opinion's on the win mod 94 and the 30/30 cart.

trigger45

do you own one? do you like it? reciever sites? flip up sites? compact scopes? what have you done to it? what have you done with it? groups size?

am getting one in the middle of jan. and would like some input.
thanks

dog1

Yes I own a 94 win in 30-30 cal, and have taken a few deer with it. The 30-30 cartridge does good on deer sized game at short to med range, but I much prefer it in a marlin rifle, a much more accurate, and well built rifle, IMHO.

Gewehr98

I have an older top-eject Model 94 in .30-30, I am basically the original owner, and it has all of about 300 rounds through it. The scope is one of those 1950's vintage Saturn prismatic 2.25x jobs, which allows the brass to still eject up and onto the back of my neck. I handload for both this .30-30, and my wife's bolt-action Savage 340 in .30-30. The Nosler Ballistic Tip loads from her Savage run very well in the Winchester Model 94, but they have to be single-loaded, for safety and feeding considerations. When I get a chance to get back to my native Wisconsin, I'll give it a try on the whitetail population...

win94.jpg

Grayfox

Excellent general purpose rifle/cartridge combo. I like Winchester lever guns and have several in different calibers. Lever guns shine as short to medium range rifles. They balance very well and handle quickly just as they come from the factory. The only changes I make are to get some better open sights. To me, putting a scope on a lever gun amounts to blasphemy. JMHO.

Tom Matiska

We've had several in our family from 50's vintage with peeps to modern Angle Ejects with a centerline mounted 4 power.

We hunt thicker brush than most others care to and the weapon of choice is the scoped one. Peeps are ok for putting holes in paper, but they don't help you determine if bambi is a he or she(three inch spike rule in our state), or see the countless little branches that may deflect your shot. If you try to take a fifty yard shot through the brush with the unaided eyeball you are playng the lottery.

Consider a 2.5 or some of the 4 powers. The worst of the 4x's on the market have a 29' field of view(@100yards), and that is like looking through a keyole on the closer shots.

The older '94 shoots sub inch @50yards, but the heavy bead and wide aperature make small 100 yards groups dificult. The newer one will get close to 2" for the first few cold ones, but it opens up when the barrel warms up.

Tom

Tom B

I presently have 5. 3 are pre 64. One is the Trapper and the others are carbines with 1 being in 32WS cal. They all shoot about 3in groups at 100yds. I also have a Marlin 35cal that is the most accurate at 100yds but I love the Winchesters!