Opinions on S&W 39-2?

croyance

I found a used S&W 39-2 with some finish wear for $400. Mechanically it looks okay. I don't love the length to width ratio of the grip, but it isn't terrible.

Any experiences with this gun? I understand the 39 series is well known for eating everything. While I know each gun is individual, any warnings or caveats for the 39-2?

Thanks.

18DAI

39-2 cured the problems of the first 39's, problems with feeding JHP. They are accurate and reliable. I sold a pristine copy in my mispent youth, and still regret it. Get it, shoot it, love it. Regards 18DAI.

BillCA

Croyance,

Depending on the finish wear, I think $400 is a little high. I have 2 of them (see below) and both were purchased (in Kalifornia) for $399 in 99% condition.

The Model 39-2 is a very underrated S&W auto. It digests almost any ammo, has no serious faults, defects or engineering problems and it is very comfortable in the hand.

The M39 carries well for its size and has eye appeal as well. The magazine disconnect and the hammer-drop features can be easily negated for a carry gun and later replaced.

If the grip width feels too narrow for you, try a set of the Pachmayr wrap-around grips.

M39_0017cm.jpg

Hammerhead

I'm looking for one to complement my PC 952 (39 decendant).
If anyone sees one on an auction they're not bidding on, lemme know.

JoeHatley

I'm looking for one to complement my PC 952 (39 decendant).

Interesting. After I got my 952 (my 1st 9mm) I went on the exact same search. I ended up with the stainless 639. The whole 39 family seems to be a bit addictive.

Joe

ISP2605

My first agency-issued duty gun was a 39. We were the first agency to issue autos and 9mm in 1968 and we stayed with them until 1981 when we went to 439. I bought my 39 when we traded to the 439. Mine is not for sale. It's one of my favorites.
The 39-nothing had a hump in the feed ramp that caused feeding problems for some HPs. Our 39-nothings had the hump removed and S&W eliminated it in the 39-2. There was also a change in the extractor.

39.jpg

dogngun

Prices on the 39's and 59's are going up, but I think $400 is a little high, unless the gun is in really great condition...or you really like it.
They are excellent, very underrated, great shooting guns.

Mark

croyance

The one I found has a bit better finish than ISP2605's. It comes with no box.
I doubt Cabelas will go down in price, but no harm in asking.

warwagon

ISP stated that it was his duty weapon, expect a little wear here, or there.

They are _very_ good weapons, and the price doesn't seem too high for a pristine example.

Do your research, and don't give in to temptation on the first one(yeah right!)

Good luck!

ISP2605

The one I found has a bit better finish than ISP2605's.
Mine was carried ALOT(!). I carried it everyday, all day, all the time. It was my duty gun. It had been issued to another Troop, he retired, and then I got it when I came on. It was one of the first issued from about 1969 so it had 13 yrs of hard carry. That's honest holster wear, not abuse. You should have seen how worn the right grip panel was before I stuck new grips on it. I wouldn't trade if for a NIB, never fired 39 no matter what the deal.
Still shoots great and I've never had a bobble with any ammo. Duty ammo varied from W-W 125 SP to Fed 95 SP to W-W 115 Silvertip to Fed 115 BP and BPLE to W-W 115 +P and a ton of reloads of various loadings including SWC.

Last edited:

Vinagre

S&W Model 39-2

Good evening,

An Outstanding Pistol. I was issued one while in the Navy and carried it during my 2 tours in Vietnam. After I got out in 69 I missed having it and promptly purchased the one I still have to this date. I also bought at that time a DeSantis molded leather belt slide holster made specifically for this model that I also still have.

I've only had to replace the firing pin assy once otherwise nothing but pure shooting enjoyment over 30 plus years. S&W should crank out a limited number of them per the orginal specs just to titilate the shooting public IMHO.

The 2 Randalls are provided as a size reference in the attached jpg ;)

Attachments

• SA701708.jpg
    SA701708.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 886

Dos

Here's mine bought new in '76. All factory original and less than one hundred rounds. Pristine. And a real looker.

Attachments

• Model 39 resize.jpg
    Model 39 resize.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 135

Richard Simmons

Got this just last week at a local shop, $369 OTD. My first S&W semi and it fits my hand like a glove.

MVC-394S.jpg

The serial number makes it 1971. Shine is from the flash as she is around 97%. Both mags are factory. Wish it had come with the kraft paper and literature/warranty card. Now I'm looking for one in a little less condition for a shooter. This one will likely get looked at more than shot.

Tripplethreat

Back when I was a young officer these things were hard to get.We found some at J.B.Mazsk Gun Shop in Bunnell,Fl. and eight of us ordred them on a Dept. letterhead for $80.00 each. I bought two and sold one recouping all my money plus some.
When I took it home and broke it down it reminded me of the inside of a cheap flashlight,but I had been accustomed to Steel Colts,Brownings and heavy revolvers. The gun functioned just fine and fed the old Super-Vel hollowpoints without a problem. I carried it on duty for at least 2 years with
no issues at all. Being a wheelman at heart tho ,I finally went back to my Mod. 19 and Mod. 27 for duty.

pippin53

nickel 39-2

I like the 39 series so well that I have all 4 ( 39-2, 439, 539, and 639 ), but I can't understand the appeal of the nickel-plated ones. They look kind of blingy to me, though the brushed stainless 639 looks quite nice. I guess its one of those things where if I have to ask, I probably wouldn't understand.
Ken