Opinions on this Rock Island .45 Deal.

Lurch37

Stopped by my local Pawn Shop today and was handed a Rock Island Armory in .45. Obviously they know my love of the 1911 platform...:D

Anyways, I got to looking over this particular firearm and thought that the price was decent at $335. Then I noticed it had 2 Wilson mags, a Wilson hammer, and a Wilson trigger, a Wilson beavertail grip safety, and to top it off, a set of those Crimson Trace laser grips. I asked 3-4 times if the price included the grips and was told yes so I had them hold it until I could stop by tomorrow and write a check.

So, what do you guys/gals think of the Rock Island as a firearm? I have absolutely no experience with that Brand but it seems like a fairly well made piece.

Tom2

I think they are probably decent as I have not seen them slammed on the forums but someone clarify something for me-arent they made overseas, like in Asia or something? Springfields come from Brazil, but I thought RA came from some really out of the way place. Maybe they are assembled here like Spflds?

Adrian

From another recent thread, Rock Island Armory is from the Philippines. The similarly-named Rock River Arms is right here in the States. No idea on whether RIA does finishing here or there.

I did a quick search through the forum for Rock Island Armory, and the general consensus seems to be that they're quite inexpensive and you get a lot for your money.

michael t

Their pretty trouble free pistols. Made by Armscore who also makes or did the Charles Daley and now the STI Sparten from their also. I belive.

BillCA

I'd day go ahead and get it.

The RIA is made in the Philippines by Armscor and it's a decently made gun. Frames are nicely done, strong, durable castings. In fact, at least one local PD authorizes them as a duty gun. I have a friend who says he's tricked out two of them and is happy with them.

With a Wilson hammer, trigger and beavertail safety, I'd suggest making sure the hammer doesn't push off and that both the grip and thumb safeties work. Anytime I see aftermarket parts I worry that the gun was sold because the previous owner screwed it up... so plan ahead.

schmeky

Look at it this way, you're basically buying a set of lazer grips and 2 wilson mags, the pistol is almost free.

The RIA's are very very good guns for the money, I have a .38 Super.

Perldog007

I have no experience with the brand, but after reading posts here and there would have to jump all over a deal like that.

Some pay around 300 just for the Crimson Trace Grips........

Congrats on nice score :D

Lurch37

Thanks for all the thoughts and info. I too thought the pistol looked decently made and even though I'm a sucker for old Colts I have a hard time passing up any 1911 of good quality. I went back today an put it on layaway...and will hopefully be able to pick it up in a couple weeks, even at $335 I have to make payments! Being divorced will do that to a guy. :)

I made sure the Crimson Trace grips and the Wilson mags were still in the case before I paid.

Perldog007

I used crimson trace grips on my ancient model 10 when I worked in D.C. and we were restricted to 4" / 6 shot /.38 specials. Cant say enough good things about the little red dot.