Opinions on Flambeau rifle case, others?

tuc22

I am looking for an affordable single or double rifle case that can take some abuse. Here is my criteria:
1. Made of plastic or polypropelene.
2. I can stand on it without it breaking, or popping open, or damaging case or contents.
3. Price under $50.
4. Black in color.
5. Rectangle shape, stackable

I'm considering the Flambeau, GunGuard, SKB.

Charmedlyfe

Don't skimp on cases. If you won't be doing anything more than stacking them in the house, then your selections are fine.

If, however, you plan on travelling, and the case will be handled a lot, or by anyone besides yourself, chuck out the extra bucks and get a good case. (can we say Pelican 1750?)

If it is to case expensive guns, go ahead and spend the bucks for a good case for the extra security. I've seen people with scoped rifles (schmitt & Bendover scope) put them in Wallyworld special super-duper $49.95 cases, then wonder how their $1300.00 scope got messed up.

When figuring out what kind of case to put a rifle in, treat it the same as you would buying the rifle, scope, or shotgun. I'd hate to see a Red Label damaged because a case flexed or gave way. Also, make sure the foam on the inside is dense enough to keep the gun from shifting inside the case.

tuc22

Thanks George, What I need is a case for transporting to the range, to camp, or to the gunsmith inside my SUV. I don't plan to ship on commercial carriers or fly to my African safari adventure with it. I don't want to leave the gun inside the case longer than a day or two. If my needs were absolute protection during unsupervised handling I'd get a Pelican or a Starlight. I want a stackable case with reliable hinges/hardware that can withstand dropping or heavy loads placed or dropped on it. It doesn't need to be waterproof either. I looked at a picture of the Hoppe's Protecto double scoped rifle in camo color, looks like the upper range of my price range.

Charmedlyfe

The Flambeau is a good inexpensive case, but I'd recommend re-lining it with a denser photographic foam to keep the rifle from shifting. It might add 20 bucks to the cost when you get around to doing it, but having a case slide off a back seat onto the floor of the vehicle can be unnerving.

Check the hinges. Open the case and see if there is a lot of flex at the hinges. Also, beware of thin metal hinges. Sometimes the metal will shear. Best of Luck!!!!!

Emwonae

SKB

Without a doubt the SKB cases are fantastick. I have one each for my rifles and bows. I have traveled quite a bit and highly recommend these cases. Do not skimp on protection.

hksigwalther

Although it isn't rectangular, the Field Locker two gun plastic case has provided good service for me to/from the range. The only bad part about it is that the sharp cornered plastic formed feet and hinges tend to snag on carpeting, bed sheets, etc. Each side of the case has three latches (using metal rings). There is a hole at the base of the handle for a lock and an integral loop at the end for hanging. The stock padding inside is the eggcrate variety.