Opinions on Tikka 595

Leif

I searched, but found little beyond old discussions of the Master Sporter iteration of this rifle: what is the concensus (if any) on the quality of the older sporter Tikka 595 rifles? These were the forerunners of the present Tikka T-3, to my understanding. I'm considering one in .22-250. Thanks!

Gewehr98

They're rare as hens' teeth...

And shoot like a house on fire.

A friend had one as his across-the-course match rifle, in .308. It was a bargain at the time, but I had a serious jones going for a Remington 700 PSS in the same chambering. That Tikka 595 Master Sporter shot just as well as, if not better, than my 700 PSS.

Then they stopped making them, and the importation thereof dried up. Every now and again you'll find one for sale, and I kick myself for not grabbing one way back when.

There's also a 695 Master Sporter in 6.5x55 that would be a kick in the pants.

Regardless of the chambering, if you have a line on one for a reasonable price, grab it!

308tikka.jpg

Leif

Thanks. I realize that my question was a little misleading in the way that it was (awkwardly) phrased. I'm not looking for information on the Master Sporter, but on the other sporter or varmint versions of the 595. My apologies.

BTW, that is one beautiful rifle. It's too bad that more centerfire rifles are not set up with stocks like that, especially with the drop belly for position shooting. These days, stock geometry like that seem to be custom only.