Opinions sought on pre-agreement S&W 65-6 (lady smith)

PJ11B3VF7

I have the opportunity to buy one in .357 with a three inch barrel for $350.00. It's NIB, the dealer has just had it for so long that he wants to get rid of it. What do you guys think?

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
For a NIB M65, not a bad price. For a used one, it's a bit over the mark.

Has the 2IC taken a look at it? If she's willing to shoot it, your in good shape.

Giz

PJ11B3VF7

Gizmo99, Nope, she hasn't. Then again if she doesn't like it, that adds one more to my humble collection. I forgot to add that according to the gun guru behind the counter this was a custom shop gun because of the "Pretty" wood/something grips on it. Which unfortunately for me don't really fit me that well.

I have a 66 that I love, but it's going out of timing and I really don't know much about wheel guns so if you could expand on pro's and con's it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

VictorLouis

That sounds like a pretty nice deal, to me. Particularly if it has the hard-chromed hammer and trigger, with the smoother action. If they are color case-hardened, that would indicate the newer, MIM parts, though it's still a good price.

It is a K-frame, like your M66, with a 3" barrel and fixed sights. I think that the Performance Center is supposed to have massaged the action on these for a lighter, smoother pull, considering their intended users.:) Heck, if your ego can stand the engraving on the barrel, a nicer trigger is nice to have.:D

Just curious, do you know why your 66 is having timing issues?

M16

That's not a bad price. I could be wrong but all Performance Center guns have their seal stamped on the left side of the frame.

PJ11B3VF7

Thanks for the replies

VictorLewis, it's a 66-2 that I bought used. I have no idea of the number or type of rounds through it, but I've put about 1K full power loads through it and dry fire it constantly so I'm guessing that may be a contributing factor.

I think I'll pass on this deal. The 2IC will have to be content with the Garand I bought her. As for me, I think I want a 686 with either a 4 or 6 inch barrel.

Thanks again for the opinions.