Opinions on the Tanfoglio SuperTitan .32

PzGren

If I am not mistaken I owned one that came from a law enforcement sale several years ago. Importer was EEA, European American Armory or so. Don't they look somewhat like the old Beretta 70 series? I had one in .32 and one in .380.

The .32 was reliable but not particularly accurate and it shot almost two feet low left at 12 yards. The .380 was unreliable.

Thirties

Mine is marked "F.I.E. Miami" and it looks a bit like a Beretta Brevettata (1944 model I saw). Shot it, and it works perfecly. Shoots very well indeed (3 1/2 inch groups at 13 paces hand-held).

I like the gun. I'd like some more info on it though. If I could buy a second magazine, a spring here and there, etc. I'd be really happy.

There is this second safety at the rear, which seems to retract (indent) the firing pin head so the hammer will not strike it. Gun is SA only.

Spiros

Last edited:

Thirties

Tanfoglio SuperTitan .32 ACP, need some info please . . .

I found a photo of a Tanfoglio GT32. My SuperTitan looks a bit like it, but the barrel sticks out forward of the slide on mine. Here is a photo I took of my gun.

Spiros

Hal

Great shooter, but few parts are available. I have the FIE imported .380 in 7 round configuration. I've been trying to find a left grip for years for mine. Parts dried up for them a long time ago it seems. Every once in a while I see one at the local shows going for around $100.00 or so. If I find one for half that price, with intact grips, I'll buy it. Mine outshot my .380 PPK, and hasn't ever had a misfire or jam, with ball ammo or hollowpoints in several hundred rounds. Good gun, but somewhat crudely made. Accurate in the extreme! I retired mine a couple years ago as a campground/house/motel gun in favor of a Firestar in 9mm, which in turn for the same reasons was retired in favor of a CZ75b. I only hang on to mine for sentimental reasons. It was a faithful workplace companion on lots of dark winter evenings when I worked in a "bad part of town".

Thirties

Tanfoglio Supertitan

Rae, thanks for your reply.I got an email overnight from Tanfoglio in Italy. They stopped making this gun in 1990 and have nothing on it.

I find mine is very accurate (also own a CZ85B which is even more accurate).

Can you tell me about the "rear" safety? It seems to pop the hammer end of the firing pin forward and back, as a type of firing pin safety. Is this reliable? There also seems to be a magazine safety linkage.

Can you give me any tips on cleaning and maintenance?

I think one of the reasons it shoots accurately is the barrel being one piece with the grip (no barrel movement at all). The fron sight nees something done to make it more visible (see close-up photo attached).

I don't own guns for self-defense, as I'm a total plinker and target shooter. This one is a joy so far.

I bought this gun to see how a .32 blowback shoots. I like the lower noise level compared to the 9mm, and the recoil is about the same as the 9. How do you think a CZ83 in .380 would compare to this .32 in noise ans recoil? I live up in Maine where many own guns, but CZs (other than 75s) are a rarity.

Spiros

Last edited:

Hal

Spiros,
You're right. The rear safety is a firing pin block. When it's up, it allow the firing pin full travel to strike. When it's down, it blocks the firing pin. It's there to block the firing pin in case you drop the gun or something hits the hammer when it's at full cock. It isn't really a safety though, so don't fall into the temptation to use it as one. The only real safety is the one on the frame. Unfortunatly, the safety also functions as the take down lever. I've had mine "come apart" racking it with the safety on. For range use, I never use the safety and rely 100% on the firing pin block. Around the house,(and at work when I had it there), I always left the gun off safe, and with the firing pin block down, but without one in the chamber. I'd never recommend that method for carry though, since the low cost of these guns makes me suspect how good the metal is in the block. Take down and maintnence is super easy. Drop the mag, rack the slide a couple times to insure and empty chamber, rotate the safety to on and pull the slide all the way back and up. That exposes the barrel and frame for cleaning, and the slide also. That's as far down as I ever had the need to take mine for cleaning, except for a few times taking the grips off to blow crud out. The grips come off easy, and there's no little pieces parts under them to lose. The only other place to make sure is clean, is the trigger disconnect right above and underneath the left grip. I don't know about .32acp ammo, but .380 ammo (factory) is exceptionally clean shooting, so I rarely need to clean there. The only other caution I can give, and my main reason for no longer shooting mine, is to be extra careful not to damage the pot metal magazine catch. Once that puppy breaks, I have a terrible eeling it's all over for it. :(
If you got a decent deal on yours, AND/OR it has no "history" with you. like mine does with me, I'd say shoot it until it breaks, which with reasonable care should be a long time, considering the low impulse of the .32acp round. Those cheapy little GT's are just too darned accurate not to enjoy. For the front sight, you might want to try a drop of whiteout, or use a match or a lighter to blacken it to add contrast.
As far as recoil goes, the .380 has more than my Firestar 9mm, but less noise. Since my ears are about gone these days, the extra noise for me is a non issue in a home defense situation. Overall, a .380 isn't all that bad for moise and recoil in the right gun. It's a good round, but my desire for it has pretty much cooled off over the years.

Bottom line is would I buy one in .32acp if the price was right? Heck yes, but only if it was priced right, and only because I don't own a .32acp right now. Would I recommend it to someone? Not really, there's a whole slew of better out there right now. If you've already made the plunge though, enjoy the heck out of it. Contrary to what others may think, I'm very pro low end guns. If it came down to a GT vs a PPK though, no question about it, the PPK would be what I would recommend. Quality pieces are made for several lifetimes of enjoyment and service. Low end stuff works great until it breaks. FWIW, I don't consider anything CZ to be low end except the price.
(Hope my ramble makes sense)

Thirties

Rae, makes lots of sense to me . . . thank you for taking the time to write me all that usefull info. I've had the gun apart a couple of times to clean. I guess, as you said, I'll enjoy it until it breaks.

As for a CZ83, I must decide on .32 or .380. I'll need to get hold of a .380 to shoot before I make up my mind. Don't want a gun that will be louder and/or snappier than my CZ 9mm, or I'd never what to use it. I know how well made and fine shooting my CZ85B is. Walthers are very expensive, and maybe no better made or performing than the CZ83.

You should have seen the .32 cal Beretta Brevettata I saw for $275. This thing was stamped 1944, so I guess some collector may want a genuine Fascist era handgun. I'd think that by '44 they were compromising quality. My Tanfoglio is a much finer gun that that.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Spiros

Spiros