opinions on two scopes

stillquietvoice

i found two rifle scopes at a small local gun shop that sells vintage guns. the first one is a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 and the other is a bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40.
i am paying 350 for the pair.
i am interested in your experiences and opinions on both good or bad thanks in advance for your opinions.

NoSecondBest

I own a half dozen Bushnell Elite 3200 scopes in just that size (3-9x40) and I've had them on a dozen different guns. I have never had even one minor problem with any of them. They are lifetime guaranteed, have rainguard on the lenses, track perfectly, and are almost as clear as my three times as costly Leupolds (I'd say 95% as clear....or better). I'm not a Nikon fan mostly due to their goofy reticles they put on too many scopes. I think the glass is good and they're popular but they just don't beckon to me when I'm looking for a scope.

Note: you're only paying a fair price for the scopes, not a real good price. Used they sell for around one-fifty if in good condition. Still, if you can use two good scopes, you got a much better price than buying new. If they work, they work.

Nathan

Both are good mid range hunting scopes. My guesstimate says $300-$350 is a fair price for the pair, depending on condition. $300-$350 is good to excellent condition without excessive ring marks. I'm willingness ng to accept some scuffing, but anything that makes me question tube roundness or kink is not OK.

jmr40

There are several brand new scopes selling in the $200 price range that are better, much better. For around $50 more you could have 2 much better scopes brand new.

When pricing used optics I'd only give 25-50% of what the same scope sells for new. I'd pass

stillquietvoice

i thank you again for your input. i know that both models have been discontinued and figured that med end optics (even older models) would serve well. i plan on one going to my son in law for his 670 win 3006. i have read some reviews and seen them on swfa sample list used for more.
also figured both to be better optically than my current glass a weaver kaspa 3-9x40 and buckmaster 2 4-12x40.
my eyes arent what they used to be and figure that they deserve better.

Stillhunter

I agree, not great,but fair pricing.

Never owned a Buckmaster,but I do own 2, 3x9x40 3200,s.I like them.

Eye relief is the only complaint i have with the 3200,3.3 inches.With my old eyes,I have to add more eye focus,making it even less.Took them off a 270&30-06,and put them on less recoiling rifles,which I am more comfortable with now and they both have preformed great.

If eye relief is not an issue with you,then never mind me.:D

ms6852

They are good scopes for hunting , I find the price fair but not a great buy. I prefer scopes that have parallel adjustment since I like to reload and perform the ladder test on my reloads which work best in distances of 200 yds or longer.

Boogershooter

The Bushnell elite series of scopes was the best deal on scopes I've seen. I admit they are not comparable to high end scopes but in my experience with lower priced scopes they were the best for your money. I've sent alot of scopes in for repair but never a elite. Another cheap good scope I still use is the simmons whitetail expedition. Only good scope they ever made. Other than those the rest of my glass is vari x3's and up. The only scope nikon is making is that I would put on a new gun is the monarch 7 but the dang top turret isn't lockable. I do own alot of nikon and Burris scopes but they are getting replaced every chance I get. I had more Burris than anything but I've had two go bad in the last couple years and a brand new one out of the box wouldn't track.

MJFlores

I have a 3X9 Bush 3200 elite on one of my guns. It's maintained it's zero over the 15 plus years I've had it, but it's just not as nice to look through as a Leupold. I've never really liked it, but I cant say its done anything wrong or failed in any way. I tried the elite when I was a big Burris fan. I eventually switched to Leupold 10 or so years ago and that's where I plan to stay.