Opinions please: used Sig P245

bald1

In the general handgun forum I'd been discussing trigger finger reach issues, specifically with regard to Sig semi-autos. Turns out the P220 will work for me although installation of a short trigger and thin grip panels will be necessary to optimize things.

This after handling a P220 Combat. As an aside the only other 45acp Sig that will fit my hand/trigger finger is the P250 which would also need to be tweaked.

My interests were with the P220 Carry pistols and their 8x capacity. The dealer did have a used German made P245 which looked to have been carried more than shot. The internals looked great but the external finish showed evidence of kydex holster wear. The P245 is a 6x pistol which is less than I would like; still... The staff called Sig for me and were told that they thought a short trigger could be installed in this older piece ($75 round trip for the part and installation). The serial number was C005xxx and came with two magazines for $499.

Question: Is a German made P245in the condition described a decent deal for $499 + sales tax? Anyone have experience with a short trigger in this model?

Thanks!

--Bob

benzuncle

Is a German made P245in the condition described a decent deal for $499 + sales tax? Anyone have experience with a short trigger in this model?

German made Sigs are spoken highly of; so are used Sigs. My first Sig Sauer was a P220 Compact; I still own it and love it. It is a newer version of the P245; they use the same mags. I had both at my disposal and chose the Compact only because I wanted the beavertail. If Sig can install a short trigger for you, I think you will be very impressed with the performance of the firearm. Don't let the exterior dissuade you. One of the very best Sigs I ever fired was an older P229 chambered in 357Sig. It had rust on the all the levers but the trigger and all the corners were worn shiney. But man oh man did that thing shoot great. Shot so well that I ended up acquiring a used Sig in that caliber. It was someone's friend for sure. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what transpires.

bald1

Thanks Benzuncle for the words of encouragement. I've also now seen where I can use 8x P220 mags if fitted with Ajax X-grip extenders. Interesting.....

Still wondering about the price here.....

The 245 is no longer produced.... It was not popular but has seemed to gain a second life with the recent introduction of the carry sized P220s.

It is a solid gun... there were problems with feeding IIFC but nothing major. I believe that with the manual box etc... in VG condition $500 is fair.

I personally like short triggers on all my Sigs except the P220.. I do not find it necessary because it is a single stack... that said nothing wrong with a short trigger but it will take getting used to...

It can effect the accuracy of your SA shots because it is too short.....

AK103K

I have a P245 thats in the 10000 range. I picked it up used about 5 years ago in VG-Excellent for $550.

The previous owner had had it converted to DAO, which came with a shorter, thinner trigger than the standard triggers you usually see. It wasnt a DAK trigger, but it was a very nice DAO trigger. The original parts were also with the gun, and I swapped them back, as I prefer the standard DA SIG's. It keeps things simple.

For some reason, and no idea why, I shoot my P245 better than I do my standard P220''s.

You can use the standard 7 and 8 round P220 mags in the P245, and they dont need any adapter, unless you want one. I always kept a 6 rounder in the gun and just used my P220 reloads for the reload. You can also use you P220 (P226) holsters for the P245.

If you do pick it up, you should check out Top Gun Supply. (www.topgunsuply.com)

They have an armorers CD that will walk you through a tear down and reassembly of the P series SIG's. Its very well done and very easy to follow, and worth more than the $20 some bucks they get for it. The teardown is easy to do, and only requires basic tools. Top Gun also has pretty much any SIG part you might need, including the short triggers. They are great people to deal with too.

bald1

Teifmen1948, AK104K, and Creature:

Thanks Gents! Much food for thought! I'm not adverse to doing the trigger myself either as I 'smith my 1911s & BHPs now as it is. I should be able to learn to do the basics on a P245 :)

JMB_handguns_sm.jpg

--Bob

chris in va

They're spoken of very highly on the Sig forum. I wouldn't mind having one myself, having owned an older 220 for a while. Very reliable.

oldandslow

bald, 3/12/09

I tracked Sig p-245 prices for a couple of years before buying one about a year and a half ago. The selling prices were usually in the high-$400 to mid-$500 range. With the recent buying frenzy since the last election the 245's and many other pistols are hard to find and expensive. Gunbroker only has one for sale now, same for Auctionarms. So is $499 a good price? Yes, if the pistol is in decent working condition.

I have two of the six round mags with the 220-compact baseplates which gives your pinky-finger a better place to rest. I also have the 220 mags with the grip extender which makes the grip similar to the full size 220 and gives you an 8 round mag capacity.

Overall- the Sig 245 gives you a light, reliable, compact and accurate carry package with 6+1 of .45 ammo. I carry mine IWB with a Highnoon holster. It's a great pistol and I doubt you will be disappointed.

best wishes- oldandslow

bald1

Creature,

Thanks for the comment. I needed help with the sights on the Colt 1911 and with the melt down on the (dare I say?) Brolin P45C/P45T we heavily "improved." (Turned out to be one heck of an accurate and reliable shooter and a solid CCW piece as is the "Detective" 9mm.) Everything else in and out I did. I especially had fun hand stippling the 3 pieces that reflect that treatment. The two full size 5" 1911s also have 400 Cor-Bon barrels fitted, a cartridge I've grown to really like (no issues with the bottle neck design either). The BHP was built from scratch using hand picked parts including the forged frame from the bins at Jack First :)

oldandslow,

I really appreciate the sanity check provided on pricing. That and your comments about the 8x P220 magazines.

Colt1911Forever,

I missed your comment here earlier
It can effect the accuracy of your SA shots because it is too short.....
and am now wondering if I understand you correctly. The P245 as stock when properly gripped places just the very tip of my finger on the trigger. Without that extra 1/8" reach that a short trigger would provide, it would be a non-starter for effective control and engagement. Could you elaborate please?

--Bob

Last edited:

bald1

Just found this too while I hope for clarification on the SA accuracy business with a short trigger:

November 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM #14
DirtDawg

Subj: 2 kinds of short triggers

FWIW I've installed short triggers on my 220/229/239's. BIG difference in handling.

There are 2 types of short triggers floating out there-I bought a set from a vendor that claimed it fit 245/220 AND 229/226. The narrower trigger fit the old 245 and older 220. The newer one would not fit a 245. The vendor claimed its the same-its not.

This opens up another issue regarding the availability of "old" style short triggers..... argh :(

Bald1,

That is not what I am referring to.

The short trigger feels good in the hand when you first pick up the gun. It has to do with With a short triggers release point which is too far back in the stroke. Most people do not enough remaining strength to finesse their way through to an accurate shot. To finish off the stroke they end up jerking the shot.

As a result of the reset and trigger release point is further back you loose trigger control. Loss of trigger control equals loss in accuracy. This is especially true when you are firing strings of shots not just slow firing at the range.

In the end they are very easy to install and remove so if you want to put one in test it out you can. If the gun already has on in there then try it out. If you like it keep it.

Creature

This never affected me when shooting my short trigger Sigs. My accuracy was not affected one bit in either SA or DA.

Creature

Is that a trick question? If the OP has smaller hands/fingers and wants or needs a shorter trigger,...then no, he should have none.

No my point is that simply because you do not see a change in accuracy that does not mean others will not. My point was that unless the individual is using your hands his mileage will vary.....

As I stated it effects some people not others. Again do the research talk to guys who shoot and train hundreds of Sig shooters. Guys like Bruce Gray.... If you have very good trigger control and know the exact reset of your Sig it is my humble opinion that a short trigger has more down side then upside.

I have used them in the past but not anymore and I have smaller hands. The only time I recommend a short trigger to people is when they cannot reach the DA pull but that is only if they have to use a Sig. To me the better choice is to choose a gun that actually fits your hands.

Creature

Oooookay. Based on my observations and experience, I can state as fact that the short trigger has had no detrimental effect on my accuaracy with either of the guns I have had the short trigger installed. And I dont need a Sig trainer or Bruce Gray to tell me whether I am shooting accurately or not. Its not like I dont know how to shoot a handgun either...I shoot for the Navy competitively and have the trophies to prove it.

But based on your statement, bald1 may or may not experience problems with accuaracy. See what I'm gettin' at?

Last edited: