Opinions on Savage Police SG

FPrice

I have the opportunity to buy a used Police SG from my local gun dealer. It is a Savage, Model 910 (?), pump action, approx 18" barrel, extended magazine tube, bead front sight. It is used but looks in very good shape, very little wear other than where the moving parts are. Price is $150.

Does anyone have any experience with these and any useful information to pass on? My plan is to make this a home self-defense weapon with hopefully some light competition use for practise (if I can find some tactical SG competition, the only ones I have ever heard of are IPSC three-gun matches).

Thanks in advance for any info you may be able to pass on.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

FPrice

Update...it's a...

Savage Model 69-RXL, Series E. I went back and checked to insure I knew exactly what it was. Still intend to get it, but would like the opinion of someone who is more familiar with SGs than myself.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

DML

IMHO, buy something else. You would be getting a shotgun that hasn't been made in years. Parts might be difficult to find. Spend a few bucks more and get a Remington 870 or Mossberg 590.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Frosty, unless this shotgun really appeals to you, get something with better parts availability. Not all pumps are as sturdy as an 870, an Ithaca 37, or an older Winchester.

One of the issue shotguns during the Nam Mess was a Savage.
It's not in the military inventory now, tho some may still be around for stockade duty,etc.

FPrice

DML and Dave,

Thanks for your input. Fortunately, Savage Arms is just two towns over from me and I plan on contacting them to check on things such as parts availability (a good suggestion DML) and an operator's manual.

But unless parts are impossible to get, I think I will end up buying this SG. For the price and the intended use I feel that it is a good interim solution until I can afford a more costly SG. I don't intend to take it out every weekend, just the initial familiarization then a couple (5-10?) of shells every month or two to keep comfortable with the operation and usage.

One additional hip-pocket benefit is that I know this dealer will take it back if for any reason I don't like it.

Thanks again for your comments.

Frosty
MOLON LABE