Opinions on Savage Tactical Short Action.

bullseye

Looking at the Savage Tactical Short Action 10FP. Looks like with a good scope this should be a sub-moa gun at 100-200 yds. I'm undecided on .223 or .308. The .223 being about half the cost to shoot and all I plan to do with it is target shooting anyway, but does anyone have any opinions or personal experience with either caliber?

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
I have a little experience with both. Both are good cartridges and both have some benefits over the others.

I personally would get the .223 becasue I already have a precision rifle in .308 and all my .223s are black evil looking things.

The .308 can be used to take larger game if you ever plan on hunting with it.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Donny

I picked up a 10FP last year, in 308. No complaints to speak of. I have a Simmons 44MAG scope mounted on it, and it works real well as a combination.
My only complaint, if you will, is the stock. It's a better rifle after a refit with a McMillan, or HS Presicion.

It also would make a very nice Scout type(another thread mantioned this rifle).

Best Regards,
Don

------------------
The enemy of my enemy, is my friend.

Rob Pincus

I just ordered a 10FP Tactical .223 at SHOT, Once I throw some Glass on it and take it out to the range, I'll be happy to let you know what I think. ;)

My reasoning on going with the .223 was basically as noted above, all my .223s are evil looking (even my Mini-14 is a GB version!). I have the .308 dept well covered and wanted to try this out as a close-in alternative to the .308 bolts I've got. This living in a city thing muct be getting to me.....

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited January 25, 2000).]

headroom

for the price you can't hardly beat that rifle, if you want a varmint gun buy the 223, if you want more of an all purpose rifle get the 308. The stock is more like a sporter stock with a position for a bipod added.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Rob,

I have the .308 dept well covered

After reading your post I just realized something.... My .308 Precision Rifle is black and evil looking also(Might be time to camo her up! :D ) and that doesn't even take into accont my shotfun... oh hell... I'm screwed when they outlaw Black Guns (thank goodness I have a Green AUG)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"