Opinions on Hornady L-N-L

shootniron

I just read where one of the members here bought a l-n-l. I was thinking of upgrading my junk to something decent and I was just wondering how the Hornady compares to the Dillon. If any of you guys have an opinion, which I doubt, please let me know what you think.

Thanks

k4swb

After MUCH online research comparing the Dillon and the LNL AP and listening to some HAM friends that own Dillons I chose the LNL AP and really like it. I like the powder measure on the LNL and I don't think I would have on the Dillon. I also like the way the station arraignment is on the LNL and know I would not have on the Dillon.

The LNL AP should be compared to the Dillon 650 and not the 550B since it is auto progressive like the 650.

I have had the LNL since last November and have loaded many thousands of rounds of 9mm, .45 ACP and .44 magnum and have found no fault at all.

I use the www.powderfunnels.com PTX button instead of the Hornady PTX dies and a mixture of dies with great results. I did add the micrometer adjustable insert for the powder measure but it really wasn't necessary, I just like it because I'm used to one on my Redding.

I probably would have been happy with either press but I think I made the right choice for me.

cryogenic419

I've got a LNL AP and couldn't be happier. Hornady makes a great machine, Dillon makes a great machine. Both have excellent customer service should you actually run into a snag. The things that sold me on the Hornady was the fact that they had "official" videos on youtube that more or less walked you through setting up the machine. They also have just the press, and if I feel like it later on I can add the auto case feeder, so the initial cost was a little lower getting into it. Going from a single stage press to a progressive was a little overwhelming at first. For me the less that was happening all at once, the easier it was to mentally digest what was happening and being able to keep an eye on everything to make sure it was all happening correctly.

The bushing system definately makes for quick changeovers. Change your shellplate, change the primer seater (if going to different size primer), change out the dies all in under 2 minutes. I use the powderfunnels PTX as well so setting that up and the measure for the powder charge I want to use...maybe another 5 minutes.

The LNL AP is a solid press that will give you consistent ammo. Once you get past the initial setup tweaking you shouldn't run into any issues other than an occasional part wearing out.

Waldog

I have loaded on all Dillon models and I still own a SDB. However, I prefer the operation of the LNL by a wide margin. The LNL is my primary press. I am completely satisfied.

BOTH companies put out an excellent product combined with impeccable customer service.

Do your research. Blue presses operate differently from Red presses. You may prefer one over the other. You won't know until you fully understand how each one works.

Good Luck!

bbqncigars

I would have to add that the 550B, in it's current version, may not be up to the task if you load 'unusual' cartridges. Specifically, loading .30 Mauser pistol ammo required a custom powder funnel/expander. Trying to load 25-20WCF on the Dillon was a frustrating experience in case neck mangling. I loaded many 9mm, .45 acp, and 7.62x51 on my 550B without a hitch. I just ran up against the limitations of that particular press. The more expensive models may not have the same problems. I just cut my losses and went to the LnL. The free bullets didn't hurt either. :D

FORKLIFT352

I got a LNL 3 yrs ago and love it.
I have never used a dillen,but at the time of research
1000 free bullets and about 50.00 cheaper.....

WESHOOT2

your money your choice my experience my opinion

I suggest and recommend the Dillon XL650 with roller handle and case feeder for high-volume loading.

I have experience with other presses including the Hornady.

50 bucks and 1000 free bullets means nothing in the long run......

cwok

Question on LNL and other progressives

I'm thinking about surprising my self with an LNL for Christmass; and have a very basic question about operation.

The LNL takes up to five dies.

My question is: how does it operate when only three dies are being used ?

I assume that the operator just plulls the handle five times:
a die operation is performed for three of those pulls,
and remaining two pulls simply rotate the turret to go back to the starting point.

FlyFish

I assume that the operator just plulls the handle five times:
a die operation is performed for three of those pulls,
and remaining two pulls simply rotate the turret to go back to the starting point.

Well, sort of - the way you describe it would be true if you ran a single case (only) around the entire cycle before adding another one. Actually, when you use the press as a progressive, every operation occurs with every pull of the handle, regardless of whether you have something going on at one or all five of the stations. So, if you have your three stations set up for resizing, powder charging, bullet seating (as you would, for example, with a bottleneck rifle cartridge), then the other two stations are "set up" for nothing, nothing - but each station does its assigned task each time you pull the handle.

I've had my LnL AP for a couple years and it's been great - no problems of any consequence and just a few minor adjustments.

Inspector3711

I sold a used Dillon SDB I got for free, then sold my Lee pro 1000. Next I ordered a LNL AP. It's been about a month.

I've loaded around 1000 rounds of .40 S&W. The only problem I've had was a little power leakage on to the shell plate. The die was hitting the powder drop a hair too soon. I got that ironed out by tweaking the pawls.

It's been a pure joy since. Next will be about 1500 rounds of .223...

OldLincoln

I encourage you to get the RCBS Lock-Out Die to ensure your powder charge is correct. It's easy to have an issue on one station an loose focus on the other stations. This die will prevent the press from rotating until the powder is right.

cwok

Old-Lincoln

So that RCBS lock-out die works with the LNL -- no problems with it when it stops the LNL press because of to much or too little powder ?

tobnpr

Ditto on the LNL press. Thousands of loads (large cal centerfires) over the past six months without a hiccup.

That lock-out die is interesting, didn't read all about it but note it only works on pistol calibers...

Hornady has a "Powder Cop" die that will also warn of no charge. Personally, I've yet to have such an incident happen.

Mad Martigan

Got mine in March. Loaded 1000 pistol rounds since then. I've never reloaded before and all my rounds have performed flawlessly. I am very happy with it.

physikal

I had to decide between the Hornady and Dillon almost a year ago. I went with a Hornady and have loved it ever since. Not only has the press itself been great, the customer service has as well.

I dropped one of the priming tubes that you use to pickup the primers and the plastic tip broke, they sent me a new tube (not just the plastic piece) right away, free of charge, no questions asked.

On top of all that, you can get a LNL AP for 400 right now on midwayusa.com. The LNL AP is comparable to the Dillon 650, for 400 bucks.

5 stations, Auto-Index. For 400 bucks (Sometimes 450). Love it!

I say go Hornady. You get way more bang for your buck.