Opinions on Taurus Titanium Handguns?

Doug S

Well I worked out a deal with my wife where by taking on a couple of extra on-calls at work, she will "approve" of my using a percentage of these extra funds to be used for firearm purchases. So not yet having learned my lesson after my most recent Taurus repair, and wanting something lighter and more rustproof, I'm considering the purchase of a Taurus Protector model, either the total titanium or Ultralite titanium. I've not been able to find the specs to compare the weight of these models. I assume the Ultralite Ti weighs less. If its only a small difference I'll probably opt for the Total Ti as the price difference is only $15 dollars at my local dealers ($410 Ult Ti & $425 Tot Ti). I would appreciate any opinions on titanium handguns. Are they worth it. Is durability, rustproofing, noticeable improved? Are there any problems with these new materials. Also would the titanium cylinder & barrel on the Ultralite make this gun more durable than say a regular Ultralite and comparable to that of the Total Ti? I think I prefer the Ultralite model, but wonder if the Total Ti wouldn't be the better purchase for only a $15 difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Rangegod

Here is my Taurus Ti story.

I bought my first and only Taurus revolver, a new 627Ti Tracker 4” at a gun show about two years ago. On my first range trip, the cylinder started dragging on the barrel after a few rounds. Before completing the first box of ammo the action started to bind up not allowing the trigger to return to the forward position. Inspecting the gun at home, I found the binding was not in the lock work per say but was caused by the hand binding on the cylinder ratchet at two different points. I opened up the barrel cylinder gap and fixed the offending burrs on the ratchet and things seemed OK.

On my second range trip got heavy cylinder drag when shooting .357s. Again at home, I found a large burr around the firing pin hole (rookie error I should have seen this earlier) which was binding the gun on cartridge set back after firing. About this time I replaced the (very heavy) factory springs with a set of Wolf reduced power springs (10# trigger return, 11# main spring). I also had to stone (to get the deep machine marks) and polish the hammer strut to get the roughness out of the action. (BTW, the Wolf 10# main spring in the spring kit was too light for reliable ignition.) I now had a great feeling and working gun, or so I thought!

On my next range trip I loaded and fired my first 7 .357s. Thing were going well, as I loaded the second cylinder full. While opening the cylinder after firing the second seven I notice some binding. Upon inspection I found the center pin had sheared flush with the ejector star. Needless to say this put an end to any further shooting of the Taurus that day.

Upon returning home, I went to the Taurus web site and filled out a work order explaining the problem, packaged up the gun and UPSed it to Taurus.

About 4 weeks later I got the gun back with the center pin replaced AND a new cylinder. The old cylinder had some erosion on the front face but I did not request replacement.

Things have been fine since its return. This is a gun I really wanted to like, light, 7 shot, corrosion free Titanium and a blast to shoot when it’s working, but I’m not sure I’d do it again.

tator

I've seem to have had the same problems. however my center did not completely shear but bent to the point causing failures to lockup. I just called Taurus and ordered the part isntead of sending them the gun. I too have deburred and polished the hell out of the internals along with Wolff springs. I'm running #10 on both w/o a misfire yet. Slight trigger return problems but cleaning up the insides I think helped resolve them. I also have a Jack Wiegand Scope base installed on mine with a red dot for the wife to play with. Even with the lightest springs possible the DA Pull seems to be heavy and the trigger return also seems stout.

Catbird

I have three snubnose Taurus Total Titanium revolvers (.38 spl, .357 mag & .45 Colt). I've had multiple problems with all of them requiring one or more returns to the factory; I'll never buy another Taurus revolver. :barf:

My new 650 CIA did not make it though 2 full cylinders before the gun totally locked up, were talking the action, the cylinder, and the cylinder release. It is still at Taurus for repairs 6 weeks later. On the bright side when you get your new Taurus you'll be happy to know that the Fed-Ex fee to ship your new **** back to Taurus will be slightly less as Titanium weighs less than steel. :barf:

stellarpod

4" .357 Ti-Tracker - cracks in cylinder walls. :eek:

Sent it back. 7-8 weeks of haggling with extremely poor CS, finally received replacement gun (only after my brutal insistance). As soon as I received the gun I traded it in, unshot, for another non-Taurus purchase from my dealer.

Lifetime warranty? :rolleyes:

chaim

Based on observations from people on the internet I'd say to stay away from the Taurus Titanium guns and the S&W titanium and scandium guns for a while. They seem to have more trouble at this time than the aluminum and the steel guns. I don't know if it is something inherent in the material or if they just don't have the bugs worked out.

If you want something light get the UL models (or the aluminum models from S&W like the M37). They are aluminum alloy and much lighter than the steel guns but are a more established technology with fewer problems than the titianum or scandium. I believe that S&W and Colt had more problems than usual with their aluminum guns when they were new technology too, but now a few decades later things are more than worked out.

Doug S

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Not really what I expected, but I can't say that I'm really surprised either. Are people having the same problems with the titanium cylinder and barrel ultralites? Has anyone had a positive experience with the titanium models? If this is the norm I may have to start looking for a used S&W.

zxc

same experience with the Taurus Titanium series, dealer was kind enough to replace it; didnt even get to shoot a full cylinder. Just picked up a beat up but tight Bodyguard M49.POA with Win Silvertips. Wifes car gun. Good luck.

DougB

A friend of mine has a Taurus Titanium Tracker .357. He hasn't had any problems and is very happy with it. I've shot it several times and also think its a nice gun. I'm surprised at all the negative comments here - maybe my friend just got lucky.

I am also surprised at how many seem to feel the need to replace springs, file and polish internal parts, etc. on new guns. To each his own - I don't doubt that performance can sometimes be enhanced - but I think 95% of revolver purchasers will just buy the gun and shoot it as-is. I also suspect that the vast majority of these shooters won't have problems with the Taurus revolvers. I don't know a lot about Taurus, so I'm not defending them, but I can sympathize with them being a little less than thrilled to deal with:

"I bought one of your revolvers, took it completely apart, replaced the factory springs, polished and "deburred" a lot of internal parts to improve the action, and now it doesn't work right. Please fix or replace it."

Doug

Catbird

I can't speak for anyone else, but mine were flawed right out of the box.

In my .38 spl, two of the five chambers were so sticky, I had to knock the fired cases out with a wooden dowel. It also was plagued with light firing pin strikes. Finally, POI was 12" low at 7 yds. It was eventually replaced by Taurus with another gun.

My .357 mag. was also plagued with light firing pin strikes and it had a terribly creepy, gritty trigger pull. I sent it back to Taurus and when I got it back, I couldn't even cock the hammer. When I held it up to the light to see what the problem was, the firing pin/transfer bar fell out onto the floor. I had to send it back for repairs again. The trigger is still awful.

And then there's my .45 Colt....:barf:

tator

Well since I do quite abit of pin, steel and other shooting events where a decent Double action is needed. There are lots of things needed to be done to make the Ti Trackers workable. The Stainless Trackers have a pretty good feel to the trigger but still very heavy. The Ti Tracker's action both being 15+ lbs DA feels like someone dumped a cup of sand into the action and ground it around for a while. This is appears to be do to how the frame is produced. By the way the markings look I would say they are cast, but I don't know for sure. But, as mine and other posts have shown, polishing internals, if just not basic smoothing of the frame and sideplate, including de-burring, has nearly fixed this problem.

I can now operate in DAO and do fairly well with it.

I know of 4 other people who have Ti trackers, And for what they do with them, they are all very happy. But they all just shoot Single Action at Paper and an occational steel target.

In hind sight I would have saved the extra money and my time involved with making life better, and purchased a 66, 607, 608 installed the a spring kit and called life good....

Oh wait, I went and found a mid 80s 686+ with everything done for $385.00 and now life is good.

BTW I'll sell my tracker to anyone really interested after my postings:D

CANIS

I have a Taurus .44 Special titanium (model 445t) It has been perfect and very fun to shoot. No recoil with the ribber grip and porting. It is my current CCW handgun. After several hundred rounds, it seems to have smoothed up a bit.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

CANIS

Kentucky Rifle

My wife's carry pistol is a Taurus Total Ti...

And it's in her purse at this very moment. She practices often, and there have been no troubles at all with the gun since she took it out of the box. Oh, it's an 85. (.38 Special.) When she went for her Kentucky CCW, I promised her any revolver she wanted. She picked the Total Ti in "matte spectrum blue".

KR

J.R. Bob Dobbs

I've had good success with a total titanium 85, 38spl. Nice shooting, great looking gun.

Well, I DID have to replace the mainspring, which caused occasional light strikes out of the box. They sent the replacement spring to me, quickly and for free. No problems since. They're great carry guns when they're sorted out; it seems quite a few need some warranty work though. I have since replaced the Taurus with a used S&W342, but only because the S&W weighs less and has an internal hammer. I like Taurus revolvers, and still have a few.

benewton

Canis:
Giving some real thought about that specific weapon, replacing an old Charter Bulldog, which I've essentially shot out.

Do you think it can do 50 or so rounds per week for 30 weeks a year for 10 years or so?

And, what do you shoot?

Doug S

Well it starting to sound like it's a matter of luck. After reading the Ruger thread and some others on the S&W Scandium Revolvers, it's also sounds like Taurus is not alone in this matter. I really like the Protector Ultralite Titanium, but after reading the above posts I think I'll look around a bit longer before making a decision. Unfortunately, I guess I'm not the only one who can't seem to get a product of any type, home from a store without it being broken. Quality control seems to be non-existent regardless of the type of items I buy or prices I pay. I guess that's one of the perks of our global economy. I do appreciate all of the advice.

CANIS

Benewton,

I won't know till I've tried it! It seems very well made, nice and tight and accurate. I put 250 rounds through it my very first session and it worked just fine. Despite a REALLY tight cylinder gap, I experienced no binding. It was easy to clean also. I've put several hundred rounds through it. I shoot 240 grain swc, 180 grain sjhp, and 240 gr sjhp. I also put a few round of corbon 200 grainers through it. All were great. I am amazed at the lack of muzzle flip on this weapon. It seems to just stay right on target for me. Very fast follow up shots for me. I carry it so I practice with it at every range session. I see no sign of cutting, erosion or finish wear. I carry it in a FIST IWB Kydex holster. It is so light I do not even need a belt to carry this weapon.
I'm gonna put another couple hundred through her this weekend.
A great gun IMO.

CANIS

Kentucky Rifle

Canis...

"A tight gap with no binding". I wonder if it could be that titaniun maybe just doesn't expand under heat as much as steel does? Just a thought. Maybe an engineer will reply. The gap on my wife's titanium 85 is tight also. Never had a problem with that one either. (Except for the time we came home from the range and were cleaning up the pistols we'd shot that day, and she pulled a patch through and knocked over an open bottle of Hoppe's with her elbow! The smell damn near killed us for a week--maybe longer!:D)

KR

CANIS

Could be that Ti does not expand as much. I thought that after 50 rounds I'd get some binding, but i never did. PMC is not the cleanest amout out there and as I said I put 250 rounds right through my gun in my first range session. The gun sure did get hot, but did not bind up! The barrel got so hot after i fired the first 50 rounds as fast as I could reload (used speedloaders)and keep 'em all in the bull that I got a blister on my finger when reloading from the heat when I accidentally touhed the barrel!

CANIS