Opinions please on my Remington L45AP7 JHP ammo

Raider2000

I have 2 .45's, a WWII issue M1911A1 which shoots great, & a Essex Framed 1991A1 which is also a super shooter, & ever since I've had my M1911A1 I've used 2 diffrent loadings of ammunition through it & ofcorse with the newer one as well.

For mostly range practice I use the:
Remington UMC L45AP4 230gr. Ball. Chronoed out to be 839FPS. AVG. "836-842"

For defence & occasional practice I use:
Remington UMC L45AP7 230gr. JHP. Chronoed out to be 838FPS. AVG. "834-842"

A friend of mine told me that this isn't a great deffence round being that it is a little dirty, unreliable hollow point, & that Remington's websight states "For practice, target shooting, training exercises."

Now I've been using this ammo for several years now & both weapons shoot it reliably & quite accurately "1911A1 = 2 inch group avg. @ 15 yards" but to be honest I've never tested the abilities of the Hollow Point to check it's performance, also since my M1911A1 is an older weapon I do not want to use +P ammo for possiblility of damage but am curious as to weather there is something else I should be using for this purpose.

Has any one used this ammo?
Do any one think it would be a good deffencive round? if not do anyone know of another JHP that would fit the bill better but not +P?

Thank You
Raider.

fairview mick

To Raider

I've read numorous reports of the Remington Golden Saber written by Masaad Ayoob. From what I know, I'll take his word on personal protection. He thinks the Remington Golden Saber .45 in the 185 grain is right on par with the Federal Hydra Shock. That's good enough for me. Ive shot almost 1,000 rounds through my Kimber Ultr CDP, my Grand Raptor and my Wilsosn Combat CQD. I've nere had a failure to fed or eject and they are not at all dirty. I do use Wilson mags in all my 1911's as they are reliable and smooth as silk. In some cases, the Wilson mag stops the scraping of the frame. The factory mag in the ultra took some scrapings.
Mickey