried cocked and locked.

If you want the SIZE of the P30, then look for the HK45C (compact), but they are kind of tough to find right now.

As I always say about the P30 and HK45... hold one and you'll love it, shoot one and you'll never let it go.

Wrong. The HK45 and HK45 Compact can both be carried cocked-n-locked.

worldishis

Thanks for the responses guy, I really appreciate your feedback. With all the talk of the 45c, I have GOT to go to the toy store and handle it. So I think its decided assuming I like the ergos on it. We shall see!

HK123: Why on earth would someone lie about looking at a website?! I simply overlooked it because I wasnt looking for a 9mm, my eyes clean passed it up and found all the 45's. BTW you're wrong (gasp!), they dont have everything on there website. Unless you can find the elite and match somewhere on there;)

ChicagoTex

Unless you can find the elite and match somewhere on there

Not to exacerbate the argument but to the best of my knowledge the Elite and Match are no longer be sold in the U.S. (and I think the match may be out production entirely).

IGO1320

HK's

Bear in mind when shopping for HK's there are many trigger varients that are available. P2000/P2000SK's you find on the shelf are generally of the V-2 (LEM) or V-3 SA/DA examples but you can convert to V-1 for $9 and shipping for the two springs required. Now I am the first to admit LEM is not for everyone, but if it is your cup of tea you can either buy an HK45 and send it to Alabama and have it converted or my local HK direct gun shop says they can order one direct in LEM otherwise it is SA/DA only for the HK45. "Clear as mud" right? Happy gun hunting.

Vin496

When I got my P2000 .40 in LEM, it took a few range sessions to adjust to it. I kept shooting low and jerky. Once I got used to it and practiced with it, I love the LEM trigger.