Opinions on (spray) painting a rifle

Omega blood

I was just wondering on what the opinions are as to spray painting a rifle for camo purposes. Other than being somewhat permanent are there any negative things that would happen to the gun?
Incase you are wondering I know there are tapes and such I could use to camo a gun but I like doing it my self. It may not be the best but I find that camouflaging stuff is fun.

OBIWAN

I have done the Alumahyde II thing to one of my AR's and one of my AK's

No downside as long as you can handle the less than pristine appearance as it wears

Good for camo...but not so good for people that see weapons as "works of art"

USNairman

I spray painted my TC muzzleloader and I thought it turned out really nice. Just take your time and make sure to let it dry well between coats and you should be ok. I would test out your pattern skills on a 2x4 before you move on to your gun though.

lfmayor

"They're pretty Colonel, but can they fight?"

I've spray painted most of my mil-surps, I think it makes good sense if you're not collecting museum pieces, just shooting like me. I don't worry about rust or scratches any more, 'cept the internals. Just take your time, degrease well before spraying, remove or tape off your sights and you can't go wrong.

I've bought some Dura Coat to try out on a few older pistols I have, since I figured the holsters would just eat the paint the first time in and out. Still waiting on some good warm weather to apply it, though.

sundog

I built an 03A3 scoped sporter some years ago. I sits in a nice Carbolite stock. The barrel looked like crap, so I cleaned it good and put two coats of extreme high temp flat black exhaust manifold paint on just the barrel. Really looks good, and very sturdy against elements and scratches.

AK103K

If your not real sure, try Testors Military Flats first. They can be completely removed with a little work (Gun Scrubber, Hoppe's, etc) and you can get them in pretty much any color needed to match your desired pattern or any you chose to make up. They also make it very easy to touch up if you want to.

Alum Hyde II is more of a "semi" permanent paint. Its great stuff, but it wont come off easy. I've used it as a base for camo jobs on a number of guns and painted everything from guns, stocks, scopes, knives, even a bike, with it. It holds up very well to abuse and solvents dont seem to bother it.

Just a suggestion for your camo job. Degrease well and plan it out ahead of time on how you plan to paint and how your going to hang everything to dry, and have it all set up before you start.

Use the lightest color in your pattern as the base and spray it on. I've always preferred using a brush for the rest of the colors, as it usually gives you a lot more control and better definition.

When I'm done, I usually give the whole gun a couple of three coats of Testors clear, flat lacquer. It flattens the finish even more and adds a couple of layers of protection.

Here's a couple I've done over the years....

German Flecktarn

fcaf5493.jpg

These have been painted for about 20 years now. The upper one bounced around in my truck for quite a few years and although you really cant see it, its finish is a little rougher than it looks in the pic. The lower one has been used a little more and never touched up.

faac967b.jpg

Winter layoff and boredom arent necessarily a good thing... :)

eab5ca9a.jpg

HorseSoldier

Like other people have said, there's nothing inherently bad about doing it, but basic spray paint will wear rapidly. Not hard to fix, obviously.

I'd recomment taking care to tape off iron sights (if you intend to use them) and maybe serial numbers. Making your front sight post a drab earth/woods color can make picking it up against a background of earth and trees kind of a pain.