Opinions on the SP101 DAO?

Mastrogiacomo

I'm going to be getting the SP101. I bought my Dad the GP100 and I was impressed with the trigger pull and overall handling and look of the gun. I'd like something for carry that will be good for defense and DAO seems to always get the thumbs up. However, it's not always a good choice for women because of the tough trigger pull. This gun should have nice weight and a good barrel length. I had a 442 and sold it because of the recoil and tough trigger. Anyone own this gun that can make a comparison to the S&W? I was going with the 640/649 but changed my mind as I wanted something with heft that was built like a tank. Appreciate any feedback. Thank you. :)

SnubbyMan

I like my DAO SP101. If you're looking for something with heft that is built like a tank, then you have made a good choice. Personally, I like the 442 and 640 better, but that is just personal preference. The SP101 will make shooting .357s easier because of it's weight. Since I typically only shoot .38 +Ps, the extra weight, for me, is not needed. I personally find the trigger on the 442 and 640 easier to pull than on my SP101. I guess it really comes down to what you're looking for.

Whether it's normal or not...I find it easier to get spent shells stuck under the extractor star if I don't follow good reload procedures.

yekimak

I had a regular sp101. good gun, heavy for its size, and the stock trigger pull was typical ruger and needed alot of work.

I have come to the conclustion that ruger uses super heavy springs to compensate for doing the fine tuning needed when using lighter springs. I redid my trigger while getting over knee surgery using an emory board, lighter and a pair of dykes (wire cutters). I used the emory board to smooth out mating surfaces, and he lighter and dykes to soften and cut to length the springs. I got a really good pull out of it, about like a stock S&W. I have just got done doing the same thing to my SRH, and even my non-gun wifey said she was amazed.

I love the ruggedness of the rugers, but since I do noit see S&W, Colt, or even taurii falling apart, I do not know if the extra work is worth it.

KurtC

I have a 3" SP101 in 9mm with a factory DAO hammer. The trigger pull is far nicer than I have seen on the DA/SA models.

ZWolfgang

The 640 has nearly as much heft as the SP does and is built nearly as ruggedly. The difference in ruggedness between the Smiths and the Rugers (where it exists) is something that the vast majority of gun owners will never experience. Most people don't shoot anywhere near enough to experience a wear-related failure on any of these name brand revolvers. I wouldn't buy a Ruger simply because I thought it would "last longer"... they will all last a very long time indeed... almost certainly outlast you before needing any repairs of any kind. Smith & Wessons haven't earned their legendary status for nothing... they are superb revolvers. I seriously doubt you would possibly shoot enough heavy loads through any of these guns to cause a problem of any kind. And though problems do occasionally occur with ALL brands from time to time, they are easily repaired!

The SP would be a good choice (vs. a feather weight J-frame) if shooting .357 full house loads is important, because the larger size and added weight help moderate recoil. But the 640 isn't much different in this regard.

You can get a nice trigger on a Ruger (don't compare GP trigger feel to SP trigger feel because they are different and the GP is vastly superior to the SP for nice trigger feel). First thing is go one grade lighter on the hammer spring and the trigger return spring. Then polish the contact points. That will help a LOT in getting a nice trigger on a Ruger.... do that on a GP and you can achieve a really nice trigger pull indeed. The SP can get a lot better too, but just won't compare to the GP for "nice feel".

The bobbed hammer will present with less possibility of catching on clothing than a standard hammer, but won't be nearly as good for shooting from within a coat pocket as an internal hammer model will (640, 642). For this reason, I believe the 640 is a better choice than the SP, even with bobbed hammer. The 640 is slightly smaller and slightly lighter, but still a fairly heavy weight model for it's size and with the internal hammer, it's slick as a lick for pulling from clothing and can be held in the hand inside a coat pocket and fired from within the pocket if necessary - a feature which I give very high value to.

As you know, I've been following your quest for a small carry revolver and I still feel the perfect choice for you is the 640. They are very rugged, strong, powerful, concealable, the most snag free of any gun, and have the Smith & Wesson trigger, quality, reputation, and resale value! Not that I don't like the SP, because I do have and carry one of those from time to time and they're great little blasters. But I would give the top choice award to the 640.

Mastrogiacomo

I'd probably wear it on the hip. I know some people say I could do a three inch SP for hip wear but I'd prefer a model with a hammer in that size. I'd like it as a BUG but, and yes I know the 442 and 642 is much loved, but I hate muzzle blast and recoil. The SP101 doesn't strike me as a gun that would be a problem at least as far as recoil is concerned. I don't know about the muzzle blast yet.

My big concern is that I can pull the trigger -- although I know it'll need a trigger job to be usable so I'm thinking of sending it along to Clark's Custom Guns. I'm hoping it will help. Someone on another forum said women aren't meant to use DAO, so I don't know but this gun has a good reputation for carry. Muzzle blast and recoil are my two primary concerns because I couldn't hit the side of a barn with the 442 so what's the point? I also want it to be something I can have fun with at the range, it shouldn't hurt to use it. I'm settling on the SP because I like the Rugers in general and the price beats the Smiths. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Thanks.

yekimak

When I bought my sp101 I was looking for a 640, but no shops in my area had one. I liked the ruger, but never really cared for the perceived bulk of the gun, and I ended up trading it for an armalite 180b, which was not a bad deal for me..:)..

I am questioning my need for ruger's hyper-ruggedness, and I think I would satasfied with a Smith, I only own one smith, an old beater 10-5, but it still shoots straight and the trigger feels like how God intended a trigger to feel.