Opinions on S&W 637

New19

Today when I was picking up my new G30 at the local gun shop my wife saw a S&W637 that she liked I know nothing about revolvers so any input would be great, would this be a good CCW for her she has a G19 but thinks it is a little big for CCW.

I forgot to mention they wanted $379.00 for it.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have one and love it, love it, love it. It is like carrying nothing at all and is very accurate at the range and the recoil is very slight for a light weight gun. $379 is not a bad price. retails in the $420's i think. I paid $365 for mine new. It is one of those "perfect out of the box" type firearms. The only change I made was a smaller set of grips.

attachment.php

DenPro

I think the price sounds very fair. I've seen them for less on some reputable online sights, but after adding shipping and FFL costs....your price sounds pretty good. I just bought a 637 with the Crimson Trace Laser sights. I really like it. I've had the lighter J frame revolvers and the heavier "all steel" J frame models. The weight of the Model 637 is in the middle between the lighter titanium/scandium models and heavier "all steel models". I find shooting the .38 J frame revolver a pleasure compared to the .357 J frames. This model "for me" is the perfect J frame S&W revolver. You or your wife will be happy with it....and if it doesn't work out after you buy it, I did not write this response...my dog did it!

AK103K

I'd suggest letting her shoot one first, and see what she thinks. Small revolvers, especially loaded with the hotter SD type ammo, are not very pleasant to shoot.

You can shoot lighter loads for plinking and practice, but the difference is usually instantly noticeable when you switch. Personally, I believe in practicing with ammo equivalent to what I carry power wise, and shooting these little lightweight pistols with hot loads usually starts getting old after a 50 round box or so.

I have both the 637 and 642's, and the 642 is my favorite between them.

I also like the old, smaller "service stocks" with a Tyler "T" grip on them.

flycaster

I had a 637. Nice pistol, but not for me. My trigger finger got beaten to a pulp after about 75 range rounds. I ended up practicing with a Band-Aid around the finger for each range trip. It also shot about 2" right and 3" low at 21 feet. No, it was the gun, not me. Otherwise, I liked it, and wish we had been able to become better friends.

Chuck

New19

Thanks for the feed back, I will see if any ranges around here have one for rent and let her try it, if not I will probably just have to buy it for her and hope she likes it:rolleyes:

If she doesn't just send it to me. I could use a matched pair. I have an extra set of wooden J frame grips I need to put on something.