Opinions sought: NAA Guardian .380ACP

Brian Busch

I am looking for a pocket pistol for carry during summer months, and I've narrowed the choices down to two pistols, the Colt Mustang Pocketlite and the NAA Guardian 380.

I'm looking for opinions on the NAA guardian from those who have shot it, own it or sell it. Are they reliable? Do they "bite"? Whats the trigger like?

Thanks-
Brian

Brian Busch

Thanks Rovert, I looked at the Kahr but I really thought it was a little bigger than what I want, and I didn't like the trigger at all. Appreciate the input though.

Rovert

Surprised you didn't like the trigger on the Kahr. Most people think it's great. I hear 'ya on the size, though. I almost went for the Guardian myself. I might still get one for ULTRA light duty, like when running, but for now, the MK9 covers me for those potential "close encounters of the third kind".

Although I never shot one myself, I heard that the Guardian 380 was a hard shooter by someone at my range that owns one. Then again, if you should ever have to use it, who cares? :eek: BTW, when you get a close look at one, take a look at who makes the frame for the Guardian. ;)

Good luck!

GeorgeH

Brian:

I evolved into pocket guns. My first was a used Seecamp 25. That was followed by a used Seecamp 32. I also bought a new (post CNC) Seecamp 32. But I carry the NAA Guardian 380.

I call these guns my "always" gun because one of them is always with me, regardless of whatever else I carry.

My Guardian was a "beta" early bird version (SN 51). I had it dehorned and had Gutter Snipe sights installed. This was done by NAA. When they install the Gutter Snipe sights they swap slides to speed up the turn around time. What I did was buy back my original slide and had it melted down as well, but sans any sights, a la Seecamp.

The only negative of the Guardian 380 is its weight. It is an all steel gun. Recoil, well recoil is always a problem with pocket guns. Compared with the Seecamp, recoil is mild but it is different then full size guns. A pocket gun will seem to corkscrew in your hand. That is what make the recoil of a pocket gun uncomfortable.

As to bite...the Seecamp bites. The Guardian gnaws. Trigger pull is about 10-12 lbs. But it's still light years better than the PPK.

There is no ejector in a Guardian. The next round acts as the ejector. That means a last round stovepipe. But you clear the stovepipe automatically during a reload.

Overall I love my Guardian. I carry it in a Ron Graham rear pocket holster. After about 1000 rounds, I have not yet experienced a single hiccup. Its easy to field strip and clean. It was designed to digest all available ammo (unlike the Seecamp which was designed around Silvertip). And its customer service is world class.

The only negative is its weight. I got spoiled with the Seecamp, but I know that when I pull the trigger my Guardian will go bang.

Brian Busch

Thanks George! Thats what I was looking for.

Anyone know the weight difference between a Mustang and a Guardian? The Guardian weighs 18.72 (less when I'm done with it), but I've no idea what the Pocketlite weighs since they have been discontinued.

22lovr

Not-so-humble opinion from die hard pocket carerier

I've toted a load of small pistols: 3 NAA mini-revolvers (1 22LR, 2 22MAG) a Beretta .22 model 21, Taurus Mod 85 .38 spcl Ultralite, KelTec P11, and the KelTec P32 (my all-time favorite) For size and weight, the P32 cannot be touched by any other pocket pistol and supremely reliable after almost 700 rounds.

I'd feel a little more secure carrying a service round: 9mm, .38 spcl, or .40 cal, so I'm seriously looking at the brand-new offering from Kahr. This the MK9 on a diet and weighs in at a scant 14 oz!

I'm fussy and spoiled in that whatever I'm carrying HAS to be light, small, and effective. The KelTec is light and small but somewhat anemic for a self-defense round. My Taurus weighs in at 17 oz fully-loaded but is still somewhat bulky for me. I'd like to consider a S&W 342PD but, good grief, it's practically the same size as my Taurus!

Enter the Kahr PM9! Now, this is a really intriguing little platform; something I'm going to give serious consideration to when they ship this May and hopefully, the polymer frame teething problems will be a thing of the past. Personally, it has the smoothest, sweetest DA trigger of any semi-auto I've ever handled.

I think Kahr is going to be hard-pressed to keep up with the demand for this type of pistol. Check them out at khar.com

PS-I also carry ALL of my guns in Uncle Mike's soft flexible pocket holsters. Why? Again, going back to my original criteria....they are extremely light, very small and inexpensive. When one wears out or loses it's shape I just re-order at their excellent website.

Thanks for letting me share.

Watch-Six

Brian, my story is the same as George's. I had Novak night sights put on my Guardian 380 and I carry it constantly. I had a KelTec P32 that was certainly lighter, but it was not as powerful and not as reliable as my Guardian. Others have had flawless P32s, mine was a little touchy. The Colt pocketlite is no doubt lighter, if you can find one. I briefly owned a pocketlite Mustang that would not run right. Others have had good luck with them. I could bore you with my experiences with dozens of small pistols, but bottom line: the Guardian 380 works for me. Watch-Six

johnwill

Anyone know the weight difference between a Mustang and a Guardian?

The Mustang Pocketlite weighs 12.5oz without a magazine. With a full mag and one in the pipe, it weights exactly 16oz, at least mine does. The big benefit of the Mustang is it's worlds nicer to shoot! Recoil is very mild, due to the locked breech design, and it's a very accurate little gun. I sent mine off to SM&A for their Pocket Carry Package, and it's still my favorite carry gun. Fits great in my RYBKA pocket holster too. :)

Colt%20Mustang%20Pocketlite.jpg

Brian Busch

Very nice johnwill!

Thanks you for your input watchsix, it looks like I'm going to have to buy both and see which one I like the best. Right now due to the weight and the trgger possibilities I'm leaning towards the Mustang, but I'm sure it will need a trip to the 'smith before it really shines.