Opinions on Springfield Omega 10mm please.

croyance

I always planned to get a 10mm handgun later, but I see a full sized Springfield Omega in 10mm.
Any comments on this? Anything to watch out for? I remember that some 1911's in 10mm had frame issues. Is this easily solved by heavier springs?
What price should I be looking at?

Thanks.

Willy T

I would personally pass on that Omega. My opinion only of course. They dont hold up well to the original loadings. For my money I believe the best out there is the SW 1006 in 10mm. They are not made anymore but can be easily found. I own two and never looked for either. ;)

roman3

My friend had one when they were new...jam-o-matic...never worked correctly, never even went through one mag without a jam...maybe he got a lemon but I have heard other such stories about the omega...

+1 on what Willy T said...the S&W 10 Series are perhaps the best overall 10mm platform created:

I have had at one time or another the 1006, 1066 (favorite), and the 1076 (the famed FBI gun). The 1006 is the most commonly found version as it was the version they produced the most of...

Get one of those if you can...heck you can still find and buy new in the wrapper mags for them.;)

Willy T

I would search for a 3rd Gen Smith myself. I picked up a SW1006 in nice shape for $399. I paid $600 for my first. EAA makes them, Glock does too but for my money SW is the proven winner. They made the 10XX for the 10 round back in the Norma days. They are heavy as hell all stainless tanks. And sprung for the original loadings. ;)

gandog56

Don't forget the Dan Wesson Pointmans and Razorbacks. Great quality. My Razorback is next to faultless.

Viper1357

Before everyone jumps on the SA "OMEGA" was/is no good bandwagon, some home work needs to be done. I'm not saying that the other pistols mentioned are not great or viable alternatives, but rather just defending the 'true' option of an OMEGA if that's what he's interested in.

Here is a thread from another forum with some excellent information on the OMEGA, and while there were some definite quality/function issues with the "earlier model year", those issues were worked out in the middle and later years.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159483&highlight=omega

You can find fault in many other pistols as well, like early Colt Delta frames cracking, or any host of other 1911 models with some issue or another. Many guns have had a rocky beginning. In all honesty my first experience with 10mm was an S&W 1006 when they 'first came out'. It was an affordable alternative at the time to the OMEGA, and the mostly unavailable Bren Ten which has always eluded my pocket book. Anyway, (I swear this is the truth) from the second round fired (factory ammo, not reloads) that 1006 locked up during extraction.. I mean serious 'take apart, dowel through barrel', etc... Long story short, I drove to Ahlmans gun store and repair, (authorized S&W repair) 75 miles from my house, (southern Minnesota) and the smith tested it, and agreed something was wrong. Anyway, got it back a couple weeks later, same thing.. Moral or the story, I would have never believed a S&W could have been like that, but I did get one, and was leary ever since. I know it's dumb, because there's tens of thousands that are not defective.. Just my experience.

The true demise of the SA OMEGA was more business related issues with the Peters Stahl company (in Germany)on importation and patent of the slide (which PS made and SA imported at the time), and the fact that it was a very expensive gun for the times. It's a shame they stopped making them just as the bugs were all worked out. I was lucky enough to get a like new used one late last year on GunBroker. I checked the S/N with SA, and was pleased to find out it was one of the last couple of batches mine was made in before they stopped producing them. All the issues had been addressed, and short of a possible lemon, I should have no problem. They were right, it is like a dream gun to handle and shoot.

So if you want an OMEGA, it is possible to find a good one. They are not all bad. It's like the news.. you just hear about the bad ones.. Read that thread I linked to, and just do your homework looking for a later one. They are out there. Here's the kicker... the downside is that there are no spare parts, and the guns usually bring in a premium.

Here is the one I got, and it's a tack driving cannon:

omega991.jpg

omega1003.jpg

Webleymkv

I personally prefer the S&W 10xx series. They seem to hold up better than many of the 1911 types (probably because they were designed around the cartridge). I kind of shy away from the EAA witness because of some of the QC issues I hear about and I just don't like Glocks.

My 1076
BuffaloSabresGame68.jpg

Viper1357

I personally prefer the S&W 10xx series. They seem to hold up better than many of the 1911 types (probably because they were designed around the cartridge). I kind of shy away from the EAA witness because of some of the QC issues I hear about and I just don't like Glocks.

Webley's post and mine made me think of another angle on this.. What is your intended purpose for it? It would seem (apples to oranges) that his 1076 would be a great CCW and/or duty gun, while my OMEGA is better suited for hunting or target shooting with that 6" ported barrel and 3-4 lb. single action trigger pull. Same great caliber, two totally different uses. Food for thought.

Willy T

The SW 10XX is the way to go for proven guns. The rest in exception of the Glocks are a crapshoot. I personally would not fire alot of Norma+ loadings in a Glock. I have seen cracked frames in the 20s. If your not going to shoot the 10 to its potential, whats wrong with 40SW? Shoots alot flatter than the 45 and more energy at the same pen than the .355.

croyance

Well like so many enthusiasts, I just want something different. Honestly I have all my niches and more covered. I don't have an L-frame S&W revolver either, so the only one that tickles my fancy is the 696 (or 396) .44 Special. Hey, I have a lot of .357 Magnums.
I think at normal handgun ranges, I'm not too concerned about how flat the trajectory is. I only wish I were good enough for that to be a factor.
So if and when I get a 10mm, I will get some full house loads. Maybe it will end up being a curiosity piece that I can't unload at a fair price.

Viper1357, thanks for the link. I didn't have much time, but skimmed through it. While I saw the parts about the dates of manufacture for the Omega and Omega Elite, I didn't see which serial number ranges were the best to get? The ones where the improvements were made.

Viper1357

croyance,
The best advice I have is to definitely look for the ones with dual extractors, and the recoil guide rod assembly where the slide catch goes through should have the 'bridge' connector over it so the slide catch pin goes through a complete enclosed circle and not just a notch. (see below) These were the major jamming and breakage issues I learned about in the earlier pistols.

My s/n to help you with dating is "NM 1245xx" which puts it in Jan of 2001. Definitely a later model. I really lucked out.

omega1004.jpg

Notice the 'bridge' connecting the 'notch' where the slide catch pin would go. That was a weak area and was prone to breakage before this improvment.

omega1008.jpg