Opinions on which of these two is best snub carry load?

Doug S

I'm trying to decide on a carry load for my Ruger SP101 revolvers 2 1/4in and 3in barrels, and S&W Centennial. I want something optimized for short barrel revolvers, and it seems like the best choices are the Speer Short barreled revolver loads, and Hornady FTX Critical Defense. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these two, and if one or the other is considered the best performer especially in terms of reliable expansion in snub nosed revolvers.

Sharkbite

Actual expansion at the lower velocities given by short barrels is iffy at best. I have my 2" loaded with 158 SWCHP. The old FBI load. Good weight for penetration. Sharp shoulder and flat point for good crush cavity. Soft lead without a jacket to worry about so some expansion may happen

I think in a snub gun it the best we are going to do. Ammo makers all claim "their" wonder bullet makes the snub into a pocket rocket. Actual shooting data and experience shows otherwise

A snub CAN work but no ammo makes it better then what it is. A fairly hard to shoot and low velocity handgun.

WESHOOT2

modern bullets are amazing

The Speer choice is excellent; so is the Hornady.

(I load a Hornady 140g XTP-HP for wife's Airweight Bodyguard.)

Doug S

That's good to know. Right now the local hardware store is carrying the Hornady Critical Defense, so I can grab some of that easily, and shop around for some of the Speer ammo. Thanks for the response.

AKexpat

I'm still somewhat old-school.

My SP101 3" is loaded with .38 SPL +P Federal 129 gr Hydrashoks for HD.

There may be better loads but I've got quite a few left in inventory.

ckpj99

Don't forget Buffalo Bore. They have a variety of loads that are supposedly rather hot, but have "low" recoil.

KRP

My 442 is loaded with 158 gr SWCHP at +P. Mostly because they print right at the top of the front sight. YMMV

2damnold4this

I have used the Hornady Critical Defense in my snubby (S&W 642) for several years. It's accurate and the recoil was low but the only critter I've shot with it is a rattlesnake.

Jim March

There are two Speer 135gr "snubbie special" loads. One is a 38+P, the other is a "mellow 357". Both work, and both are controllable in the guns mentioned. Both use extremely similar projectiles. The 357 version is very, VERY mild by 357 standards, possibly one of the weakest 357 factory loads of all time outside of a few oddities not meant for personal defense use.

I think the 357 version is a jewel if you can find them. Basically stout 9mm power levels, huge hollowpoint with great expansion reliability, extremely controllable in an SP101 and not bad in anything of 17oz or more. Usable in the insanely light 12.5oz S&W Scandium 357, although recoil is still a bit nasty. In your guns it's perfect. It's also a really accurate load in most guns.

Doug S

Jim March, I definitely want to get some of the Speer 135gr snubby loads. That sounds like exactly the carry and practice load I'm looking for. Thanks for the response, and thanks everyone for the helpful info.

ClydeFrog

Top picks for .38spl snubs & J frames....

It's been about 10 years since I've owned any snub .357s or J frame .38spl revolvers.
In my view, some of the best .38spl +P carry-defense rounds include:
Corbon DPX(110gr), Winchester Ranger T/T Series, MagSafe SWAT, Glaser Safety Slug(silver), Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P JHP, Buffalo Bore 158gr +P lead SWC-HP, Hornady Critical Defense.

My friend got a new Ruger LCR .38spl +P in 2013. He uses Corbon DPX .38spl for home defense.

Clyde
www.sgammo.com www.shopcorbon.com www.natchezss.com www.brownells.com www.buffalobore.com www.midwayusa.com

Dragline45

With SP101's being fixed sight guns, load them up with whatever shoots good in them and call it a day. I don't tend to get caught up in the latest and greatest, as long it is a quality round from a quality manufacturer that is good enough for me.

SAWBONES

Shoot what hits to POA in your hands, in your guns.

I own both the 2.25" and 3" SP101s, as well as numerous J-frame revolvers, and I insist upon the bullet going exactly where I mean it to go.

With the SP101s, that's 158gr .357 Magnum.
With 1 7/8" S&Ws, it's typically 158gr+P LSWCHP, but not always.

ClydeFrog

Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P JHP....

The Speer Gold Dot +P 135gr JHP .38spl was co-designed & T&Eed with help from the NYPD. They use the 124gr JHP +Ps in the 9x19mm & wanted Speer Gold Dot to engineer a solid carry load for J frame back-ups & older cops who still had the model 10s. The brass & firearm instructors liked the ballistics of the Gold Dot 135gr +P .38spl. The copper bullets held up well to prolonged carry(CC holsters, ankle, pocket) & didn't deform like the soft 158gr SWC lead HPs.

Sy Brule

Model 40 Centennial

I've carried the Centennial since 1973 with 110 gr. Remington Silver Tip.
Backyard ballistics with an 8" stack of news papers soaked in water @ 18" had the silver tip expand to almost .44 and stopped at approx 6" deep.

.357 from the DW 15-2, 4" went through the stack and 4 " into the dirt.

For my new 9 mm M&P using Hornady 115 gr FTX (no backyard ballistics)

Good Luck

Jim March

Remington Silver Tip

Considering that "Silver Tip" is a trademark of Winchester...no...you haven't.

Sigh.

The Silvertip is an outdated projectile design. Bigtime. The 145gr version in 357Mag works very well, but I wouldn't trust it in 38Spl. Esp. not from a 2" barrel.

Now, Winchester's 130gr 38+P "Supreme" is pretty good. A big-cavity JHP design and probably influenced Speer's 135gr types that came not too long after.