Opinions on Holster/Carry Method

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I'm currently figuring on IWB @ about 430 but open to suggestions.

Most likely gun will be Glock 33.

Looking at SuperTuck, Comp-Tac and a few others right now

Kreyzhorse

I think carrying is a very personal thing and what works for one person won't work for another. When I started carrying, I figured I'd go IWB with a S&W 637. While I still carry that way once and a while, I found it uncomfortable and much prefer to carry OWB in a Galco Fletch holster. OWB with an untucked shirt in 8 o'clock position works best for me. While I've never tried a tuckable holster, I think I'm quicker to react with an OWB under an untucked shirt.

I've tried pocket carry with my snubnose and can't pull that off either. To me it looks like I've got a snubnose in my front pocket. Some people can pull it off, some can't.

If this is your first carry gun and holster, plan on buying a few different styles and makes of holsters. While you want to carry IWB, you might find that in the long run you like OWB better or maybe ditch both methods and go with a shoulder rig.

The best advice is to plan on trying a few but buy the best holsters you can afford. No matter what method you ultimately go with, plan on buying a GOOD leather gun belt. A good belt will support your piece and you'll need that support. Constantly adjusting a sagging belt will get old after a while.

www.usgalco.com
www.bianchi-intl.com
www.mitchrosen.com
www.miltsparks.com
www.desantis.com
www.donhume.com

Among others are all good places to look for good holsters.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
OWB is definitely my 2nd choice, that's part of the intention of this thread. I kind of assumed that OWB would be harder to conceal but more comfortable. True or No?

Keltyke

If this is your first carry gun and holster, plan on buying a few different styles and makes of holsters.
Or maybe more than a few. I got a box full of cast-offs, mostly the cheap soft "ambidextrious" nylon types. It took me a while to realize a GOOD holster was well worth the cost.

The best advice is to plan on trying a few but buy the best holsters you can afford.

Big +1 on that!

No matter what method you ultimately go with, plan on buying a GOOD leather gun belt.
And another big +1! You got a gun in a holster that may weigh upwards of 2 pounds. A Wal-Mart "El Cheapo" $10.99 belt just won't cut it. I purchased mine from Tractor Supply. It's a work belt. 1.5" wide and thick, stiff leather. It holds my Steyr in the Desantis OWB holster nicely.

bds32

I carry in three different manners, depending on dress and destination.

1. outside the pants on the right hip
2. Inside the pants on front of waist
3. Inside the pants pocket

By far the fastest draw you can get from a concealed carry wearing a shirt (no jacket) is in the front of the waist. Problem is that is not always comfortable and you have to have loose pants. But, this is where I would want it if it hit the fan.

Keltyke

I kind of assumed that OWB would be harder to conceal but more comfortable.

I'm a big guy and wear my belt tight. IWB isn't really comfortable for me. OWB is not hard to conceal if you get a GOOD holster that holds the weapon tight against your body and doesn't let the butt stick out. In some states "printing" (allowing the outline of the gun to show through your clothing) is illegal. With OWB, however, you're pretty much limited to untucked shirts, vests, or jackets 100%.

Kreyzhorse

I'm a big guy and wear my belt tight. IWB isn't really comfortable for me. OWB is not hard to conceal if you get a GOOD holster that holds the weapon tight against your body and doesn't let the butt stick out.

For me, OWB is much more comfortable than IWB. Not sure what size barrel the G33 has but remember that the barrel has to go someplace, if its IWB, that barrel is down your pants. Not bad standing, but sitting down was always pretty uncomfortable to me. Lots of guys on here will go up a pants size to carry IWB too. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

As far as OWB, I find it comfortable and easy to conceal. An untucked shirt and you are in business. With a small gun like a snubnose, a t-shirt will usually conceal it pretty well. If I go Glock 22 or 1911 I'll go with an untucked button up. A plaid or other busy pattern helps to conceal the outline of the gun as well. If you pick an OWB, pick a holster that holds the butt high above your belt line. Check out the Galco Fletch for an example of the style.

Keep in mind that no matter what method you choose, you'll have to learn to dress around your gun.

...if you get a GOOD holster...

define please

In my opinion, a good holster is a leather holster. Any of the companies I listed above make good leather holsters. Mitch Rosen and Milt Sparks are top of the line, Bianchi and Galco make good affordable holsters that you don't have to wait forever to get, Don Hume and Desantis make nice holsters but in my opinion slightly less well built than Galco or Bianchi. All of those makers will serve you well. There are other makers out there that I'm sure I've overlooked. As for leather, leather holds up well, molds to both you and your gun and isn't as hard on the finish as some of the other kydex deals.

Conn. Trooper

I tend to go with belt holsters that stay open and dont require a second hand to hold the holster open in order to reholster. I used to use DeSantis all the time when I worked in that area of NY, but they make flimsy holsters that close/collapse when the gun isnt in them. I prefer either a Kirkpatrick or Black Hills Leather. They have a reinfored top that keeps the holster open. You can put your gun away one handed.

Plus, being a full figured man, I dont care for IWB. I would rather dress to conceal and be comfortable.

Keltyke

Good holster:

Galco, Desantis, Bianchi, Rosen, Sparks. There are others. Heavy, stiff leather, tight, even stitching, well-finished, holds the gun tightly, but releases when pulled (usually adjustable). Get a holster made specifically for the gun. Don't buy something that says: "Fits the X, Y, Z, A, B, and C guns."

Erik

There are many options, and could do much worse than this one:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9922&st=summer special&s=

Stock # 728-002-026 (Glock 26s and 27s are the same size as the 33s.)

Mate it to an appropriate gun belt, sized correctly along with the pants, add a quality magazine carrier off side, and you'll have solved much of the equation resulting in drawer fulls of gear. And... should you later decide on other options, at least you'll be deciding from experience running an industry benchmark.

bikerbill

IWB would be my last choice; I find it uncomfortable and hard to draw from ...

I carry three ways ... in hot weather, PM9 in a Nemesis, right hand pocket

In cool weather, Galco paddle holster, either strong side if not going to be in the car long, or cross-draw if I'm going to be driving a lot ...

this fall, after I find a holster I like, I'll be carrying my new Kimber Ultra Carry II .. expect that will be strong side OWB

cnutco

I'll be carrying my new Kimber Ultra Carry II .. expect that will be strong side OWB

bikerbill,
I am thinking of the samething when I get the Kimber Ultra SIS.
33226434scaled359x384zj9.jpg

Here:
http://www.dmbullardleather.com/1429711.html