Opinions please - should I join the National Guard?

Futo Inu

A posted a similar thread some months back, but now I'm considering this more seriously. A friend of mine says he really thinks I oughtta join (well he thinks reserves), becuase of the money/benefits, because he knows I'd enjoy playing war games, shooting guns, etc., and I'd go in as a captain (since college - and graduate - degree).

Well, so now I'm really considering it. Sounds good - I'd be able to serve my country some, as I've always wanted. I know there's lots of military folks here at TFL, so need opinions. The MAIN thing is, Will I or will I not have to be gone for an extended period of time for required training? I have no problem in theory with basic training - I'd probably love it. But I would lose my small business if I was away for an extended period, and this is out of the question right now. The two weeks a year training I could just *barely* handle, by having my secretary hold down the office fort, and have my mom take care of my dogs, etc., but 6-8 or more weeks away would be impossible. I hear that 34 is the last age to go in, and I just turned 33, so I'd better decide soon. Some income, benefits, etc., sound good, as well as the fraternity of mil men and chance to serve country, but I dunno. What other major down sides, and is it possible to avoid extended training going in as officer, or do the initial training over time, like every weeked for a few months? Should I just talk to a recruiter, or will they just blow smoke? Thanks.

Veloce851

I'm 28 and have considered the National Guard as well.
If you are serious about it but are concerned about some of the time requirements. I think perhaps talking to a recruiter to ask some of these time commitment Q's could be of some help.
As far as asking them if you should enter.. that would be a waste of time since of course they are going to encourage you to enter.

I think prayer is the most valuable source of guidance. IMHO
Good luck in your decision.

scottb81

You may be gone a lot

I retired from the Army a year ago so I highly recommend your joining. However, to answer your question about being gone, you could potentially be away from home a lot. With the situation in the world as it now is, I would not be surprised to see National Guard units mobilized and deployed. During the last Gulf War some National Guard units were deployed for more than six months. Likewise, National Guard units have been deployed to Bosnia for extended periods. The bottom line is that if you join to serve your country, don't be surprised if you really have to do it.

Brad
US Army (RET)

Leatherneck

Futo,
Atta boy for wanting to serve. I don't think you could be certain of the Guard's support for your small business. For instance, when I walk out of the Pentagon tonight, there will be the same six guard MPs that were there this morning at six. Their ubit just rotated in replacing the original ones that were here since 9/11/01. Between post-9/11 security, natural disasters, and potential duty overseas (not counting any callup by the Governor), you'd have to be prepared for the possibility of extended duty away from home. Don't mean to be a wet blanket, but the last thing they need in the Guard is a good soldier who can't keep his mind off problems at home. Good on 'ya for wanting to, though.;)

Greg L

First off thanks for wanting to serve.

If you do go in as a captain though, don't expect a whole lot of time out playing in the mud with the troops (most of the "fun" time as an officer seems to be as a lt). More than likely you will be stuck in a staff slot in a headquarters unit. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you won't be out leading the soldiers (those jobs will go to the people who came up as platoon leaders and xo's. As far as I know they don't give platoon leaders slots to captains (no matter how inexperienced they are)).

Greg

MeekAndMild

College? Business skills? A person should always think Air National Guard if they have have a penchant for adventure. Ain't nothing more fun than flying fast and low to the ground. Ain't no mud, lice and snakes in the sky neither. ;)

Then at least you'd be having fun after you sell your business to go to OCS, to flight school, to advanced training school then sit on station in EastBumf*** for two years remote duty. :D

K80Geoff

Since when did the Guard take in inexperienced people at the rank of Captain?

Do you perhaps have prior service as an Officer?

More than likely if you are not an MD or Nurse or Attorney you will have to attend OCS and start out as a 2LT. To go to OCS you will have to do Basic and AIT first. Expect to spend a lot of time in training.

2LT in Infantry or a related unit is the best job in the Military :p

I would hate to think of what our military has become if they pull guys off the street and make them Captains, which is the grade usually reserved for Company Commanders.

Forget about playing with the toys as a Captain, even in an Infantry unit. Most likely you will be a staff officer and may get to plink with the Beretta once a year. You will spend most of your time commanding an LSD (Large Steel Desk).

Expect to be away from home and job for long periods. If you are Self Employed fuggeddaboutit. :(

MY $.02

Larry Wright

I don't know of any unit (Guard or Reserve) that will give anyone a direct commission to Captain right off the street. You can count on being away for basic and Advanced Individual Training for at least 6 months unless you get a split option and that's usually for kids in High school or college. The operational tempo (OPTEMPO) for all units, active and reserve, is really high now (has been really since 95) meaning there's a good chance you'll deploy somewhere in the US or overseas during your enlistment. I recommend you look at some of the local guard and reserve units and give them a visit some weekend or talk to some of the guys and gals that you know and get their feed on the "No Bulls**t" of that particular unit. Reserve Component units, National Guard and Army Reserve, have distinct personalities. Applause for your wanting to serve but make sure you're sure of what you want and what you will get. Good luck either way.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Futo is an attorney.

Big Dog, if you go in at O-3/Captain, you'll be in the JAG Corp. IIRC, there is a training peroid of some sort, used to be at Ft. Lee, unsure now. May be a couple of weeks, perhaps more. Very little move, shoot, communicate in the JAG Corps. Mostly standard legal stuff, wills, powers of attorney, some small amount of criminal work. The Reserves and especially the NG hate UCMJ action. They are much more willing to compromise discipline than go through the hassle of actually court marshaling a member.

Best move is to contact some JAG officers and see what the requirements are - my info is dated.

Send me a PM or an email if you want me to get you in touch with a JAG Detachment. I've worked with several attorneys who had reserve comissions and ran a sole practioner practice. Most were in firms however.

Lancel

Joined Army at 32, stayed for 21 years. On various deployments came across NG personnel.

Most were as happy as the rest of us to be doing what we were doing.

But regardless if you're part time or full time, if you can't afford to be away from your civilian life for at least 6 months, don't sign up. The day will come.

Jeff White

Futo,

As a JAG officer you will probably end up on a Brigade or higher staff somewhere. The only getting dirty and playing in the mud you'll get to do will be a very brief orientation in your Officer Basic Course. I'm on leave this week, but when I go back to work, I'll check on ATRRS and see if they are offering a Reserve Component OBC for JAG. They did away with them in all the other career fields back in the 80s, but I think some RC courses still exist for Doctors, Nurses, Lawyers etc.

Send me a PM or e-mail if you need more info.

Jeff

Quartus

I echo the thanks for wanting too, but I agree that the time away is likely to be too much. And you'll honestly get more play time with fun toys as a civilian attorney with a good range nearby.

You are probably thinking that there will come a time when you will wish you had served. But you alone can weigh that against the cost to you right now.

Whatever you do, PLEASE, PLEASE remember one thing:

Recruiters lie.

You are an attorney. You know who wins when an "Well HE told me...!" "No I didn't!" goes up against a signed contract.

One more thing: Reserves are more casual than active duty units, and NG even more so. (In general - as was said, each unit has its flavor.) So if you are looking for a hard corp military experience, you are probably looking in the wrong place.

'Course, if you want that and want to avoid JAG, sign up for Special Forces. Then you WILL be away from home a lot!

BADSBSNF81

Most leadership triads would love to be able to do UCMJ the same way the AC folks do. Why don't they? Very simple, lack of MONEY. Other than drug boards and urianalysis testing, the budget doesn't specifically allocate funds for doing ART 15's and Courts Martial.

butchb243

It is good to serve your country.
It is good to have your own business .
I have done both & i'm danmed proude of it but the 2 don't mix well at all ( oil & water).
A callup is possible at any time & they just WILL NOT take no for an answer.
Make your choice Have a business, or serve your country , or both but not at the same time.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
If you want to "go for the gusto" by all means, I think it
would be a great thing to do. I would seek an elite unit
to join, such as a Special Forces organization.:cool: :D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Larry Wright

Futo Inu, here's the poop from the JAG website. Good luck. Larry

U.S. ARMY RESERVE COMPONENTS JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL'S CORPS
FACT SHEET

Judge Advocates have provided professional legal service to the Army for over 200 years. Since that time the Corps has grown dramatically to meet the Army's increased need for legal expertise. Today, approximately 1500 attorneys serve on active duty while more than 2,800 Judge Advocates find rewarding part-time careers as members of the U.S. Army Reserve and Army National Guard. Service as a Reserve Component Judge Advocate is available to all qualified attorneys. Those who are selected have the opportunity to practice in areas as diverse as the field of law itself. For example, JAGC officers prosecute, defend, and judge courts-martial, negotiate and review government contracts, act as counsel at administrative hearings, and provide legal advice in such specialized areas as international, regulatory, labor, patent, and tax law, while effectively maintaining their civilian careers.

APPOINTMENT ELIGIBILITY AND GRADE - In general, applicants must meet the following qualifications:

(1) Be at least 21 years old and able to complete 20 years of creditable service prior to reaching age 60. In addition, for appointment as a first lieutenant, be less than 33, and for appointment to captain, be less than 39 (waivers for those exceeding age limitations are available in exceptional cases).

(2) Be a graduate of an ABA-approved law school.

(3) Be a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of a state or federal court.

(4) Be of good moral character and possess leadership qualities.

(5) Be physically fit.

Grade of rank at the time of appointment is determined by the number of years of constructive service credit to which an individual is entitled. As a general rule, an approved applicant receives three years credit from graduation from law school plus any prior active or reserve commissioned service. Any time period is counted only once (i.e., three years of commissioned service while attending law school entitles a person to only three years constructive service credit, not six years). Once the total credit is calculated, the entry grade is awarded as follows:

3 or more but less than 7 years First Lieutenant
7 or more but less than 14 years Captain
14 or more but less than 21 years Major

PAY AND BENEFITS - Basic pay varies depending on grade, length of service, and degree of participation. Reserve officers are eligible for numerous federal benefits including full-time Servicemen's Group Life Insurance; limited access to post exchanges, commissaries, theaters and available transient billets; space-available travel on military aircraft within the continental United States, if on reserve duty; authorized survivor benefits; and generous retirement benefits. When performing active duty or active duty for training, reservists may use military recreation, entertainment and other post facilities, and receive limited medical and dental care.

PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS - The JAGC Reserve Program is multifaceted, with the degree of participation determined largely by the individual. Officers are originally assigned to a Troop Program Unit (TPU). Follow on assignments may include service as an Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA). TPU officers attend monthly drills and perform two weeks of annual training a year. Upon mobilization, they deploy with their unit and provide legal services commensurate with their duty positions.

IMA officers are assigned to active duty agencies or installations where they perform two weeks of on-the-job training each year. During the remainder of the year, they do legal assistance, take correspondence courses, or do project work at their own convenience in order to earn points towards retirement. Upon mobilization, these officers go to their assigned positions and augment the legal services provided by that office. Officers may also transfer from one unit to another or between units and IMA positions depending upon the availability of vacancies. This flexibility permits the Reserve Judge Advocate to tailor his or her participation to meet personal and professional needs. Newly appointed officers will usually serve in TPU assignments.

SCHOOLING - New officers are required to complete the Judge Advocate Officer's Basic Course within 12 months of commissioning as a condition of appointment. Once enrolled in the Basic Course, new officers must complete Phase I in 12 months. This course consists of two phases: Phase I is a three-week resident course in general military subjects at Fort Lee, Virginia. Phase II, military law, may be completed in residence at Charlottesville, Virginia or by correspondence. In addition to the basic course, various other legal and military courses are available to the reservist and may be taken either by correspondence or in residence at The Judge Advocate General's School in Charlottesville, Virginia.

SERVICE OBLIGATION - In general, new appointees incur a statutory service obligation of eight years. Individuals who have previous military service do not incur an additional obligation as a result of a new appointment.

RETIREMENT BENEFITS - Eligibility for retirement pay and other benefits is granted to members who have completed 20 years of qualifying federal military service. With a few exceptions, the extent of these benefits is the same for both the reservist and the service member who retires from active duty. The major difference in the two retirement programs is that the reservist does not begin receiving most of the retirement benefits, including pay, until reaching age 60. The amount of monthly retirement income depends upon the grade and total number of qualifying points earned during the course of the individual's career. Along with the pension, the retired reservist is entitled to shop in military exchanges and commissaries, use most post facilities, travel space-available on military aircraft worldwide, and utilize some medical facilities.

U.S. ARMY RESERVE COMPONENT INFORMATION - Further information, application forms, and instructions may be obtained by calling 1-866-ARMYJAG, or writing:

Judge Advocate Recruiting Office
1777 North Kent Street, Suite 5200
Rosslyn, VA 22209