Opinions on M&P 15??

Mrgunsngear

I have a M&P PSX. It's a great gun and the M&P rifling does seem to make a difference on my chrono...

DSC01325.jpg

That said, is it $300-400 better than a similarly set up PSA? Probably not.

Marquezj16

I have the Sport and Optics Ready (OR) models. They are both accurate and functions 100% with all ammo. Fit and finish are excellent. I would definitely recommend.
Sport
attachment.php

OR
attachment.php

AK103K

I picked up this M&P15T in a trade (NIB), and so far, its been a decent rifle. It shoots fine, and accuracy has been good. My only bitch are the Troy BUIS it came with. Just a tad chintzy.

ry%3D400

Hansam

AK103K - that's a nice branch you've got a pic of...:D

Anyway I've never owned an M&P 15 but HAVE shot a lot of ammo through a handful of them (friends' guns) and I can say they're a pretty good reliable rifle for the money. Can you get a better rifle for the money? Most likely although you'll have to do some research. Is it worth the money for a ready built AR? In my mind if I were going to buy a ready built AR I'd probably buy one of them as a starter rifle.

THE RAVEN

I have a MP-15 and a MP-15/22.........As far as the .223 goes,I love it.....Like everyone else said,smooth,accurate and fun to shoot.....Very affordable and it eats any ammo you throw at it...:D

SVO

I have two M&P 15's, one in .223 and one in .300 Whisper. The Whisper came with the quad rail forearm which I really find to be uncomfortable to grip. I hope to find a free floating tube type forearm to replace it. No other complaints or problems.

AK103K

The Whisper came with the quad rail forearm which I really find to be uncomfortable to grip.
Mine came with the quad rail too, and I agree, unless you put one of the rail guards on it, its is a bit sharp, pokey, and uncomfortable.

The downside to the guards is, they tend to make the diameter of the forearm a little big, or at least bigger than I was accustomed to.

insomni

I have the M&P-15 PS (Piston driven model) in 5.56NATO

IMGP0145.jpg

IMGP0147.jpg

IMGP0153.jpg

have since put the factory backplate back on, with a VTAC sling, and swapped the grip out.... still would take this rifle to war with me.

I can't say enough about how much I love this rifle. It is silky smooth, accurate as all hell. Buy one. now.

note: if you're switching the pistol grip out, you'll need a special screwdriver, or a gunsmith because S&W doesn't use a standard screw to hold the grip on.

Last edited:

ScotchMan

Those of you recommending other pre-built ARs for the money, can you be specific? What brands are comparably priced but higher quality?

Mrgunsngear

Palmetto State. They rarely have complete rifles for sale since demand is so high but you can almost always buy a complet lower and complete upper on their site for the same price.

It may take a while to ship but they're good rifles.