Opinions wanted from Kahr PM 9/40 owners

nate45

I've been thinking of getting a PM9 or PM40 and wanted
to know how they had preformed and your overall impression and opinion of the pistol.

I've shot the PM9 quite a bit and I have to say, I am quite impressed....very little felt recoil for such a small 9....feels even less than a PPK...and pretty accurate....I tired Seecamps and other tiny autos and I can't hit anything with them....the PM9 is the smallest auto I would consider toting....and I would feel well armed with it....never tried the .40 but I never cared for that caliber...recoil in other guns felt too snappy for me...

fairview mick

Kahr pm-9

I had a Kahr PM-9 for about two months and sold it. I though the trigger was atrocious, just the overall quality of the gun was not what I expected for the money that was paid for the gun.
MIckey

sholling

See my thread... It pretty well covers my brief experience. Now that Kahr has finally gotten it working properly I'm pretty happy (so far) with my PM40 - for what it is. A very, very concealable manstopper.

It is not a target pistol, and it's not a fun 'shootin iron' because of the seriously healthy recoil but I'd rather stake my life on a 40 than a 9mm. No disrespect to 9mm shooters it's just my own personal preference. The trigger is better than most if not all DAO pistols that I've shot and I'm a SA kinda guy. I'm a very experienced shooter and I find the PM40 to be, for me, at the limit of what I would consider controllable when firing SD ammo. I'm told that the PM9 is a whole lot more fun to shoot and much easier to double tap because of the milder recoil. Unless you're very experienced and willing to deal with recoil during practice I'd be inclined to recommend staying with the 9mm and practicing double taps.

'75Scout

I owned a Kahr PM40 for several months. Half of which were spent back at their factory. I was very disapointed with the gun. 20% FTF rate, mag followers routinely broke, polymer shavings from the frame. Overall just not a gun worth spending the money on. I currently have a Kahr K40 Covert and though I am trying to sell it currently it is not a bad gun. I have had no real problems and the MK9 would probably be my top choice from the company. The K40 Covert is decently accurate, is built like a tank and has been 100% reliable. However I prefer Sigs and I find a Sig 220 Compact will suite my needs better as it will compliment the Sig 220 I already own.

Lou22

After the 200-round break-in my PM9 has been 100% reliable and the most accurate DAO gun I've ever shot. I've run +P+ rounds through it, where it is still accurate, and the recoil is not excessive or painful at all. Great, great concealed carry gun. Amazing for such a small, light weapon.

Lou

Muddflap

My PM9 has about 450 rounds now. All of them have been perfect.

DSCN1140.jpg

DHart

My PM-9 has been perfectly reliable and a great shooter... about the best VERY small, hold-out gun when you just can't carry anything any bigger.

mini14jac

I had a real love affair with my PM9, but the barrel started peening around 2000 rounds.

If a few owners can get their new guns to 4000+ rounds with no peening, I'd love to get another.

Soft shooter, accurate, awesome trigger, and small enough to carry in your pocket. :)

Breakdaddy

Over 800 trouble free rounds so far through my PM9, including the break in period. Not 1 FTE/FTF or problem of any kind. It's pleasant to shoot for such a small pistol. My dad was so impressed with mine that he went out and bought a PM9 of his own. Last I checked, he is well past the break in period of 200 rounds with zero problems.

RPSmith

I do not own a PM40 but I have shot plenty rounds through the thing. It is a hell of a self-defense tool and would definately carry one - HOWEVER it is absolutely NO FUN to shoot more than a clip or two.

The manual suggests 200 rounds to break the piece in - my friend and I were passing it off to every stranger who passed through the range doors! LOL

It is reliable as hell and amazingly accurate for such a small piece. I would feel completely confident having it for my CCW piece but I would plan my "getting used to you" phase out over 3-4 months:rolleyes:

DHart

I think the polymer framed PM-9 is fine in that caliber (9mm). But for forty, I would strongly suggest going with the steel framed MK40 or better yet, the slightly larger K-40!

nate45

I think the polymer framed PM-9 is fine in that caliber (9mm). But for forty, I would strongly suggest going with the steel framed MK40 or better yet, the slightly larger K-40!

I had wondered that about the .40 myself.

In the PM a 9mm + should be good.

Jiml3

I agree with what D Hart had to say. I own the PM9 and it has been 100% reliable and a great gun for concealed carry when wearing light apparel. I especially like the fact that all you have to do is point and shoot it!! No safeties to release or anything to think about.

Jiml3

nate45

Just got back from the range

Well I got a new PM9 today it has the matte stainless slide and unfortunately no night sights but I got a good deal.

It is one sweet shooting little pistol.

I only got 75 rounds through it before dark but 0 malfunctions and good accuracy.

I really like it alot I can tell it's going to be one of my favorite pistols.

Thanks for all the input fellow PM9 owners it is all you said it was and then some.

DHart

Nate... congratulations on your new PM9! As you know by now, there isn't another gun around in the size/weight/caliber/quality league of the PM9. I don't consider it a heavy use range gun (better for light to moderate shooting) or a regular carry gun (I like bigger caliber/higher capacity guns for general carry) but when you need something super small and very light, that still packs a good, reliable punch, the PM9 is the cat's meow! Enjoy that nice little blaster of yours. :)

gbran

PM9, upper right, just below the somewhat larger Glock G26. I've had some feed problems with the 7 rnd mag, but it has run flawlessly with the 6 rnd mags. Good trigger, accurate beyond belief, very light and a true pocket gun.

handgunast.jpg