Opinions on the New Vaquero (I know there's a lot of these threads, sorry !!)

JeffLrrp

Looking for anybody's opinion on the Ruger New Vaquero in the .357 magnum flavor.

I have around $500 saved up, waiting on another $100 or so for some ammo.

I love revolvers, and have wanted a larger framed revolver than what I already own (Smith Model 10 2", NAA Black Widow .22mag). This would be a range plinker, woods carry and hiking gun.

I am a fairly normal sized guy. 6', 175 lbs, and a runner, so Im not the strongest guy out there. How does the size of the New Vaquero compare to oh say, a four-inch Model 10? How does it handle the .357? Hows the stainless finish? Do you find yours accurate? Durability??

I know theres a lot of these New Vaquero threads (I just spent an hour looking thru some of them). Just wanted to know a little more about them. Opinions from Jim March would also be very much appreciated, as he seems to be an expert on these firerarms.

Thank you for your time.

Jefflrrp

Pathfinder45

I've only handled them....

...but never shot one.... I have the original Vaquero in .45 Colt. When I eventually get a .357 it will be the New Vaquero and I will use heavy cast 180 grain bullets to come as close to the .45 perfomance as I can get. The advantage of a .357 as I see it is being able to carry more ammo per pound or to carry less weight of ammo when back-packing in to remote locations. However I like what I've got just fine and will not get a .357 anytime soon. And yes, I much prefer single-action revolvers over doule-action. The New Vaquero's are very nice and I expect I will eventually be tempted to get one.

gak

Hopefully you won't get a lot of "buy a Blackhawk instead" replies, as it would appear that you've taken an interest in the fixed sight variant. That said, you can find the exact same (mid frame) gun but in adjustable sight form in the 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawk, if you do decide against fixed sight.

The NV .357 is a fine gun. And like its 50th or regular (larger framed) Blackhawk cousins can take basically any .357 you might want to shoot throuh it. 5.5" (and up) can get a little heavy on the hip for a lot of trail use, but with its better sight picture is still my favorite multi-purpose length (range, hunt,etc). If planning on a lot of packing/trailing, consider the handy 4-5/8" length. With those small(ish) holes, every little bit helps, and it's just that much shorter and lighter for a long day on the trail,...and some like the balance better in the '57. The stainless version is great. Looks like nickel.

One variant you may not know about, and handier yet than the 4-5/8 above is the Montado which is a limited run (Davidson's and its local distributors), shorter-yet 3-3/4" stainless New Vaquero with Super Blackhawk (lower, wider) hammer and--until recent/current production--a grooved frontstrap. These initially were made for mounted shooter cowboy action competitors, but it makes a great packin' sized Ruger.

The stock grips on these seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em proposition--from a size/fit point of view. They are narrower than the "standard" (Colt sized) fare. Not much you can do about that except get some aftermarket (or maybe even Ruger-online store) grips--of which there are many fine purveyors. If its just the "aggressive" checkering that's objectionable (and they are that to many folk), you can tone them down to more closely resemble the 1st and 2nd Gen Colts they're supposed to emulate...with 5 minutes of vigorous 000 steel wool rubbing (take the grips off or mask off the metal and already-smooth grip edge carefully). Takes just enough off the sharp point tips and makes them feel more "hard rubber" and less "plasticky" too.

In the end, what's not to like?: famed Ruger dependability and full, safe 6 shot capability all modern Rugers have had in the very nice Colt-like profile and mid-frame size...as many have said--all that's needed for the .357.

Last edited:

JeffLrrp

When I can handle both the New Vaquero and Blackhawk, I'll make the final (final :D ) decision, but right now Im still thinking Vaquero. The only single action Ruger I've played with was a Bearcat, so I can't really make a size comparision and see which fits my hand better. Going to Gander or Green Top soon.

indigo-357

New Vaqueros

I have three: 4 5/8 45 Colt, 4 5/8 357, 45 Colt Montado.

Of the three, I prefer the Montado head and shoulders above all. I love the way it balances, I love the hammer, love the aesthetics. Recoil is non-existent in any of them, even with stout 357 loads.

Once upon a time I wanted the authenticity of the Colts, but I couldn't justify spending 2x the price, especially when it's going to be carried frequently and shot often. Also, I prefer stainless over blued, and Colt doesn't offer that.

Jim March

As you know I have a NewVaq357 and love it. Had it since 2005, been modifying it since, it's now turned into a real beast complete with radical sight experiments:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1jimmarch/3617053759

THAT SAID, at the time there were very few 50th Anniversary 357s around, basically the same gun but fixed-sights, all-blue. They were also expensive.

They're not expensive no more - $400 gets one from here:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

That's a better deal than $500 worth of NewVaq.

Here's why:

* Only the very newest NewVaqs are all-blue, no fake-case-colors anymore. Trust me, the fake case colors were a very bad idea. It rusts unless you watch it like a hawk - as in daily checking for me during the summer in AZ when I run a swamp cooler. I catch the first light dustings of rust and it wipes right off, thankfully, but it's a pain. The blue barrel and grip frame isn't doing that. All of the 50th guns are all-blue.

* Adjustable sights on the 50th. It would be pretty easy to put REAL Goshen Hexsites on a 50th 357, and even retain elevation adjustments. Take the rear sight out, cut off the back end where the blade is, tap a hole in the sight body for the Glock-variant Hexsite to bolt onto. Easy. All kinds of other sight options too, without getting into the "weird science" I've done. Mind you, I've had fun and I like how my sights are coming along, but it was a hell of a pain :) and I'd never have gotten the latest incarnation right without a trip to Sedona AZ and a visit to Tim Sheehan's shop for his help tuning what I was doing. (The guy is seriously cool.)

If you don't go the Hexsite route there's tons of others - look at the parts area of Bowen's website for target, "combat" and "V-notch" options:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_Rug_Rough_Country_Adj_Rear.htm

If I wasn't going the Hexsite route, I'd likely do Bowen's Express-V rear and XS Big Dot front...and that's just catalog bolt-on parts with the 50th 357. (But the Hexsite is better!!!)

What else...ah. Recoil control. Identical in both guns - same heft, same grip. Same grip panel options. With the nastiest 357 ammo possible, shooting one-handed, either gun is controllable BUT you'll want smooth grips instead of the "black cheesegraters" on there. I just sanded down most of the factory grip panels and rounded the bottoms, and while it looks cheesy it works so well I never bothered to upgrade. If you haven't figured it out by now, I care about how it works, not how it looks :). That said, similar wood grips are easy to get for either gun.

I recommend a "pinkie under" hold, and you should be able to comfortably reach the hammer from your strong hand without shifting the grip. In my case, to do that I dropped my hammer reach by adding a SuperBlackhawk hammer.

It sounds like your hands are smaller than mine. To see if my route would work, go find a Ruger "Montado" at a dealer and see how that feels - the hammer is the same as the SuperBlackhawk but with a different checkering pattern - reach is the same. (The Mondado is a NewVaq with a short barrel and hammer swap just like I did in 2005.) If the Montado still feels funky, no problem, it means you'll need to buy a Ruger Bisley hammer from Brownells instead of the SBH like I did. The Bisley hammer fits, except you have to tweak the back edge just a little to make it fit non-Bisley grip frames. It's not a "gunsmith required" trick, a few seconds on a grinder will get you there. Let us know if this is an issue, I'll find you a link on what to alter. You're NOT changing the safety-critical sear surfaces or anything else needing tight clearances. Short form, hold the Bisley hammer flat against your stock hammer and you'll see right away where the rear "bulge" is on the Bisley hammer that needs trimming. Easy.

You need to be able to reach the hammer strong-side-only. There's techniques for shooting two-handed, cocking with the off-hand. Don't go down that dark path - it can get you killed in a real fight where you only have one hand available. Tune the gun's ergonomics to your hand. It frickin' ROCKS when you do.

If you're going to take your Ruger boomthing apart, get a set of gunsmith-grade screwdrivers or bits. Brownells has a Ruger-specific set for cheap. Highly recommended, along with blue locktite on critical screws. NOT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, RED!!! :)

Two-handed, hot 357s can be controlled in these guns bone-stock unmodified, but the grips are still uncomfortable (checkering again).

See this thread pages 2 and 3 for my notes on why the Ruger mid-frames rule:

http://rugerforum.net/showthread.php?t=16139

You've probably already run into a version here.

Again: the NewVaq and 50th 357 are the same gun. The GP100 is available fixed or adjustable sights under the same name, these two SAs should have been as well.

bigghoss

mr__horse.png

I went with a blackhawk because I like the larger grips and the ability to run stouter loads through it. adjustable sights are nice but I do kinda like the classic look of the vaquero.

madcratebuilder

I have both a NV and a 50th in .357, and they shoot pretty much the same, visual acuity is the main difference. The NV does resemble a SAA and the 50th is the classic blackhawk look.

kraigwy

I have one in 45LC. I'm impressed, I havent had any problem with it what so ever.

Its extremely accurate, but you have to take into account that accuracy in a revolver like this (assuming its well made and the NV is), is all in the fit. All people are differant and have differant size hands. Mine fixs my hand and I think thats why its accurate or I can shoot it fairly well.

The OPer said he's 6' 175lbs, I'm a bit fatter, 5'11' & 185 lbs, but thats pretty close, so it should fit your hand.

Its a shame we can't go through about 500 rounds in every gun before we buy it. But I lucked out with the NV, it fits me, therefore shoots well.

Another thing, I shoot cast bullets and I dont load them hot so that may or may not add to the equasion.

rclark

I have the 50th .357 and it is very accurate. I think the New Vaquero in .357 would be too as they are basically the same revolver (movable vs. fixed sights). First thing that I did do was get new grips.... Couldn't stand the cheese graters. Either one would make a good hiking/woods/plinker revolver. I like my .45 Colt Vaquero for the same thing now, .... but in my late teens and early 20s, I packed a .357 BH just about everywhere when fishing/hiking/camping and didn't feel 'out gunned' in moose and black bear country.

Laz

One thing not mentioned: If you do decide on the adjustable-sighted Blackhawk, the blued Blackhawk (not the 50th Anniversary medium-framed one) has an aluminum grip frame which both lightens the gun and changes the balance. The 50th Anniversary .357 and the Vaqueros all have steel grip frames.

I have a couple of convertible .45 Blackhawks and, for me, the aluminum grip and the .45 acp or standard .45 Colt cartridges are perfectly matched.

BTW, I love my New Vaquero in .357.

dgludwig

You need to be able to reach the hammer strong-side-only. There's techniques for shooting two-handed, cocking with the off-hand. Don't go down that dark path - it can get you killed in a real fight where you only have one hand available.

In a "real gun fight", one should be firing the gun with both hands whenever possible. And if you're shooting with both hands, cocking a revolver single-action with the "off-hand" is faster and doesn't require shifting your shooting hand (even a little) to cock the hammer with every shot.

Just as one should practice shooting with the "weak" hand in the event it becomes impossible to use your strong hand, it is just as important to practice cocking a single-action revolver with your strong hand in the event that's the only hand you have left to shoot with. But both of these training regimens are for when it becomes impossible to use both hands.

finfanatic

Vaquero

I found a used Blackhawk .357 5.5" barrel and a Ruger New Vaquero .357 at a gunshow awhile back. I spent about 3o minutes going from table to table and just checking out how each gun felt in my hand. And I had been looking for a .357 Blackhawk for awhile. But somehow, the Vaquero just felt better in my hands.

The dealer came off $25 and I got the Vaquero for $400 OTD.

Ruger-Vaquero1.jpg

Ruger-Vaquero2.jpg

It was very accurate and handled the .357 loads with ease. I have been searching for a western holster for it, but there are so many options I can't decide.

I'd say either a Blackhawk or a Vaquero will please you. Get whichever one feels best to you. I am still looking for a Blackhawk.

Jim March

If you've got $500 to spend, why not just look around for an older Vaquero?

If you don't need the power levels the larger (older) ones can handle, the newer ones have better average quality control, shoot smaller groups out-of-the-box (on average) and are smaller and "handier" than their bigger cousins. Mid-frame (New Vaquero and the like) ergonomics are much closer to a Colt SAA.

CraigC

If you want a .357, the original Vaquero would be a step backwards. The New Vaquero is more appropriately sized for the cartridge, has a more natural and comfortable grip and offers the reverse indexing pawl. There are NO strength issues in the .357 chambering.

I also agree that anybody who has any amount of interest in becoming proficient with the single action revolver should be able to shoot one handed nearly as well as with both. I reckon it may be a product of thumbing back hammers with my strongside thumb for the last 23yrs but it still confuses me every time somebody says that they can't reach the hammer or that they have to shift their grip to thumb back the hammer with the strongside thumb. Maybe I just have articulate thumbs but I don't shift my grip or even lose the sights when I thumb one back. Perhaps much more practice is needed if it's a problem???

Jim March

Maybe I just have articulate thumbs but I don't shift my grip or even lose the sights when I thumb one back. Perhaps much more practice is needed if it's a problem???

Well a lot of the blame can be laid at SASS's feet, with the rule (RECENTLY REPEALED) barring hammer swaps to the SuperBlackhawk type. People with smaller hands (or those like me who shoot pinkie-under) can't reach up as well with the standard hammer. That's why mine was swapped to SBH very, very soon after I bought my NewVaq in 2005.

SASS has now clarified their rules again: it's possible to put an "SBH type" hammer or anything reasonably close on non-Ruger guns as well, so we're likely to see Uberti, Pietta, USFA and others follow suit.

(The rule was repealed first for the horse-mounted competition to make one-handed operation safer for the horses. When enough people realized there were "different rules for the wealthy" going on (horses are damned expensive pets!), the outcry was enough to force a reform.)

CraigC

Which is another thing that baffles me a little bit. I like the Bisley hammer fine, on Bisleys but with the plowhandle grip frame, Colt or Ruger, I prefer the standard hammer profile. Not the Bisley or Super hammers. Even the high sweep hammer of the 1860 model is not a problem and I do not have huge hands.

batmann

The NV or the mid-frame Blackhawks are fine weapons. I have two 'Flattops' one in .357 and the other in .44 Spl and I like them both.